Local PC building business - where do I start?

RoroTheDeer

Hey everyone,

I've become really enthused with building PCs in the last couple of years and I would like to potentially expand this into a thing that I can do for local clients in my own free time. The only problem is that I have no idea how to go about doing it - what with the whole getting the service out there, slightly limited funds and the potential for customers actually wanting a PC to be built for them.

Thanks a bunch in advance for the replies! :D 

I say jiggly-bytes when I see "GB".

It goes down better than you would expect.

Uff, can't go in too much detail about starting your own business here, but a few things to consider:

1. Money. How much do you have, how much do you want to make.

2. Time. How much time do you have? Starting any kind of business is either slow or expensive.

3. Experience. How much experience do you have? And I'm not talking about building pcs, but the business stuff. Paying taxes, getting money, getting insurance. If you don't know anything, you should look for a friend/family-member for support.

4. Competition: Who are you competing with? The high end online system builders, modders or even prebuild systems? You should look at their products and your customers and provide a better value than them.

Assuming building PCs is your hobby and you just want to make a few bucks, I wouldn't go for advertising. It's effective, but rather expensive. If you get 1 customer for every 100bucks you spend, you are lucky...

Try talking everybody you know in buying a pc from you. It's maybe awkward at first, but free advertising. If you want to work with local clients (which can be good or bad, depending on your location...) somekind of a network is essential.

If you work with/for people, who know a lot of other people, you can get the wheel spinning without paying a fortune.

Another easy, but a little risky way, is to buy the components from your own money, build a decent system and sell it.

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

As i do right now, i held a course in Smartphones for the local elderly center where i live. During that course i asked if anyone wanted more help at home, and then it spiraled ahead.

Now..there are a few now and then that want´s an upgrade, a driver fix, wi-fi issues etc and as with many, they often need an upgraded system all together.

Then i talk to them individually to start small in their homes. I help them order their upgrades, i install it, and i get a small fee for doing so.

As a start, i feel this is a good way to go and you will not need a warehouse of parts at home or to spend thousands of dollars on parts you "might" need. Start small, and then expand on what YOUR town - city - village has the most need of.

Wish you best of luck!

All of the following assumes that you are in the US.

1. Have at least $5,000 in start up cash. This an absolute minimum number and assumes that you already own all of the hardware, premises, etc. that you will need for your company.

2. Put together a detailed business plan for your idea.

3. Do research on licensing and permitting requirements at the state, local, and national levels for your business and premises. If you are planning to work from home/out of your apartment then check your HOA or lease for their position on home businesses. Check local zoning rules and ordinances for the same.

4. Design the various forms that your business will need, especially anything that the customer will see, and your record keeping system.

5. Take all of the research from 3 and 4 and go to a corporate lawyer (check with your local business development office or university for some recommendations) and pay them to 1) ensure that you are/will be in compliance with all relevant laws, 2) that all of your forms and systems are legally acceptable, and 3) draw up the relevant contract templates for you.

6. Form an LLC for the company. Again talk to a lawyer about how to dump as much liability onto the LLC as possible and how to shield as many assets as possible from potential lawsuits.

7. Get the relevant insurance, especially liability insurance. Yeah, your contracts with your customers should force any lawsuit into arbitration and specifically have them give up as many consumer protection rights as they can legally give up in your jurisdiction but you still want the insurance.

8. Get everything set up so that you are ready to go live.

9. Follow your business plan, adjusting as needed and as you see how good your projections and ideas were.

16 hours ago, Insp1r3 said:

Hey everyone,

I've become really enthused with building PCs in the last couple of years and I would like to potentially expand this into a thing that I can do for local clients in my own free time. The only problem is that I have no idea how to go about doing it - what with the whole getting the service out there, slightly limited funds and the potential for customers actually wanting a PC to be built for them.

Thanks a bunch in advance for the replies! :D 

where you from,

if UK have a look at overclockers. they are based in stoke-on-trent but they ship all across the uk at good prices.

Buy a book about entrepreneurship and how to start a business and read it. 

Or better, if you are still in school, take entrepreneurial classes

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

you'll make more money fixing peoples pc. then when more people know you they might ask you what pc to buy, then you build it.

Several years ago I worked for a local computer-service company.  It was the worst job I ever had.  

Ask yourself this question:  "Do I really want to deal with the kind of people that are so ignorant about computers that they're going to pay some one to do it?" 

Those types of people typically have unreasonable expectations... such as "permanent fix"... or "the bill is just a few dollars."  They will drive you nuts.  Guaranteed. 

Edit||     They'll also blame any/all unrelated issues on you and "whatever you did last" to the computer. 

Don't start a business. If anything, simply build a computer that you can afford right now and then put it on Craigslist or whatever free ad service you have where you live.  Describe it as covered by the manufacturers' warranties. Include (or at least offer) all the components' boxes and receipts. I wouldn't offer any hand-on service with it beyond delivering it and plugging it in.  If it sells, use that money to buy more parts and build another computer.      ... and again... and again.