G sync problem with a fixed 60 fps game

edgarcam

I've follow all the necessary steps (at least all that I've been reading about) to enable g sync and play Dark Souls 3 i.e. turn off v sync, enable g sync in full screen and windowed modes.. And I know the game is fixed at fps of 60.

However, when I play it with g sync, it experiences screen tearing even at 60 fps (which is mostly constant). I tried Shadows of Mordor fixed at 100 fps with v sync disabled and g sync works great. The only two ways I've found to avoid this issue is by:

1) turning on v sync again, but then I think that rules out g sync, and

2) Changing the "Preferred refresh rate" option in "Manage 3D Settings" in the NVIDIA Control Panel from "Application-controlled" to "Highest Available".

The second option works and the tearing disappears, but then the screen starts flickering during the loading screens. Moreover, the in-game fps counter of steam shows ~60 fps, but the built-in fps counter of my monitor shows ~120. This issue with different counts between the monitor and the applications happens quite often [ why?? :( ].

I am not the only one with this problem, I have found a lot of discussions but in none of them there's a straight answer about it or are very old.

Please, if anyone knows something about it let me know.

Specs:

Windows 10

Game running with Steam
Monitor: Acer Predator z271, 144hz, G sync
Laptop: MSI Titan i7 6820hk and gtx 1070

***The monitor and the laptop are connected through displayport.

If you're on Windows 10, then uninstall the xbox app. That usually causes some issues with games and fps-locking.

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

When you have gysnc on are you able to quit the game or do you get a hanging black screen (once you quit from the main menu)
If you don't then it's likely gsync isn't on in your game, as this is a common problem with dark souls 3 and gsync.

Have you checked the nvidia control panel and the dark souls 3 specific profile to make sure gsync is enabled?

ds.PNG

ds2.PNG

ds3.PNG

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

45 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

When you have gysnc on are you able to quit the game or do you get a hanging black screen (once you quit from the main menu)
If you don't then it's likely gsync isn't on in your game, as this is a common problem with dark souls 3 and gsync.

Have you checked the nvidia control panel and the dark souls 3 specific profile to make sure gsync is enabled?

ds.PNG

ds2.PNG

ds3.PNG

Yes, I just double-checked it and it is on. I ran some tests:

1) I used your settings (Preferred Refresh Rate: Highest Available, Gsync: On, Vertical sync: On) and the thing with the black screen happens when exiting the game along with the flickering during loading times but no tearing. FPS_steam: 60, FPS_monitor: 120.

2) Then the second set (Preferred Refresh Rate: Highest Available, Gsync: On, Vertical sync: Off) gives the same result as 1). FPS_steam: 60, FPS_monitor: 120.

3) The third set (Preferred Refresh Rate: 3D application controlled, Gsync: On, Vertical sync: Off) makes the black screen and flickering disappear, but then the tearing appears, like g sync is off. FPS_steam: 60, FPS_monitor: 60 (the same for run 4)

4) The final set (Preferred Refresh Rate: 3D application controlled, Gsync: On, Vertical sync: On) runs smoothly with the occasional tearing when my fps run a little below 60 and v sync comes into play (which is not often), meaning that G sync is not on.... sad but true \m/ (-_-) \m/

I do not really know what is happening, but I think it is related to the offset of the fps between the monitor and the gpu/application/idontknow.

16 hours ago, edgarcam said:

Yes, I just double-checked it and it is on. I ran some tests:

1) I used your settings (Preferred Refresh Rate: Highest Available, Gsync: On, Vertical sync: On) and the thing with the black screen happens when exiting the game along with the flickering during loading times but no tearing. FPS_steam: 60, FPS_monitor: 120.

2) Then the second set (Preferred Refresh Rate: Highest Available, Gsync: On, Vertical sync: Off) gives the same result as 1). FPS_steam: 60, FPS_monitor: 120.

3) The third set (Preferred Refresh Rate: 3D application controlled, Gsync: On, Vertical sync: Off) makes the black screen and flickering disappear, but then the tearing appears, like g sync is off. FPS_steam: 60, FPS_monitor: 60 (the same for run 4)

4) The final set (Preferred Refresh Rate: 3D application controlled, Gsync: On, Vertical sync: On) runs smoothly with the occasional tearing when my fps run a little below 60 and v sync comes into play (which is not often), meaning that G sync is not on.... sad but true \m/ (-_-) \m/

I do not really know what is happening, but I think it is related to the offset of the fps between the monitor and the gpu/application/idontknow.

Very strange results.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000