So when does one become an "audiophile" ?

ManOfDisguise

I'm not an audiophile but maybe in the future I would be interesting in getting to know what exactly makes a good audio device(mainly headphones). Now my guess is that you develop an ear for good audio devices in a similar way as the whole "30fps vs 60fsp framerate thing." It's just something you have to experience. I think one needs to try a lot of different sound devices and just compare them but of course there are a lot of audio technical terms just like there are for example in video devices(resolution, framerate, colors, response time).

Now to narrow it down, my interest is mainly gaming so I would want to know what makes good headphones for gaming(not headset as I heard they are overrated for sound quality and arent that good and i dont really need the mic anyway).

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

I think the definition of audiophile depends on how much money you have spent on headphones and signal cables in a pure stereo system. There is also a factor that depends on how many LPs you have in your collection

Audiophile is a stupid word and I don't like it. To be an audiophile though is to try to obtain your version of the perfect sound signature.

As for your questions, gaming is no different from any other form of audio, a good headphone that's good for music will be good for "gaming".

I'm no audiophile but you need one with good surround sound and balanced sound (i.e. NOT BEATS)

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

I'm no audiophile but you need one with good surround sound and balanced sound (i.e. NOT BEATS)

I dont think that you need to be an audiophile to know that Beats are overrated :P

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

I don't believe it is tied down to a level of snobbery amount of money invested in equipment the quantity of files you own or anything like that. 

I believe it is born in the realization that there is a difference in generic and higher end audio devices. and when one strives to maximize their listening experience 

An audiophile is someone who listens to the equipment, not the music.

Don't forget spending an assload of money on the equipment itself. One good example is very expensive cables.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

I dont think that you need to be an audiophile to know that Beats are overrated :P

kool kids at my school

e65276edb054891d296447b8f78f71d41a51db45

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

You are an audiophile when you listen to Beats By Dr.Dre Studios or Pros...

No, I'm just kidding, please don't kill me :D

you can read about people's interpretation of color, depth, soundstage, etc but unless you listen to a few headphones yourself, you will never know what kind of sound you prefer.

i went to a high end audio place and listened to a wall of headphones they had... i loved the sound of Sennheiser open design headphones so i bought 'em. you might prefer Grados or something else.

Just make sure you buy a reasonably priced amp to power your headphones. Other than that, you should be good to go.

I personally avoid peripherals marketed towards "gaming" specifically.

I'm not an audiophile but maybe in the future I would be interesting in getting to know what exactly makes a good audio device(mainly headphones). Now my guess is that you develop an ear for good audio devices in a similar way as the whole "30fps vs 60fsp framerate thing." It's just something you have to experience. I think one needs to try a lot of different sound devices and just compare them but of course there are a lot of audio technical terms just like there are for example in video devices(resolution, framerate, colors, response time).

Now to narrow it down, my interest is mainly gaming so I would want to know what makes good headphones for gaming(not headset as I heard they are overrated for sound quality and arent that good and i dont really need the mic anyway).

you can read about people's interpretation of color, depth, soundstage, etc but unless you listen to a few headphones yourself, you will never know what kind of sound you prefer.

i went to a high end audio place and listened to a wall of headphones they had... i loved the sound of Sennheiser open design headphones so i bought 'em. you might prefer Grados or something else.

Just make sure you buy a reasonably priced amp to power your headphones. Other than that, you should be good to go.

I personally avoid peripherals marketed towards "gaming" specifically.

so its really all preference?

Specs of my PC:

so its really all preference?

Yes.

My opinion is that the amp/DAC need to be 100% neutral, and deliver a clean signal to the headphone, and that you should listen to the headphones, and not anything else.

That being said, I like more of a "V" shaped sound signature, other's don't. It's all subjective.

kool kids at my school

e65276edb054891d296447b8f78f71d41a51db45

And soon to be this forum with trolls/kids who don't do any research.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

There are those that forget that "audiophile" means a lover of music, you can be an audiophile while listening to Earpods and an iPhone, as long as you love the music. A TECHNOPHILE! is a person that cares about the hardware, while they can be an audiophile too, most "audiophiles" are not audiophiles, but technophiles. 
I personally love music, and do make an effort to reproduce the music as best as I can afford. But if that were truly the case I would have a Acer Aspire One, and four grand worth of audio equipment. Instead of $600 worth of audio equipment, and a "nice" computer.

You are the person that gets to decide if you love music, or hardware, to just owning stuff, and no one else.

Yes.

My opinion is that the amp/DAC need to be 100% neutral, and deliver a clean signal to the headphone, and that you should listen to the headphones, and not anything else.

That being said, I like more of a "V" shaped sound signature, other's don't. It's all subjective.

I also personally enjoy the "V" shaped sound, found this out when I was playing around with the eq on poweramp. I listen mostly to electronic which seems to fit that very well

I also personally enjoy the "V" shaped sound, found this out when I was playing around with the eq on poweramp. I listen mostly to electronic which seems to fit that very well

I feel like the only guy that likes mids sometimes. 

You are an audiophile when you listen to Beats By Dr.Dre Studios or Pros...

No, I'm just kidding, please don't kill me :D

Overpaying for headphones because they "sound like it's supposed to"? Sounds pretty "audiophile" to me.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

This thread is dum

Is there a way to define a dynamic?

Usually when I hear the word audiophile I think of someone with close up view of their lower colon whilst explaining the musicality of an amp.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

when you have enough expensive audio related equipment to talk down to someone who doesn't. No such thing as an audiophile till you see some kind of degree or certification for it. Till then you like what you like and no one can tell you different. 

Audiophile, I always thought they are good for sniffing and determine how good a headphone bass, treble, etc etc is. :P

I believe an audiophile is, as the name suggests, loves great audio. I think the idea that you have to spend tons of money to be considered an audiophile is wrong. Just because you spend more on audio does not make you an audiophile, and vice versa.

Here's an analogy:

Who do you consider a hardware enthusiast, the guy who goes out and blows $10000 on alienware thinking it is the best, or the guy who has spend $800 on his computer but has also spent many hours modding it and making it special?

As such, I think when you're truly spending time, effort and possibly money to tweak your sound system and make it suit your tastes, that is when you are an audiophile.

Desktop: Core i5-2500K, ASUS GTX 560, MSI Z68A GD65, CM HAF 912 Advanced, OCZ Vertex 4, WD 1TB Black, Seasonic P660, Samsung S27A850D, Audioengine A2, Noctua NH-D14, NB eLoops

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Razer Deathadder 3.5G, Razer Deathadder 2013, Razer Goliathus Control, Razer Manticor