Looking for a Cheap 1440p Monitor

VenomousDeer

Hello all!

I'm curious what are some good monitors on the cheaper side of things.  I'm a college student and I've been pretty unproductive my last few semesters.  I'm trying to make a proper work station and I think having a monitor and keyboard and mouse set up will really help.  

So, my question is, what is a good monitor for such a purpose?  I have no interest in curves or G/Free-sync as that would skyrocket the price.  What I would like though is at least 1440p and around 24 inches or larger.  Above 60hz would be a huge plus, too.  I saw some screens that met these specs on paper with a quick Amazon search, but obviously there's more to a panel than the numbers and Linus only does reviews for ones WAY out of my price range.

Thanks everyone!

Why not do your work at the library? Like at my uni they have computers equipped with all the necessary software for your course and there is almost always one free.

In my flat there are loads of distractions so going to the library is pretty much the only option for cramming.

16 minutes ago, Mug said:

Why not do your work at the library? Like at my uni they have computers equipped with all the necessary software for your course and there is almost always one free.

In my flat there are loads of distractions so going to the library is pretty much the only option for cramming.

Yeah, to be more productive go to the library/computer lab. But a 1440p monitor is nice.

2 minutes ago, nickspacemonkey said:

Yeah, to be more productive go to the library/computer lab. But a 1440p monitor is nice.

I suppose it is.

If I really wnated a 27" 1440p monitor, I'd get one of those korean ones from Ebay, they're about £200 and usually have ex-Apple displays meaning that you get great value. You could also go for something like the BenQ BL2420PT which is 1440p 24".

@Mug @nickspacemonkey

I use the library from time to time (our computer labs are meh), but it would just be a huge plus to have a station a couple feet from my bed to code, read, and write. Something about getting up, getting ready, and walking through snow that kills my motivation.  Not a very good excuse, but I'm sticking with it!

If I looked on Ebay for those, would I just type in "Korean 27" 1440p monitor" and I would get what you're referring to? I've stayed away from Ebay after a few bad experiences, so I'm worried I'll mess up the search somehow.

What BenQ would you recommend for going 27"?  Does this one look good, for example? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYCSRSG/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c_x_1_w?th=1

And for models like this one from ASUS, what does the 178 degrees version mean and why does it cost more?  Ex: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PB277Q-WQHD-2560x1440-Monitor/dp/B01EN3Z7QQ/ref=pd_sbs_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01EN3Z7QQ&pd_rd_r=GA9MC6PEW31AYSMZ8JVD&pd_rd_w=l2utL&pd_rd_wg=JObsB&refRID=GA9MC6PEW31AYSMZ8JVD&th=1 

In general, how I do I as a consumer tell that the panel will be of quality?

19 minutes ago, VenomousDeer said:

If I looked on Ebay for those, would I just type in "Korean 27" 1440p monitor" and I would get what you're referring to? I've stayed away from Ebay after a few bad experiences, so I'm worried I'll mess up the search somehow

You usually get there by typing in "Pixel perfect 27" monitor" that way you'll get no dead pixels guaranteed and the price should be ~$250.

21 minutes ago, VenomousDeer said:

What BenQ would you recommend for going 27"?  Does this one look good, for example? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KYCSRSG/ref=s9_acsd_al_bw_c_x_1_w?th=1

I wouldn't necessarily recommend BenQ as I have no experience with them.

At the distance I sit 27" makes me feel sick but yeah, that one looks promising. Make sure you shop around more because $300 is lots to be dropping on a monitor as a student.