After I delid my 7700K, do I have to put the lid back on?

I'm going to use a Rockit 88 tool to delid my 7700K, do I have to put the IHS (metal lid) back on after I take it off? Or can I just mount a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm cooler on the exposed die directly? 
Either way I'm going to be using Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra thermal paste. Let me know what you think.

why did you delid your cpu without not knowing this before hand. replace the thermal paste and put your cpu back the way it was. you can kill your cpu by deliding, its a stupid idea to even do such thing. 

8 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

why did you delid your cpu without not knowing this before hand. replace the thermal paste and put your cpu back the way it was. you can kill your cpu by deliding, its a stupid idea to even do such thing. 

I said "I going to" by which I meant: "I'm going to." The 7700k is being shipped to me right now.

6 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Is this your first build?

If so don't even think about delidding.

On top of that Linus has shown delidding only yields a roughly 5C performance increase. IMO it's not worth it for the risk or a destroyed $300 CPU

Probably my 11th build. Last one is in my post history.
Also, I don't think you're right:
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/delidded-core-i7-7700k-runs-26-degrees-c-cooler.html

When you delid you also void your warranty. And yes you put it back on. The point of delidding is to put on better thermal paste.

1 minute ago, raptor15sc said:

I said "I going to" by which I meant: "I'm going to." The 7700k is being shipped to me right now.

Probably may 11th build. Last one is in my post history.
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/delidded-core-i7-7700k-runs-26-degrees-c-cooler.html

don't its stupid delidding is a stupid concept to use right now. please be smart and don't mess up your CPU. 

If you're going to delid anyways, I recommend you buy a delidder tool so you don't frustrate yourself.

To all those hating on delidding, please don't speak about that which you don't know. It isn't your fault, Linus' video was basically a PSA saying don't do it , without showing why it is great. He only took it off, put some crappy thermal paste on, and replaced it. 

Yes, it is dangerous, and can void your warranty, but is an excellent way to get better performance if you are willing to shoulder the risk and have the ability.

The two good reasons to delid are if you plan on cooling the exposed die directly, or if you replace the TIM for the heat spreader with something better like liquid metal, as you can see all over the internet, using better TIM solutions and one of these methods can easily get you 10-25 degree improvements depending on which processor generation you are using.

So, OP, do some research, and decide which level of risk and benefit is right for you, and choose that. Both are valid options.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

6 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

If you're going to delid anyways, I recommend you buy a delidder tool so you don't frustrate yourself.

In the first line of my post I mentioned the tool I am going to use by name.

5 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

To all those hating on delidding, please don't speak about that which you don't know. It isn't your fault, Linus' video was basically a PSA saying don't do it , without showing why it is great. He only took it off, put some crappy thermal paste on, and replaced it. 

Yes, it is dangerous, and can void your warranty, but is an excellent way to get better performance if you are willing to shoulder the risk and have the ability.

The two good reasons to delid are if you plan on cooling the exposed die directly, or if you replace the TIM for the heat spreader with something better like liquid metal, as you can see all over the internet, using better TIM solutions and one of these methods can easily get you 10-25 degree improvements depending on which processor generation you are using.

So, OP, do some research, and decide which level of risk and benefit is right for you, and choose that. Both are valid options.

I was hoping someone here had already done the research...
I fear the Water 3.0 Ultimate won't sit low enough in its own mount to touch a non-lidded chip.

1 minute ago, raptor15sc said:

I fear the Water 3.0 Ultimate won't sit low enough in it's own mount to touch a non-lidded chip.

By all means, if you already have the tool then go ahead. You will void your warranty however.

Just now, raptor15sc said:

I fear the Water 3.0 Ultimate won't sit low enough in it's own mount to touch a non-lidded chip.

Unfortunately I haven't used that particular chip, you can try mounting it with no CPU in the socket and see how low it goes, that'll help.

As for deciding for direct contact, since you're not doing LN2, I personally wouldn't. It is much riskier, as the silicon is quite fragile, and uneven pressure can really do you in. Yes, in the olden days that's how everyone mounted cooler, but more CPUs died back then too:)

If you get yourself some proper TIM for delidding, even if you use the heat spreader, you can still get some very noticable temp improvements. That's what I'd do if I were you.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

20 minutes ago, raptor15sc said:

I'm going to use a Rockit 88 tool to delid my 7700K, do I have to put the IHS (metal lid) back on after I take it off? Or can I just mount a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm cooler on the exposed die directly? 
Either way I'm going to be using Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra thermal paste. Let me know what you think.

Delidding isn't going to be worth it the 7700K already has reasonable temps under a 240mm radiator, and you're not likely to get much past 5ghz no matter how much you cool it outside of Ln2

just spend that money on faster RAM if you haven't purchased anything yet, may help in a few cases for a tiny bit more performance

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I recommend practicing on an old CPU before doing it on a 7700K.

It is worth it if you be very careful and understand the consequences.

You have the put the IHS back on.

---Me Rig---

-CPU- 

Intel i7-6700K

-GPU- 

Gigabyte RX 5600XT OC 6GB

-STORAGE- 

1x Western Digital 1TB HDD

1x Samsung M.2 1TB SSD

1x Crucial 275GB MX300 SSD

-RAM- 

Team Group 2 x 8GB DDR4 2400mHZ

-PSU- 

Corsair CX-M Series CX650M 

-MOBO- 

Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 6

-CASE-

Phanteks P400S Satin Black TG Edition

-PERIPHERALS-

Logitech g502 RGB and Blackwidow Elite.

-PART PICKER URL-

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Jf9tbj

Have a Nice Day, Give us a Thumbs up if I helped you, Why Not?

2 minutes ago, KillerGamingBro said:

I recommend practicing on an old CPU before doing it on a 7700K.

It is worth it if you be very careful and understand the consequences.

You have the put the IHS back on.

You do not have to do that, look up CPUs from the 80s and 90s, they didn't even have them back then.

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Delidding isn't going to be worth it the 7700K already has reasonable temps under a 240mm radiator, and you're not likely to get much past 5ghz no matter how much you cool it outside of Ln2

just spend that money on faster RAM if you haven't purchased anything yet, may help in a few cases for a tiny bit more performance

Or you could buy food, more/better storage, better graphics, lighting, pretty much anything more useful than faster RAM. Also other than TIM, what else you do expect OP to be spending money on? Delidding gets rid of stuff, it doesn't add more!

1 minute ago, tarfeef101 said:

You do not have to do that, look up CPUs from the 80s and 90s, they didn't even have them back then.

Or you could buy food, more/better storage, better graphics, lighting, pretty much anything more useful than faster RAM. Also other than TIM, what else you do expect OP to be spending money on? Delidding gets rid of stuff, it doesn't add more!

I know they didn't, although most people I have seen put it back on.

---Me Rig---

-CPU- 

Intel i7-6700K

-GPU- 

-STORAGE- 

1x Samsung M.2 1TB SSD

-RAM- 

-PSU- 

-MOBO- 

Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 6

-CASE-

-PERIPHERALS-

-PART PICKER URL-

1 minute ago, KillerGamingBro said:

I know they didn't, although most people I have seen put it back on.

Then don't say "you have to put the IHS back on"!!!! 

15 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Don't delid your CPU. If you do so it will make it harder to resell later. 

Some people see value in a cpu that's been properly delidded so they don't have to do it themselves.

12 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

using better TIM solutions and one of these methods can easily get you 10-25 degree improvements depending on which processor generation you are using.

The temperature decrease is from decreasing the gap between the ihs and die by removing the adhesive around it. The stock TIM on the die is actually excellent.

22 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

On top of that Linus has shown delidding only yields a roughly 5C performance increase. IMO it's not worth it for the risk of a destroyed $300 CPU

The stock cooler used in the video doesn't apply much pressure which doesn't show much of the benefit from delidding. More robust mounting hardware will show the usual ~20c decrease at load that you hear from delidding. I see a similar small improvement from delidding when using a stock cooler like in Linus' video.

The IHS doesn't need to be placed back on but it doesn't hurt much and makes it easier to get a good mount and can protect the die from uneven pressure.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, tarfeef101 said:

Then don't say "you have to put the IHS back on"!!!! 

Sorry, I will reword it.

Most people I have seen put the IHS back on, so I would say that is recommended to prevent damage .

---Me Rig---

-CPU- 

Intel i7-6700K

-GPU- 

-STORAGE- 

1x Samsung M.2 1TB SSD

-RAM- 

-PSU- 

-MOBO- 

Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 6

-CASE-

-PERIPHERALS-

-PART PICKER URL-

1 minute ago, KillerGamingBro said:

Sorry, I will reword it.

Most people I have seen put the IHS back on, so I would say that is recommended to prevent damage .

Thanks!!! Glad to see progress being made (some other chain I'm in right now is going the complete opposite direction...)

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The temperature decrease is from decreasing the gap between the ihs and die by removing the adhesive around it. The stock TIM on the die is actually excellent.

Mostly true, although depending on the CPU generation the TIM can in fact be an issue (see: Haswell before Devil's Canyon)

5 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

Mostly true, although depending on the CPU generation the TIM can in fact be an issue (see: Haswell before Devil's Canyon)

Part of the improvement is due to better voltage regulation and not just due to the TIM. I have my suspicions that the TIM made very little noticeable difference.

4 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

OK, well i've also seen delidded i5''s and i7's on ebay delidded for slightly less than a non-delidded CPU just because the buyer was sceptical the CPU even worked in the first place.

There are also non-delidded cpus cheaper than a delidded one. If you're buying used, prices aren't static.

If the buyer is skeptical, that's down to the buyer either buying from a shady place or not knowing much about cpus. If a cpu is working when you get it, it's unlikely to die. If you're buying something, there should be some sort of buyer's protection if what you're buying is defective.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

46 minutes ago, raptor15sc said:

Probably my 11th build. Last one is in my post history.

Just pay Silicon Lottery the $40 to do it for you. If it gets fucked up then they will replace it.

To be brutally honest, simply by asking this question you have proved that you should not be delidding your CPU in the first place.

1 hour ago, Paradine Sage said:

Just pay Silicon Lottery the $40 to do it for you. If it gets fucked up then they will replace it.

To be brutally honest, simply by asking this question you have proved that you should not be delidding your CPU in the first place.

Simply by saying this you have proved that you didn't understand my actual question.

12 minutes ago, raptor15sc said:

Simply by saying this you have proved that you didn't understand my actual question.

Doing a direct die mount when you are using an AIO and aren't already using a liquid metal TIM is kinda idiotic.

Direct die mounting in the first place is mostly something that should only be done when you are trying for hall of fame level overclocks, and if you were doing that then you wouldn't be asking the question at all (much less on this forum). Frankly it's not something that even the best overclockers in the world do for daily driver systems.

I would delid as a last resort to fix temps or RMA it even before that if its unbearable! :D

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

If your worried about breaking your CPU buy it from silicon lottery & have them delid it (or send yours to them). You can even get a 7700k binned up to 5.2 Ghz from them for x2 the price.

Nothing wrong with delidding, if your aware of the risks and the op sounds like he is... especially if he's using a delidding tool. He's not taking about taking a razor blade to it. Hardest part is not getting the liquid metal in the wrong spot and that's what tape is for.

To answer your actual question OP,  it depends on the motherboard. The hieght difference without the IHS is the problem and you need to make sure you MB has an adjustable mount. 

Also, for folks who think direct die with AIO is pointless, AIO can under some circumstances, be more effective for getting temps down as there are less components generating heat as there are in your typical custom loop. I.E. You aren't sharing hot water with 2+ GPUs.

OP given the feedback in this thread, you might want to ask these kind of questions on an OC forum.