Ubiquiti Unifi Pro Access Point

Garrzilla
Go to solution Solved by KuJoe,

I keep the POE injector as close to the router/switch as possible, otherwise you'll have a POE injector in a spot that will be hard to access and you'll need a power outlet nearby. If you need to power cycle your AP for some reason, it's easier to just go to wherever your router is and pull the single ethernet cable out of it rather than climbing into the attic.

I have 5 POE devices at the moment (2 cameras, 3 APs) so I use this POE injector that I have sitting on top of my 24-port switch. It makes it really easy to power cycle any POE devices and also lets me still monitor the devices with SNMP (compared to an unmanaged POE switch).

The modem I have is a Actiontec PK5000, and this is the Access Point I have. I am currently building a house and want the access point on the bedroom half of the house because the modem/router is in the office on the opposite side. I will be ceiling mounting it, and running the cables in the attic.

My question is, what is the best way to hook up the access point? It comes with a PoE injector, so would I have to run a cable from the modem in the office into the attic and connect it to the access point?

2 minutes ago, Garrzilla said:

The modem I have is a Actiontec PK5000, and this is the Access Point I have. I am currently building a house and want the access point on the bedroom half of the house because the modem/router is in the office on the opposite side. I will be ceiling mounting it, and running the cables in the attic.

My question is, what is the best way to hook up the access point? It comes with a PoE injector, so would I have to run a cable from the modem in the office into the attic and connect it to the access point?

Well you would keep the injector inline between the gateway and the access point. The best place for the injector is closest to the gateway.

My native language is C++

Yes, you will need at least 1 network cable running from the router to the Access Point. I say at least 1 because the UniFi AP Pro accepts 2 connections.

-KuJoe

Unless you have a PoE switch, you will need the PoE injector somewhere between the Router and the AP. Personally, I put the PoE injector near the AP because there's already enough clutter around the centre of my network. Where you put the adaptor doesn't really matter, so you can hide it out of the way rather than putting it near the AP or router. You will have to run a cable from the router to the injector, then another cable from the injector to the AP. 

2 hours ago, tt2468 said:

Well you would keep the injector inline between the gateway and the access point. The best place for the injector is closest to the gateway.

2 hours ago, KuJoe said:

Yes, you will need at least 1 network cable running from the router to the Access Point. I say at least 1 because the UniFi AP Pro accepts 2 connections.

2 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Unless you have a PoE switch, you will need the PoE injector somewhere between the Router and the AP. Personally, I put the PoE injector near the AP because there's already enough clutter around the centre of my network. Where you put the adaptor doesn't really matter, so you can hide it out of the way rather than putting it near the AP or router. You will have to run a cable from the router to the injector, then another cable from the injector to the AP. 

So something like this? Wn1dGTI.png

First thing, I'm guessing I'll have to drill a hole into the wall so I can run the cable from the PoE into the attic, then across to the AP. Also, Its probably going to be 50+ feet of cable, will I need a special cable or is that distance fine?

7 minutes ago, Garrzilla said:

First thing, I'm guessing I'll have to drill a hole into the wall so I can run the cable from the PoE into the attic, then across to the AP. Also, Its probably going to be 50+ feet of cable, will I need a special cable or is that distance fine?

Looks good. You dont need special cable. Cat5e or cat6 works.

My native language is C++

34 minutes ago, Garrzilla said:

Yep, that will work. You don't need a special cable, Cat5e or up will do. I personally have a Ubiquiti UniFi AP Outdoor+ using the PoE injector. I have a 45m (150 feet) Cat6 cable running it no problem. 

Get the injector as close to the modem as you can. Just make sure the cable isn't plugged in to it if you need to cut the other end. (Got some sparks. It was cool)

Breaking things 1 day at a time

I keep the POE injector as close to the router/switch as possible, otherwise you'll have a POE injector in a spot that will be hard to access and you'll need a power outlet nearby. If you need to power cycle your AP for some reason, it's easier to just go to wherever your router is and pull the single ethernet cable out of it rather than climbing into the attic.

I have 5 POE devices at the moment (2 cameras, 3 APs) so I use this POE injector that I have sitting on top of my 24-port switch. It makes it really easy to power cycle any POE devices and also lets me still monitor the devices with SNMP (compared to an unmanaged POE switch).

-KuJoe