Network Circumvention

Alright, I was going to try to format this all fancy, but I gave up pretty quick. 

Hi, Let's get to the story and issue I want to resolve/discuss....

I am a college Sophomore, and I have a dorm room.

I pay around 100$/month for access to the "Premium Internet Package", giving me 100Mb/10Mb Speeds (with a nice, low ping) to the Rj-45 in my room, connected to my little router to get wifi for my laptop and phone. 

But these ass-cakes, they decided they could control website access...

I have no contract with them to not proxy my way out. I have nothing saying I won't, no agreements. So, brings my statement.

I want to get passed the filtering, I want to get passed the VPN Blocking, the well known proxy blocking. YOUTUBE BEING BLOCKED.

DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO WAIT UNTIL I COME HOME ON WEEKENDS TO WATCH LTT????
/very/

So, my long and short of it is, I cannot connect to VPNs or Proxies that are available to me. But I thought of something, and I want you to hear me out.

I figure I have a laptop sitting at home (with my grandparents) that can easily be left on, connected to power / Internet , So I thought, could I host my OWN proxy that I could put in my android wi-fi settings and bypass all of the stupid filtering implements. (Yes, I know Proxies slow down traffic)

I'm not the brightest bulb in the basket, but I am CompTIA A+ Certified, and I believe I have a pretty decent understanding of Ports and internet systems. 

This Laptop is running windows (and I can not change that), so I can use this as the actual "Proxy Server"

My Android Smartphone is a SGS5, Soon to be upgraded to a OP3T

Any constructive responses are beloved, thank you for reading and any help you might offer

~I hate college so much...

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 Cooling: N/A  Motherboard: N/A  Ram: 32GB

HDD: 4TB RAID 1 Array (two 4TB)  PSU: N/A Case: N/A OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Something Something Logitech

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2016 Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M40X Speakers: ??? Monitor: 2 x HP 22cwa  Phone: OnePlus 3T (T-Mobile Network)

26 minutes ago, Divide_By_0 said:

Alright, I was going to try to format this all fancy, but I gave up pretty quick. 

Hi, Let's get to the story and issue I want to resolve/discuss....

I am a college Sophomore, and I have a dorm room.

I pay around 100$/month for access to the "Premium Internet Package", giving me 100Mb/10Mb Speeds (with a nice, low ping) to the Rj-45 in my room, connected to my little router to get wifi for my laptop and phone. 

But these ass-cakes, they decided they could control website access...

I have no contract with them to not proxy my way out. I have nothing saying I won't, no agreements. So, brings my statement.

I want to get passed the filtering, I want to get passed the VPN Blocking, the well known proxy blocking. YOUTUBE BEING BLOCKED.

DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO WAIT UNTIL I COME HOME ON WEEKENDS TO WATCH LTT????
/very/

So, my long and short of it is, I cannot connect to VPNs or Proxies that are available to me. But I thought of something, and I want you to hear me out.

I figure I have a laptop sitting at home (with my grandparents) that can easily be left on, connected to power / Internet , So I thought, could I host my OWN proxy that I could put in my android wi-fi settings and bypass all of the stupid filtering implements. (Yes, I know Proxies slow down traffic)

I'm not the brightest bulb in the basket, but I am CompTIA A+ Certified, and I believe I have a pretty decent understanding of Ports and internet systems. 

This Laptop is running windows (and I can not change that), so I can use this as the actual "Proxy Server"

My Android Smartphone is a SGS5, Soon to be upgraded to a OP3T

Any constructive responses are beloved, thank you for reading and any help you might offer

~I hate college so much...

well try making your own proxy if that works your good . i guess you tried using tunnel bear ?

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

10 hours ago, gamerking said:

well try making your own proxy if that works your good . i guess you tried using tunnel bear ?

That's what I'm asking, whats the best way to make a proxy.

I've tried the top 20 VPNs on the Android Market, including a few paid ones. - No go.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 Cooling: N/A  Motherboard: N/A  Ram: 32GB

HDD: 4TB RAID 1 Array (two 4TB)  PSU: N/A Case: N/A OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Something Something Logitech

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2016 Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M40X Speakers: ??? Monitor: 2 x HP 22cwa  Phone: OnePlus 3T (T-Mobile Network)

You can use SSH tunneling if you host a Linux server somewhere on the net or have access to one.

Just tunnel all traffic via an encrypted tunnel and let the linux box work as an external edge router for you.

*EDIT*

I should probably elaborate, you can simply use Putty to perform a tunnel for traffic and push the traffic out of the network via any port.  So, heres what I would do;

Use a hosted Linux server and listen on SSH on port 443

Setup Putty to Tunnel all traffic via a tunnel on port 443
I have suggested 443 as it will NOT be blocked on the firewall you are behind in the school and it will just be seen as encrypted traffic (which also goes via 443 as standard) so the likelyhood of being seen is minimal.

Here is some additional reading for you;

https://chamibuddhika.wordpress.com/2012/03/21/ssh-tunnelling-explained/

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

First step is to make sure they're not using their DNS to block your access. So make sure you're using google or some other DNS servers (8.8.8.8 or 4.4.4.4). They can very easily stop you from doing this, but something to try at least.

If they're blocking websites, it's likely in some ToS you simply didn't read. If they're a paid-for ISP then under the net neutrality act (albeit about to be axed soon) they cannot censor or block your traffic. But who the hell wants 100/10 if not for media consumption?

Blocking proxies and VPNs is like whack-a-mole and very difficult, so they're probably using some expensive tech like palo alto or F5 with a very expensive subscription.

One last thing to think about - if you do find a way around their filtering and start hammering their bandwidth every month - you'll probably get flagged for investigation (to determine where a majority of your traffic comes from) and they'll either write you a nastygram or block whatever method they see you using. IE you create a proxy at home and they see 99% of your traffic going to a single IP, they'll just black list it.

Worth a shot, at least. Is there any "Quick" Solution for Windows as the host? Like, just run an exe, point it at port X and then broadcast it to my modem? (I have a No-IP Service)

1 hour ago, Divide_By_0 said:

Worth a shot, at least. Is there any "Quick" Solution for Windows as the host? Like, just run an exe, point it at port X and then broadcast it to my modem? (I have a No-IP Service)

did you search "college name"  unblock youtube ect and see if somewhere someone got a quick fix for you . the simplest thing would be to make your own one by putty or try one of the other ways around it . you pay for this right the internet ? if so they cant block it .

if its included with your overall money to the college your SOL . unless you get around the blocking . 

when i was in college it was as simple as your dns switch to google and it worked . but you 99% will get some forum of IT or the people that run the internet asking you what you are doing . they may just block you from connecting if you have a login if you dont respond [i didnt at first they blocked my ass .] i used its for my classes and they took it .

1 hour ago, Divide_By_0 said:

for windows , does your home have a fairly new router r7000 ect  alot of them now come with openvpn support so  it becomes the server . i think  need a static ip for this unless you have someone who can tell you when the new IP when it switches from your home . {this is not at your school }

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

Hey @Divide_By_0,

Your issue sounds more like the college blocking ports, and this could potentially be related to them not wanting students to use proxies. Though it could very well be them blocking ports that have been abused or "unnecessary". I'm unsure if Android can use OpenVPN, but looking at my PIA VPN (much quicker than Tunnelbear IMO) the only port I see that may work on a connection like this, and this is permitting they don't DNAT this port to forward to their own server/s, would be Port 53 (DNS). If you have a laptop available, you may be better off finding a VPN that will use Port 80 or 443. This will truly determine the extent of the problem. You might be able to get away with a VPN like this, or an application utilizing 80/443... or you may need to setup something on premise (your home). Please note, if you end up deploying a solution at your home, you'll be restricted by your upload speed. Essentially your upload speed is the max download speed the device will get.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Remix

Please (@mention) my username. Otherwise I may not see your message!