Multi-Cpu crazy idea

I got this crazy idea stuck in my head and need to get it out before i do something i might regreat. I found this CPU  Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 @ 3.40GHz on PassMark page with a near core i7 6700 non-K performance. And i was wondering since i don't game really hard anymore but i drive many VMs on my pc and use a workload that is more RAM and CPU oriented but scales with cores efficiently.

Can i use this cpu for gaming if i make my setup Quad-CPU? I know that this will propably lead me to windows server but i need the horse power and will propably give me a really nice boost with a minimal cost. I was thinking of going with a Supermicro 4 CPU motherboard for it but i don't know which one supports descreat graphics card yet. I was thinking of going for 2 cpu for start and buy 2 more later.

Am i going to make a huge mistake ? Any suggestions? 

Are you sure that you can get 4 CPU motherboard for 1150 socket? And yeah if you get it you won't use all CPUs for gaming since games use 1 CPU.

The Xeon E3-1231 v3 is an LGA1150 chip and there are no LGA1150 boards with more than one socket.

An easy way to tell how many sockets a newer Xeon supports is by looking at the first digit in its name.

For this CPU it 1, meaning max one socket, while other CPUs, like the E5 2670, support 2 sockets, etc.

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

If you want many cheap cores, you might want to try something like this (Dual E5 2670):

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

So my instict was right. I was going to make a bad choise. Is there a cheap 4 CPU choise if i only buy 2 cores only? 

Oskarha your suggestion is really nice!! 

3 minutes ago, Renegate said:

Yes, in the correct mobo, but what do you need 24 cores for?

Main Rig:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, oskarha said:

Yes, in the correct mobo, but what do you need 24 cores for?

High ammount of packet generation and VM computing. I'm doing many things that require even 1GB/s susteined data production for troubleshooting and optimization.

You can get 8 or more core used Xeon's on the used market for like $60-$80.  It's really cheap infact.  You're real burden is the motherboard.  You have two options:

1) Find a dual socket ATX or EATX workstation grade motherboard.  These tend not to be cheap when they were new and motherboards tend to loose their value poorly since they're a common computer component for fail so there's good demand for them.  So while you can find the CPU's cheap, you won't get the mobo cheap.

2) Salvage a rack mount motherboard that will likely not fit ATX or EATX mountings outright, this is a lot cheaper but you're in for a much bigger headache in trying to get it to even fit and have sufficient ports/slots/connections that are appropriate for a desktop tower.

• 2 weeks later...

I found 2 e5-2687w at 3.1Ghz at 300 euros if i pair them with a Asus Z9PE-D8 WS wouldn't that be a bit better at gaming too? Motherboard is heavy price but the balance of huge xeon performance and a decent gaming performance is great i think. I would prefer to find a motherboard that will support 16 dimm slots for ram because getting 8x16GB seems to be easier and with lower price rather than getting 4x32GB. 

I found the miracle board from Asus that would cover all my needs but none sells it and even worse i think i saw some saying that it costs around 1200 Euros!!! I know some would recommend the Z9PE-D16 but it has the worst reviews from the buyers that i could find.

What do you think guys?