switching cases

BurntNewt

I'm switching to the NZXT S340 is there a certain way to remove the components from the old case and put them into the new case

1 minute ago, BurntNewt said:

I'm switching to the NZXT S340 is there a certain way to remove the components from the old case and put them into the new case

yes. you unplug everything, unscrew everything, and then move it to the new case and screw everything in and plug everything in.

What are you moving from? If it's a prebuilt from a manufacturer like HP/Dell/etc then you might have issues as some of them have proprietary mounting for some of the hardware. 

1 minute ago, Zyndo said:

yes. you unplug everything, unscrew everything, and then move it to the new case and screw everything in and plug everything in.

ok I only have to unplug and un-screw

1 minute ago, kerradeph said:

What are you moving from? If it's a prebuilt from a manufacturer like HP/Dell/etc then you might have issues as some of them have proprietary mounting for some of the hardware. 

im moving from my custom pc in a deep cool tesseract 

not really. disconnect everything from the motherboard, and then take it out. if you have air-cooling I would recommend leaving the heatsink on. then, put the motherboard into the new case.

do the same for everything else. it's really not hard. what you need to watch for is to make sure that when you are removing a component, everything is disconnected.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

not really. disconnect everything from the motherboard, and then take it out. if you have air-cooling I would recommend leaving the heatsink on. then, put the motherboard into the new case.

do the same for everything else. it's really not hard. what you need to watch for is to make sure that when you are removing a component, everything is disconnected.

ok so i heard in the s340 elite you have to install the hard drive first so is it safe before putting the psu in 

Yeah, then you should be fine. Considering you're asking this I'm guessing it was not built by you. Look up guides on building PCs, they'll have tips on how everything fits together and what order to install it in. 

To avoid shocks from wrecking your stuff, turn the switch on the PSU to off but leave the power plugged in. Then hit the power button a few times. This will leave the ground connected to the PC as well as drain the capacitors. 

As others have said, if you have air cooling you can leave that on the motherboard, that will mean you don't have to replace the thermal paste. The memory doesn't need to be taken off when you're moving it around. Basically unplug the case fans, unplug the power connectors (There should be a bit one near the front of the motherboard and a little 4, 6, or 8pin one up near the top of the motherboard), and unplug the power from the video card if there are any. Then take the video card out (There's a little lever on the port on the motherboard that you'll have to manipulate to release it). Aside from the power connectors which can be a little stiff, all of these things shouldn't need much force to disconnect. The power connectors will come off if you wobble them back and forth a bit while holding the clip. There are also a few wires that lead to the front, these are the front panel connectors for the power/hard drive lights as well as the power and reset switches. Look up the manual for your motherboard online and it will tell you where these need to go when you install the motherboard in the new case. You will also need to disconnect the hard drive and optical drive data cables. They should either just pop out or they will have a small clip, these should come out without much force. 

Once you've got the power, fans, and video card plus any other expansion cards removed from your motherboard, there will be probably 9 screws around the motherboard that you need to take out. keep the case flat while doing this as once they're out there's nothing holding the motherboard in place and if it slides around on the standoffs you will probably damage the motherboard. 

Take out the power supply, fans, hard drives, and optical drives and install those in the new case. I would suggest leaving the power supply out until you finish installing the motherboard. 

There will be little things about 2-3CM/.5-1inch long with threads on one side and a hole on the other side that came with the case. These are the standoffs, they keep the motherboard lifted off the metal backplate. Install these by hand, hopefully your case came with a tool to install them as this will properly tighten them down. If there are a lot of holes, look for ones marked with an A or ATX or just match the locations with the locations on your current case. When they're in you can check by carefully lowering in the motherboard and see if all the holes line up, if they don't take the motherboard out and adjust. 

If you left the cooler and memory on the motherboard, then once you have the motherboard screwed to the standoffs in the new case, it should be a matter of reconnecting the fans, data cables, and the power. Before you put in the videocard, get the front panel connectors connected as it's nice to have the light and space to work with the tiny connectors on them. If your computer doesn't do anything when you hit the power button the first thing you should check are these connectors. Once the front panel is connected, put in the video card and any other expansion cards and plug in power to the video card. 

At this point you shouldn't have any spare parts left over. If you have spare fans, and there are no extra spots in the new case don't worry. 

If you are really concerned, take a picture of the motherboard in the old case so you can compare all the connections and parts when you are done installing it in the new case. 

Hopefully I didn't forget any significant steps. 

Enjoy your new case. 

A key rule to building computers is if it's not going in, don't force it. The only thing that requires much force is the power connectors and even those you should be able to feel moving.

4 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

Yeah, then you should be fine. Considering you're asking this I'm guessing it was not built by you. Look up guides on building PCs, they'll have tips on how everything fits together and what order to install it in. 

To avoid shocks from wrecking your stuff, turn the switch on the PSU to off but leave the power plugged in. Then hit the power button a few times. This will leave the ground connected to the PC as well as drain the capacitors. 

As others have said, if you have air cooling you can leave that on the motherboard, that will mean you don't have to replace the thermal paste. The memory doesn't need to be taken off when you're moving it around. Basically unplug the case fans, unplug the power connectors (There should be a bit one near the front of the motherboard and a little 4, 6, or 8pin one up near the top of the motherboard), and unplug the power from the video card if there are any. Then take the video card out (There's a little lever on the port on the motherboard that you'll have to manipulate to release it). Aside from the power connectors which can be a little stiff, all of these things shouldn't need much force to disconnect. The power connectors will come off if you wobble them back and forth a bit while holding the clip. There are also a few wires that lead to the front, these are the front panel connectors for the power/hard drive lights as well as the power and reset switches. Look up the manual for your motherboard online and it will tell you where these need to go when you install the motherboard in the new case. You will also need to disconnect the hard drive and optical drive data cables. They should either just pop out or they will have a small clip, these should come out without much force. 

Once you've got the power, fans, and video card plus any other expansion cards removed from your motherboard, there will be probably 9 screws around the motherboard that you need to take out. keep the case flat while doing this as once they're out there's nothing holding the motherboard in place and if it slides around on the standoffs you will probably damage the motherboard. 

Take out the power supply, fans, hard drives, and optical drives and install those in the new case. I would suggest leaving the power supply out until you finish installing the motherboard. 

There will be little things about 2-3CM/.5-1inch long with threads on one side and a hole on the other side that came with the case. These are the standoffs, they keep the motherboard lifted off the metal backplate. Install these by hand, hopefully your case came with a tool to install them as this will properly tighten them down. If there are a lot of holes, look for ones marked with an A or ATX or just match the locations with the locations on your current case. When they're in you can check by carefully lowering in the motherboard and see if all the holes line up, if they don't take the motherboard out and adjust. 

If you left the cooler and memory on the motherboard, then once you have the motherboard screwed to the standoffs in the new case, it should be a matter of reconnecting the fans, data cables, and the power. Before you put in the videocard, get the front panel connectors connected as it's nice to have the light and space to work with the tiny connectors on them. If your computer doesn't do anything when you hit the power button the first thing you should check are these connectors. Once the front panel is connected, put in the video card and any other expansion cards and plug in power to the video card. 

At this point you shouldn't have any spare parts left over. If you have spare fans, and there are no extra spots in the new case don't worry. 

If you are really concerned, take a picture of the motherboard in the old case so you can compare all the connections and parts when you are done installing it in the new case. 

Hopefully I didn't forget any significant steps. 

Enjoy your new case. 

A key rule to building computers is if it's not going in, don't force it. The only thing that requires much force is the power connectors and even those you should be able to feel moving.

it was built by me but i'm just wondering because i saw some things saying you need to do something special 

3 minutes ago, BurntNewt said:

it was built by me but i'm just wondering because i saw some things saying you need to do something special 

Oh, sorry about that. I'll take a look to confirm what you were asking about. 

So sounds like part of that writeup was wrong off the bat. Looks like the standoffs are already there and there's an alignment post.

So it looks like it's just because the PSU blocks off access to the screw holes on the HDD cage. Not too much to it, just install the hard drives first and you're fine. but worst case, it looks like there's a little shelf that it sits on so you only *need* one screw just to hold it in place, but getting screws on either side is good. I would not recomend expecting to be able to use all 3 3.5" mounting points as the bottom one will be a complete pain to wire in. 

3 minutes ago, kerradeph said:

So sounds like part of that writeup was wrong off the bat. Looks like the standoffs are already there and there's an alignment post.

So it looks like it's just because the PSU blocks off access to the screw holes on the HDD cage. Not too much to it, just install the hard drives first and you're fine. but worst case, it looks like there's a little shelf that it sits on so you only *need* one screw just to hold it in place, but getting screws on either side is good. I would not recomend expecting to be able to use all 3 3.5" mounting points as the bottom one will be a complete pain to wire in. 

ok thank you also is there an easy way to remove the io shield 

Once the motherboard it out, just tap it with your fingers on the edge and it will pop out.