Bad time to build a budget AMD gaming PC?

Long time lurker, first time poster here-

I've finally decided to take the leap from Console to PC, and although I don't have a massive budget (+/-$700 usd) I've been looking on Newegg and it seems like my best bet is to go for an AMD FX-6300 paired with an XFX RX470 on a Gigabyte GA-970-Gaming SLI board. I don't have any intention of going the SLI route but the board was a decent price and it was the only board I found that had an m.2 slot. 

Anyhow my my question still stands. Is this a bad time to build a budget AMD build? I believe with their new Zen architecture I will have to get a new mono to upgrade if/when that CPU comes out. I'm not opposed to Intel, but with pricing an entire build sub $700 it seems like AMD is my only real option. I'm probably not going to be running anything like Crysis 3. But I enjoy playing Rocket League and The Binding of Isaac.  I know the latter isn't really graphically intensive, but I also know I want to actually get into PC gaming for the long run, so I should kind of future proof.

Am I missing something? Is it not really feasible to discuss good performance and budget in the same system? Or should I wait for whenever Zen launches? I'm definitely open to suggestions.

thank you for your time,

itsnotwebby

With the new platform launching soon, it is a bad idea. You could end up with an AMD equivalent of the G4400 so I'd say just wait.

7 minutes ago, Itsnotwebby said:

Is this a bad time to build a budget AMD build?

Terrible. A few possible scenarios as to why:

1. RyZen launches and is a worldbeater. It comes to within 10% of Intel, but does so at a 25-30% discount over their equivalent CPUs. Suddenly, we have a price war on our hands, which drives down the price of used items as well. The FX-6300 build you put together for $700 went from being worth $700 to worth $350 almost overnight, and you're left looking at the benchmarks of the equivalent RyZen CPU and wondering what could have been.

2. RyZen sucks. Sales tank. In order to get units moved out the door, AMD gets aggressive with pricing. Suddenly, you've vastly overpaid for your old-tech PC, and it again loses almost all resale value.

3. RyZen is moderately successful. It holds up to its benchmarks, but isn't kicking Intel's door in. Because AMD has put a lower price point on RyZen than Intel has Kaby Lake, RyZen starts to see as wide of acceptance as a moderately successful AMD platform realistically will, and it becomes an indie darling for budget builders everywhere. Intel might tweak its pricing on the low end to compete. Whether they do or not, your PC is again worth crap.

tl;dr, wait for RyZen or buy an i5.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

At $700 a locked i5 should easily fit into your budget. But id wait to see if AMD gives official launch dates and more info on Zen at CES.

For your information also, my i3 whips my friends FX-6300 in every benchmark we did, including CPU intensive ones.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

13 minutes ago, Itsnotwebby said:

Long time lurker, first time poster here-

I've finally decided to take the leap from Console to PC, and although I don't have a massive budget (+/-$700 usd) I've been looking on Newegg and it seems like my best bet is to go for an AMD FX-6300 paired with an XFX RX470 on a Gigabyte GA-970-Gaming SLI board. I don't have any intention of going the SLI route but the board was a decent price and it was the only board I found that had an m.2 slot. 

Anyhow my my question still stands. Is this a bad time to build a budget AMD build? I believe with their new Zen architecture I will have to get a new mono to upgrade if/when that CPU comes out. I'm not opposed to Intel, but with pricing an entire build sub $700 it seems like AMD is my only real option. I'm probably not going to be running anything like Crysis 3. But I enjoy playing Rocket League and The Binding of Isaac.  I know the latter isn't really graphically intensive, but I also know I want to actually get into PC gaming for the long run, so I should kind of future proof.

Am I missing something? Is it not really feasible to discuss good performance and budget in the same system? Or should I wait for whenever Zen launches? I'm definitely open to suggestions.

thank you for your time,

itsnotwebby

So if you're going to spend that kind of money, don't get a 5 year old platform.  Either get a A88X platform, or a H170 platform.  If you're willing to wait 60 days, then you can get on the Ryzen and Kaby Lake train.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

20 minutes ago, Itsnotwebby said:

You missed the boat for an AMD PC, about a month or 2 ago they gave you 3 free games with a buid

Just grab an i3 6100 + RX 470 and you should be set, maybe throw the left over money towards a free-sync display

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Even a year ago, going for an FX CPU was a poor decision. With Ryzen around the corner, it would be asinine. If you must buy a system now, get a Skylake i3.