5960x 4.4 vs 4790k (hyper-threads vs cores)

I have had this thought in mind for a long time now and so it's time to ask what you guys think.

TLDR, would 8 true cores beat 4 true cores and 4 hyperthreads .

So as we know that games are becoming more and more multithreaded, which higher core processors will see boost in performance over counterparts. My thought was that would a 5960x/6900k with hyperthreading disabled and 8 true cores outperform a 4790k/6700k in games that use 8 threads. As an i5 with 4 true cores beats an i3 which has 2 cores and 2 hyper-threads, would the same apply to the i7's. From what I have heard, hyper-threads are about 40% of the efficiency of a true core which means that theoretically 8 true cores will outperform 4790k/6700k at same clocks, which means that x99 IS useful in gaming. Don't games read threads like: core0, hyper-thread 1, core 1 hyper-thread 2 and so on, which means that with hyperthreading enabled would perform like 4790k/6700k at same clocks. But I might be wrong here, which is why I'm wondering what you guys think.

As of now, no. Something like a 6700k beats a 6950x in gaming. Will that change,most likely as you said because more and more titles are becoming more multithread-favoring. 

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

7 minutes ago, djent3 said:

I have had this thought in mind for a long time now and so it's time to ask what you guys think.

TLDR, would 8 true cores beat 4 true cores and 4 hyperthreads .

So as we know that games are becoming more and more multithreaded, which higher core processors will see boost in performance over counterparts. My thought was that would a 5960x/6900k with hyperthreading disabled and 8 true cores outperform a 4790k/6700k in games that use 8 threads. As an i5 with 4 true cores beats an i3 which has 2 cores and 2 hyper-threads, would the same apply to the i7's. From what I have heard, hyper-threads are about 40% of the efficiency of a true core which means that theoretically 8 true cores will outperform 4790k/6700k at same clocks, which means that x99 IS useful in gaming. Don't games read threads like: core0, hyper-thread 1, core 1 hyper-thread 2 and so on, which means that with hyperthreading enabled would perform like 4790k/6700k at same clocks. But I might be wrong here, which is why I'm wondering what you guys think.

5 minutes ago, Festive said:

As of now, no. Something like a 6700k beats a 6950x in gaming. Will that change,most likely as you said because more and more titles are becoming more multithread-favoring. 

At the same clocks with the same uarch, an 6 or even 8 core cpu is always going to beat or tie the 4 core, and with dual gpu sometimes the differences are GIGANTIC.

So GIGANTIC in fact that I would never ever recommend dual gpu on anything less than an overclocked hex-core (modern uarch ofc, not shit-ass 6300 or something).

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS