Is It Possibe To Use Friends Wifi From My House To Download?

WolfLoverPro

I dont know if this is possible but i would to ask. so my wifi has like 1mbps and i gotta download a 40gb game and that takes so long i cant even stand waiting for it but my friends wifi gets like 9mbps which to me is fast as ive never used a ifi faster than mine so is it possible say if i left my laptop at my friends on and somehow setup a thing to use his wifi at my house on desktop idk if thats possible or not but is there a way to like setup a connection or something like that or download games from my laptop and then it actually downloads them onto my desktop i was thinking like a remote pc but that dont use like a different wifi it would use the one at home but wouldn't a remote desktop be able to somehow make it use the wifi my laptop is on idk ??

4 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

I dont know if this is possible but i would to ask. so my wifi has like 1mbps and i gotta download a 40gb game and that takes so long i cant even stand waiting for it but my friends wifi gets like 9mbps which to me is fast as ive never used a ifi faster than mine so is it possible say if i left my laptop at my friends on and somehow setup a thing to use his wifi at my house on desktop idk if thats possible or not but is there a way to like setup a connection or something like that or download games from my laptop and then it actually downloads them onto my desktop i was thinking like a remote pc but that dont use like a different wifi it would use the one at home but wouldn't a remote desktop be able to somehow make it use the wifi my laptop is on idk ??

Well the proper thing to do is fix your connection... but why couldn't you use someone else internet?  (Assuming you ask first).

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

If you're next-door neighbors, it may work, but won't be particularly fast. You could stretch an ethernet cable between the two houses, but that's only if you're next-door to each other. Just leave a laptop at his house to download the file and then get it back. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Maybe you could clone your desktops hard drive over to a new partition on your laptop, take your laptop to your friends house, download the game onto your cloned partition, and then go home and clone it to your desktop. That might work.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Better to address the long term problem and just bump up your internet speeds by either upping your bill or offering to split it with who ever currently is paying so you all get get better speeds.

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Maybe you could clone your desktops hard drive over to a new partition on your laptop, take your laptop to your friends house, download the game onto your cloned partition, and then go home and clone it to your desktop. That might work.

yeah but the thing is that its on steam and on steam it makes me downlaod it in the enine so its annoying as i wish steam would like link it to all pcs even if it makes it double the size for me i wouldnt care

1 minute ago, Acolyte_of_PC said:

Better to address the long term problem and just bump up your internet speeds by either upping your bill or offering to split it with who ever currently is paying so you all get get better speeds.

the best internet  we have is sky no joke thats all we have as the fastest the rest are so slow we live in a village and theres no internet apart from crappy one but sky is only one what really is the fastest out of all

2 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

yeah but the thing is that its on steam and on steam it makes me downlaod it in the enine so its annoying as i wish steam would like link it to all pcs even if it makes it double the size for me i wouldnt care

I'm not sure what you mean by "enine."

I think that would work though. It would just take a while to clone the stuff but it should work nonetheless.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Well, you could use 25km wifi linus showed in  a holy$h!t video. Although you could get a faster internet connection for its price

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "enine."

I think that would work though. It would just take a while to clone the stuff but it should work nonetheless.

oh sorry i mean steam engine what you use to download games on steam ;p but yeah you can only download them on there theres no like way to clone otherwize it wouldnt be steam

Just now, wrathoftheturkey said:

Why clone an entire partition when you can just move the game's folder?

Can you? Sometimes there seem to be folders all over the place in my experience. I'm not too familiar with software downloading so idk :/.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, WolfLoverPro said:

oh sorry i mean steam engine what you use to download games on steam ;p but yeah you can only download them on there theres no like way to clone otherwize it wouldnt be steam

If you clone your whole hard drive though it should work. No reason why it wouldn't.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, WolfLoverPro said:

the best internet  we have is sky no joke thats all we have as the fastest the rest are so slow we live in a village and theres no internet apart from crappy one but sky is only one what really is the fastest out of all

ah man, well moving game folders by USB is not to hard. Just direct the download to your desktop so you know where it is, then load it on USB then offload it to desired location. 

1 hour ago, JCBiggs said:

lets not forget that optical media is also still a thing...

Ah, yeah, but does anyone have any discs that can hold 40GB worth of files, even if it is compressed? Although thinking of it now, you could split it up. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, JCBiggs said:

um... blue rays hold 50 gigs. in single layer form...

but what i actually meant, was to go by the damn blu ray instead of downloading it. 

Oh, didn't know about the limits of Blu-Ray. I don't use them. And yes, you could go and buy the game. 

Download the game to another system at his house and copy the game folder (located under the steamapps folder unless altered) to the system you want the game on.

I backup my steamapps folder and when I do a fresh OS install I simply copy the steamapps folder after installing steam, no need to download everything except updates/cloud data.

3 hours ago, DocSwag said:

What about cloning?

If it is Windows, it probably wouldn't work, because Windows would detect that it is a different device.

But you don't need to clone anything.

Just download "Steam" on your laptop, go to your friend's house and download it, then copy it to your main PC. I don't see how this wouldn't work, but I am not familiar with this "Steam" software or downloading client thing that you have.

3 hours ago, Emmien said:

What about cloning?

If it is Windows, it probably wouldn't work, because Windows would detect that it is a different device.

Just download "Steam" on your laptop, go to your friend's house and download it, then copy it to your main PC. I don't see how this wouldn't work, but I am not familiar with this "Steam" software or downloading client thing that you have.

Oh wait lol forgot about motherboard differences :/.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Go to your friends house, download on your laptop, then bring your laptop back to your house and transfer the Steam files from Steam/SteamApps, transfer the .acf file and the game files in the "common" folder.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

16 hours ago, Emmien said:

What about cloning?

Steam? Steam is a game client that is very popular among gamers, for obvious reasons. Linus mentions it constantly.