CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor CPU

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9

Motherboard: Asus Z170-Pro Atx LGA1151

Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" SSD

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card

PSU: Corsair CX450M

I am interested in overclocking my CPU and upgrading however I don't know how much more my power supply can handle.

I keep seeing builds online with i7s but they are using at least 800W PSUs, I calculated my PSU using multiple power supply calculators and so I picked this one. All is working fine so far, no problems.

However I want to overclock my CPU, probably to around 4.5GHz, would my PSU handle it? Again I calculated the power supply usage online with the overclocking specs and apparently my PSU can still handle it.

Furthermore, I want to make upgrades to my build including getting the

NZXT Kraken X62

and a GTX 1080.

The calculator still says my PSU can handle it however I am still very skeptical just because a ton of other people with similar builds to mine are using much higher wattage PSUs.

Also, 

say I wanted to get a PSU around 800W for my current build and no upgrades, would this be bad for my computer?

P.S.

I know that my CPU cooler probably won't handle overclocking that well so I want to get a new cooler before overclocking.

450 watts is enough honestly, even with a 1080 in there.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

450 watts is enough honestly, even with a 1080 in there.

I believe you, I'm just so confused why other people are using PSU's with a much higher wattage than mine with similair builds.

1 minute ago, Ahridesus said:

I believe you, I'm just so confused why other people are using PSU's with a much higher wattage than mine with similair builds.

Cause if you have the money why not get more. Thats why people get more.

Probably got a good deal on them :P When i bought mine for example (cx750m), it was only £20 more than the 550 watt variant.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

Probably got a good deal on them :P When i bought mine for example (cx750m), it was only £20 more than the 550 watt variant.

But is that not super bad for your PC? 

because the idea isn't to max out the PSU, or even get close. there are also thermal issues to consider. Do you want ANOTHER FAN running @100%? or would you prefer a quieter experience with a PSU that offers a silent mode when you're at full power?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 minutes ago, Ahridesus said:

Nope, you could stick a 1200 watt supply in a pc that only needs 200 at max load, wouldn't cause any damage, it'd just be majorly overkill and unneeded.

The wattage is just how much it can output to the computer at its max, not how much its constantly feeding to the pc.

No. Moar wattage is never bad It's like living a big house vs living in a small house. You just don't know what to fill the rest of it.

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

No. Moar wattage is never bad It's like living a big house vs living in a small house. You just don't know what to fill the rest of it.

2 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Nope, you could stick a 1200 watt supply in a pc that only needs 200 at max load, wouldn't cause any damage, it'd just be majorly overkill and unneeded.

The wattage is just how much it can output to the computer at its max, not how much its constantly feeding to the pc.

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

because the idea isn't to max out the PSU, or even get close. there are also thermal issues to consider. Do you want ANOTHER FAN running @100%? or would you prefer a quieter experience with a PSU that offers a silent mode when you're at full power?

Thanks, that clears up a lot of confusion!

3 minutes ago, Ahridesus said:

it is not bad for the same reason your hair dryer doesn't burst into flames when you plug it into a 412 MegaWatt power grid.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

it is not bad for the same reason your hair dryer doesn't burst into flames when you plug it into a 412 MegaWatt power grid.

Oh ok thanks. never tried that, but now I know that I can. :P

Oh ok thanks. never tried that, but now I know that I can. :P

pretty sure you have. every time you plug something into the wall you are connecting to an enormously powerful grid.

System specs:

2 hours ago, Ahridesus said:

Build:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor CPU

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9

Motherboard: Asus Z170-Pro Atx LGA1151

Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" SSD

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card

PSU: Corsair CX450M

I am interested in overclocking my CPU and upgrading however I don't know how much more my power supply can handle.

I keep seeing builds online with i7s but they are using at least 800W PSUs, I calculated my PSU using multiple power supply calculators and so I picked this one. All is working fine so far, no problems.

However I want to overclock my CPU, probably to around 4.5GHz, would my PSU handle it? Again I calculated the power supply usage online with the overclocking specs and apparently my PSU can still handle it.

Furthermore, I want to make upgrades to my build including getting the

NZXT Kraken X62

and a GTX 1080.

The calculator still says my PSU can handle it however I am still very skeptical just because a ton of other people with similar builds to mine are using much higher wattage PSUs.

Also, 

say I wanted to get a PSU around 800W for my current build and no upgrades, would this be bad for my computer?

P.S.

I know that my CPU cooler probably won't handle overclocking that well so I want to get a new cooler before overclocking.

You're good with your current PSU.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||