Good amp for bookshelf 6 ohm speakers

BGA

I'm new to speaker amplifiers and have been reading up on them. Basically, I need an amp that preferably can deliver about 30 wattsx2 at 6 ohms, has treble&bass controls, and has a nice sound quality. Budget tops out at about 50 dollars if it's really worth it.

If there's any other things you think are important for such an amp, feel free to mention them and look for an amp with that too. Any recommendations? Thanks!

1 minute ago, SSL said:

What is the model of speaker, please?

Speaker is an aiwa SX-NBL25 (these)

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thanks for the suggestion. However, the problem with those is that they only supply 20x2 watts. According to my calculations, I think I need about 32 for good measure.

1 minute ago, BGA said:

Thanks for the suggestion. However, the problem with those is that they only supply 20x2 watts. According to my calculations, I think I need about 32 for good measure.

You don't need 32 watts, extra watts will only make it louder(and about 2db for that)

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You don't need 32 watts, extra watts will only make it louder(and about 2db for that)

Oh really? Good to know. Do you think that's the best one, or just one of the many ok ones?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

30 watts RMS and that Lepai amp delivers less than that realistically. More is needed for peak output.

I would go for the SMSL SA36 at minimum (true 20W amp), or the SA50 to be safe.

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

30 watts RMS and that Lepai amp delivers less than that realistically. More is needed for peak output.

I would go for the SMSL SA36 at minimum (true 20W amp), or the SA50 to be safe.

Thanks for that, but unfortunately, those don't have tone adjustments, which is something I really want. Any advice how to tell the difference between an amp that actually delivers 20 watts, and one that delivers less than realistically? 

Just now, BGA said:

Thanks for that, but unfortunately, those don't have tone adjustments, which is something I really want. Any advice how to tell the difference between an amp that actually delivers 20 watts, and one that delivers less than realistically? 

No, because obviously this isn't the kind of thing people advertise.

Tone controls will further reduce headroom, btw. The Lepai doesn't even get 20W flat, and it'll probably be even worse with tone control engaged.

If you really can't live without tone controls, you might want to look for an old stereo receiver, although $50 might be a stretch for something decent.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Tone controls will further reduce headroom, btw. The Lepai doesn't even get 20W flat, and it'll probably be even worse with tone control engaged.

If you really can't live without tone controls, you might want to look for an old stereo receiver, although $50 might be a stretch for something decent.

I'd be fine with over $50 if it's something that's actually worth it

3 minutes ago, BGA said:

SMSL Q5 Pro has tone controls and a lot of power, but it's nearly 3x your budget. You're probably better off with software EQ.

9 minutes ago, BGA said:

SMSL SA-160?

Used ones are like 75-90$ i think

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

1 minute ago, Lays said:

SMSL SA-160?

Used ones are like 75-90$ i think

no tone controls :(

1 minute ago, BGA said:

no tone controls :(

EQ in windows tho..

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Just now, Lays said:

EQ in windows tho..

Plugging ipods and the like into it though

1 minute ago, BGA said:

I don't know enough about them. Looks like reliability might be a concern with the second one. I would just get the Lepai vs the first one, since it's going to have the same limitations and the Lepai is better known.

12 hours ago, SSL said:

not really. My onkyo receiver was $30, denon was 30, and vintage onkyo was 50.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."