After I delid my 7700K, do I have to put the lid back on?

don't delid, it should be done with old cpus that are not under warranty anymore, in order to achieve better overclocks at lower temperatures. and get some more use out of it.

doing it with a brand new still under warranty i7-7700k is a total waste and utterly stupid, just like those rednecks who like to shoot at lots of still useful valuable stuff.

but hey, our governments doesnt make such wasteful behaviors illegal so i guess it's your money...

there should be a crime called wasteful use of material ressources, which states that even if you bought something, if you break it on purpose you should face consequences.

12 minutes ago, Howitz said:

don't delid, it should be done with old cpus that are not under warranty anymore, in order to achieve better overclocks at lower temperatures. and get some more use out of it.

doing it with a brand new still under warranty i7-7700k is a total waste and utterly stupid, just like those rednecks who like to shoot at lots of still useful valuable stuff.

but hey, our governments doesnt make such wasteful behaviors illegal so i guess it's your money...

there should be a crime called wasteful use of material ressources, which states that even if you bought something, if you break it on purpose you should face consequences.

Very well thought out.

Yes, put the IHS back on, you don't have to glue it though. Floating is better than glued as it allows less space between the die and IHS, which allows for better heat transfer.

Don't delid straight away. Run it for a few weeks, then delid. People keep going on about warranty, but generally chips are really really reliable. Anecdotal, but I've never heard of anyone having to return a CPU because it was faulty. The only problem would be is if you damage the chip from the delidding process you'll have to buy another. I saw a picture on reddit not too long ago of a delidded CPU than had slid out from behind cpu cooler due to not enough pressure holding down the floating IHS

Ultimately, it's your CPU. Delid if you want. I'm going to do the same with 7700k that's arriving today.

9 hours ago, Howitz said:

You are full of shit you have no idea what you are talking about.

Kabe Lake runs alot hotter than Skylake and delidding is required to get good overclocks.

An undelidded 7700K can barely do 1.3vcore with the cores getting to high 80's load temps

My 7700K @ 5.1Ghz @ 1.4vcore gets about high 60's load temps on a stress test using x264 on a Noctua NH-D15 w/ single fan @ 1300RPM w/ Kryonaut and 20c room temp.

RrjL6W7.png

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

24 minutes ago, rcarlos243 said:

Kabe Lake runs alot hotter than Skylake and delidding is required to get good overclocks.

An undelidded 7700K can barely do 1.3vcore with the cores getting to high 80's load temps

My 7700K @ 5.1Ghz @ 1.4vcore gets about high 60's load temps on a stress test using x264 on a Noctua NH-D15 w/ single fan @ 1300RPM w/ Kryonaut and 20c room temp.

Did you get some decent voltage drops with the delid?

Also, have you run RealBench for an hour or more.  I know that x264 is pulling more current through the chip, but I'm just curious about any RealBench runs for general knowledge.

1 hour ago, done12many2 said:

Did you get some decent voltage drops with the delid?

Also, have you run RealBench for an hour or more.  I know that x264 is pulling more current through the chip, but I'm just curious about any RealBench runs for general knowledge.

I don't know about voltage drop but my aim in delidding is dropping the load temps significantly under load.

As an example my undelidded 6700K @ 4.7Ghz @ 1.35vcore with the exact same cooling and room temp gets mid to high 70s on cores under load.

RealBench requires more voltage (I need 1.4vcore instead of 1.39) to pass the test and runs slightly hotter, but I notice no difference in stability in real world applications. I prefer the x264 test because I can test for the absolute lowest stable vcore without getting BSOD or errors in any real world applications.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

6 minutes ago, rcarlos243 said:

I don't know about voltage drop but the point of delidding is dropping the load temps significantly under load.

As an example my 6700K @ 4.7Ghz @ 1.35vcore with the exact same cooling and room temp gets mid to high 70s on cores under load.

RealBench requires more voltage (I need 1.4vcore instead of 1.39) to pass the test and runs slightly hotter, but I notice no difference in stability in real world applications. I prefer the x264 test because I can test for the absolute lowest stable vcore without getting BSOD or errors in any real world applications.

I understand the point of delidding, but more often than not, substantial drops in temps will also bring about a decrease in voltage, hence my question.

I'm in the process of testing everything with the IHS intact, but I should be popping the top today on very soon.  I'll have to add x264 to my tests to do before delidding.

**Also, what are you running cache at with your 5.1 overclock?

1 hour ago, rcarlos243 said:

RrjL6W7.png

yeah okay go ahead delid you cpus... don't come back crying when you break one.

Stupidest topic title of the millennium...

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

So for those who are on the verge of moral outrage over what happens to this guy's CPU - ten years from now you'll read your own post and wish you can go back in time and kick yourself in the nuts.   It's his $300.. whether it works or goes up in flames, it'll be a $300 lesson and he'll be smarter for it.

IIRC, back in the early athlon days when mounting directly on the die was a thing everyone lived with (using those stupid tension clip doodads no less) some companies made a shim/spacer that sat around the die so that the whole surface was a uniform height.   I wonder how easy it would be to make one, or if anyone already makes one. 

I'm not an expert! In fact I'm usually just 1 google search ahead of you.