Download digital copies of physical media

Hey guys,

For Christmas I got giving a Blu-ray of The Martian and love the film. When I am at home playing the Blu-ray isn't a problem at all as I have an Xbox One S which I can watch it on, however I have a Surface Pro 4 and obviously that doesn't have a Blu-ray player, let alone a DVD player. This means that when I am away from home there isn't a way of watching it or any other film I own a physical copy of. Is there a legitimate way for me to download a copy of the film online? I know I can make a digital copy of the film using a piece of software like Handbrake but I don't have a Blu-ray player in my desktop for me to be able to do that. I know it's legal for where I live to have a digital copy of the film but it's not legal for me to download a copy of the film, or is it? And if so, where is the best place to get a copy online from? I don't want to buy another copy of the films I already own just to have a digital copy of them.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

The laws are weird. I think you could probably download it dubiously and have that be okay since you own a physical copy.

However, I wouldn't advise that.

I'm not sure there's really anything that would allow you to do what you're after unless the disc specifically comes with a method for you to download the content.

Sig under construction.

Linus made a video about it.

Technically, you're boned.

That said, download a copy from wherever

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

4 minutes ago, Tedster said:

The laws are weird. I think you could probably download it dubiously and have that be okay since you own a physical copy.

However, I wouldn't advise that.

I'm not sure there's really anything that would allow you to do what you're after unless the disc specifically comes with a method for you to download the content.

Thanks. That's helpful and not at the same time if you know what I mean, haha.

2 minutes ago, paps511 said:

Linus made a video about it.

Technically, you're boned.

That said, download a copy from wherever

Can you remember the name of that video or have a link?

1 minute ago, MatthewBowker said:

Thanks. That's helpful and not at the same time if you know what I mean, haha.

Can you remember the name of that video or have a link?

Yeah, it's informative but not particularly helpful.

And I myself have no clue...

Sig under construction.

37 minutes ago, MatthewBowker said:

Hey guys,

For Christmas I got giving a Blu-ray of The Martian and love the film. When I am at home playing the Blu-ray isn't a problem at all as I have an Xbox One S which I can watch it on, however I have a Surface Pro 4 and obviously that doesn't have a Blu-ray player, let alone a DVD player. This means that when I am away from home there isn't a way of watching it or any other film I own a physical copy of. Is there a legitimate way for me to download a copy of the film online? I know I can make a digital copy of the film using a piece of software like Handbrake but I don't have a Blu-ray player in my desktop for me to be able to do that. I know it's legal for where I live to have a digital copy of the film but it's not legal for me to download a copy of the film, or is it? And if so, where is the best place to get a copy online from? I don't want to buy another copy of the films I already own just to have a digital copy of them.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

You could always use software that allows for you to rip the disc if you have a dvd drive. I use this.

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

If the movie came with "UltraViolet", then you are entitled to a "digital download" version of the movie. At least that's what they say it is. I think the one time I did it, it was either streamed or you got a DVD quality version of it. Otherwise, as far as I know, there's no legitimate way to download a whole movie. Might be a good time to invest in a portable Blu-Ray drive though.

2 hours ago, deansmylie1993 said:

You could always use software that allows for you to rip the disc if you have a dvd drive. I use this.

The OP specified that they didn't want to have to rip the physical media.

Sig under construction.

6 hours ago, Tedster said:

The OP specified that they didn't want to have to rip the physical media.

The OP said he didn't have a drive to be able to rip not that be didn't want to.

9 hours ago, MatthewBowker said:

I know I can make a digital copy of the film using a piece of software like Handbrake but I don't have a Blu-ray player in my desktop for me to be able to do that.

If he can get the use of a external blu-ray drive he can but other than that the OP will need to pay for a digital copy or take the illegal option of downloading it. 

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod