quad core showing as 2 cores in cinebench

Go to solution Solved by DrJones,

My only guess would be that AMD defines a "thread" as a "core", where you have two physical cores, but 4 virtual cores or "threads".

Intel, to my knowledge, someone correct me if I'm wrong is sort-of backwards to this. Where a 4-core i7 with hyper-threading has 4 physical cores and 8 threads. That's why AMD advertises things such as the first consumer 8-core back in the day but it actually only had 4 cores with 8 threads. Whereas Intel already had something like that but they advertise it as a 4 core because that's what it actually is.

Basically 4 core AMD= 2 cores, 4 threads.

4 core i7= 4 cores, 8 threads

An i5 does not have hyper threading and is therefore 4 cores, 4 threads (I think)

hi I was just running Add to dictionary and noticed that its displaying that I have two cores when I have aa quad core.

I previously set up a vm and gave it ram and cpu cores. this is the only cause that I can think of as to why this would happen. I have since deleted that and all virtual machines that have been on this computer.

any help or advice would be much appreciated.

20170104_230953[1].jpg

All AMD chips show as half as many as they claim to have. Its nothing to worry about.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

My only guess would be that AMD defines a "thread" as a "core", where you have two physical cores, but 4 virtual cores or "threads".

Intel, to my knowledge, someone correct me if I'm wrong is sort-of backwards to this. Where a 4-core i7 with hyper-threading has 4 physical cores and 8 threads. That's why AMD advertises things such as the first consumer 8-core back in the day but it actually only had 4 cores with 8 threads. Whereas Intel already had something like that but they advertise it as a 4 core because that's what it actually is.

Basically 4 core AMD= 2 cores, 4 threads.

4 core i7= 4 cores, 8 threads

An i5 does not have hyper threading and is therefore 4 cores, 4 threads (I think)

11 minutes ago, liamBond said:

hi I was just running Add to dictionary and noticed that its displaying that I have two cores when I have aa quad core.

I previously set up a vm and gave it ram and cpu cores. this is the only cause that I can think of as to why this would happen. I have since deleted that and all virtual machines that have been on this computer.

any help or advice would be much appreciated.

20170104_230953[1].jpg

This is correct, AMD FX cpus are 1 core 2 modules, in this case its shows 2 cores 4 modules. 4 modules = 4 cores .. its confusing

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

That's because your CPU isn't a 'real' quad core, just like the 8350 isn't a real octa core, their structure is like X physical cores with two modules each, so if your CPU is a quad core, you have 2 physical cores and 4 modules, you can check that also in the Performance tab in the Task Manager.

HARDWARE:

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.6GHz

Mobo: Asus Z170-A

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac AMP!

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB

HDD: Segate 1TB

Power Supply: Enermax MaxPro 600W

Case: NZXT H440 V2

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z

PERIPHERALS:

Monitors: LG 27UD59 and Asus MG248Q

Keyboard: Cooler Master Trigger Z

Mouse: Logitech MX Master

Speakers: Mackie CR4

Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro and Audio Technica ATH-M50X

thank you all very much, I suddenly thought that I had messed it up when deleting the vms and thank you for breaking it down and explaining it.

kind regards Liam Bond

6 minutes ago, liamBond said:

thank you all very much, I suddenly thought that I had messed it up when deleting the vms and thank you for breaking it down and explaining it.

kind regards Liam Bond

Its actually because cinebench uses floating points rather than the cores.  So a fx4xxx only has 2 floating points even though it has 4 cores and 4 threads.  It means it's can work at very high frequencys :D

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

13 minutes ago, DrJones said:

That's why AMD advertises things such as the first consumer 8-core back in the day but it actually only had 4 cores with 8 threads

Its a 8 core, but with shared floating point units.

There are still 8 Cores with there own integer units, L1 cache, and other parts.

The kernel in Linux and windows 7(with updates) and newer changed the scheduler so that they will use one core on each module first, then use the second core on the modules after the first ones are all used, just like how its scheduled with SMT. 

They applied this update a bit after the launch of the 8150 with a good performance jump(around 5%) in some programs. If you ran the orginal version of windows 7 or XP, it would should 8 cores and 8 threads.

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Its a 8 core, but with shared floating point units.

There are still 8 Cores with there own integer units, L1 cache, and other parts.

The kernel in Linux and windows 7(with updates) and newer changed the scheduler so that they will use one core on each module first, then use the second core on the modules after the first ones are all used, just like how its scheduled with SMT. 

They applied this update a bit after the launch of the 8150 with a good performance jump(around 5%) in some programs. If you ran the orginal version of windows 7 or XP, it would should 8 cores and 8 threads.

Thanks for clarifying!