iGoogle Officially Shutdown, The End Of Personalized Google

SethAFitzgerald

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.inquisitr.com/1017391/igoogle-officially-shutdown-the-end-of-personalized-google/

Since July we have known that Google would but shutting down its personalized homepage service, iGoogle. That time has finally come with iGoogle officially being shutdown after being around for eight years.

iGoogle was a relatively popular service but development for it seemed to slow down as time went on and once 2013 came, Google no longer had much interest in keeping iGoogle around

Did you ever use iGoogle? If so, are you upset that Google has completely shutdown the service?

Follow me on Twitter!

Technology Journalist at TechnologyTell, NextPowerUp, and others. 

I didn't really use it. But the most surprising thing is that Apple didn't sue Google for the lower case i IMO.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

I haven't heard of iGoogle for YEARS. Completely forgot about it. Guess that just shows how relevant it was. Spoiler: it kind of wasn't. 

I'm pretty sure the last time I heard someone actually mention it was like 2010, so it was far from "popular." For the fun of it I looked at Twitter and there were only a handful of people even mentioning the shutdown.

Completely different than the Google Reader shutdown which some people are still mad about. 

Follow me on Twitter!

I've never heard of iGoogle.

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

Looked ugly in my opinion.

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

FULL ARTICLE: http://www.inquisitr.com/1017391/igoogle-officially-shutdown-the-end-of-personalized-google/

Did you ever use iGoogle? If so, are you upset that Google has completely shutdown the service?

I just missed the costomisable background on the non igoogle page

Energy can not be created nor destroyed, just converted to a different Type of energy.
My blog: T3Krant.blogspot.com

I used it. It was kinda nice as a home page 'cause I could easily see new emails and also a load of rss feeds for podcasts and news.

"What the... You're not made of Tuesday!"  ―Roberto

I used it. It was amazingly useful to see everything at a glance.

I replaced it with Amazing New Tab Page. Or something to that effect. It's an extension for chrome. I'll use it until Google now appears on chrome, which will happen eventually.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I really liked using iGoogle. It was a very useful homepage with emails, news, some RSS feeds and lots of other widgets. Now I need to find an alternative. 

im my entire life ... i have never heard of igoogle :mellow:  

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

i used it till the last day.

RIP my homepage. :(

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

Don't really care about iGoogle but worried if this trend of shutting down google products carries on.

I had been using it for years! Now I need a replacement :( cant go back to the simpe google page

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

Don't really care about iGoogle but worried if this trend of shutting down google products carries on.

They do have a logical replacement: Google Now. It's pretty good on Android devices and is only logical that they'll add it to Chrome. In fact, Google Now related code was found in a Chrome build. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I used it a few years ago, but then just changed it with the "about:newtab" in firefox. I figured I'd save more time by easily opening my favourite tabs than by having igoogle.

It makes me sad, i think http://google.dk/ig was a European thing. All my work buddy's, including family and friends used iGoogle. I don't understand why Google really wanted to shut this down, its a move in the wrong direction forcing people to use local files aka chrome browser and add addons "DOH!" Google told us, suck it in and use chrome....

I believe i have found a good alternative where i can do whatever i want however there's still some things i don't like which needs to either be fixed or added.

Here's my preview of a great alternative.

Its simple, clean and works fast and the most important thing you can do whatever you want.

Mind you, I'm still customizing etc.

Protopage.

http://www.protopage.com/wazerig

I used it occasionally for reminders, it had a nice setup. It will be missed by the few who used it. Maybe if they advertised it or actually told people about it, it might have been popular.

I used it occasionally for reminders, it had a nice setup. It will be missed by the few who used it. Maybe if they advertised it or actually told people about it, it might have been popular.

Ya, I'm pretty sure it would have still been shutdown even if it was popular simply because Google wants all of its services to be interconnected and iGoogle did not really fit in with that goal. 

Kind of the same reason they shutdown Google Reader. 

Follow me on Twitter!