MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X vs Asus Strix GTX 1080 OC Edition

Omie

I have two choices: GTX 1080 Gaming X or Asus Strix 1080 OC Edition (O8G).

The problem is, I sent my Gaming X back because I wanted the Strix OC edition. But now the Strix OC is out of stock so I can either wait about 5 months for it to restock.

Or, I can get my Gaming X back but suffer from the RGB loss and performance loss (up to 20 fps drop in games) with the Gaming X?

Basically, would the Strix OC be worth the wait? And I don't plan to get the A8G model of the Strix because I don't want to deal with binning and take the risk of having it not OC to the same levels of the O8G model.

do you want to wait? or do you want to get back to the game asap?

My Rig: | CPU: Core i7-8086k @ 4.9 GHz | Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix z370 | CPU Cooler: (some coolermaster one that probably should have been retired several years ago) | Case: Corsair 570x | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro

4 minutes ago, Omie said:

I have two choices: GTX 1080 Gaming X or Asus Strix 1080 OC Edition (O8G).

The problem is, I sent my Gaming X back because I wanted the Strix OC edition. But now the Strix OC is out of stock so I can either wait about 5 months for it to restock.

Or, I can get my Gaming X back but suffer from the RGB loss and performance loss (up to 20 fps drop in games) with the Gaming X?

Basically, would the Strix OC be worth the wait? And I don't plan to get the A8G model of the Strix because I don't want to deal with binning and take the risk of having it not OC to the same levels of the O8G model.

I haven't seen 20 fps variances across GTX 1080 cards.  The Gaming X is a capable card but I just don't dig the red aesthetic.  It would really be aesthetics for me that would be the large difference.  Performance variances would be minimal.

5 minutes ago, Kill3rblack said:

do you want to wait? or do you want to get back to the game asap?

I would wait but the problem is I have my other parts with me already. I'm trying to get the card asap because I'm afraid of the parts getting deteriorated over time and risk component failure.

5 minutes ago, PCGeek said:

I haven't seen 20 fps variances across GTX 1080 cards.  The Gaming X is a capable card but I just don't dig the red aesthetic.  It would really be aesthetics for me that would be the large difference.  Performance variances would be minimal.

Here is an example with Overwatch. I plan to play this game and don't want to suffer from this issue.

This video is the Asus Strix 1080 with an i7 6700k @ 4.0Ghz: 

This video is the MSI 1080 Gaming X with an i7 6700k @ 4.3Ghz: 

20fps HOW?? 

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

20fps HOW?? 

I linked two videos above with nearly identical specs. The Gaming X struggles and drops to like 114 fps while the Strix maintains a constant 130-140 fps at all times.

Plus, in benchmarks I've seen the Strix wipes the floor with the Gaming X, it always outperforms it.

Does it really matter?

My Rig: | CPU: Core i7-8086k @ 4.9 GHz | Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix z370 | CPU Cooler: (some coolermaster one that probably should have been retired several years ago) | Case: Corsair 570x | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro

1 minute ago, Omie said:

I linked two videos above with nearly identical specs. The Gaming X struggles and drops to like 114 fps while the Strix maintains a constant 130-140 fps at all times.

Plus, in benchmarks I've seen the Strix wipes the floor with the Gaming X, it always outperforms it.

By the time it resticks maybe 1080ti gets released lol. Yeah wait if u want to

4 minutes ago, Omie said:

I would wait but the problem is I have my other parts with me already. I'm trying to get the card asap because I'm afraid of them getting deteriorated/dusty and stop working.

Here is an example with Overwatch. I plan to play this game and don't want to suffer from this issue.

This video is the Asus Strix 1080 with an i7 6700k @ 4.0Ghz: https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=fzFdiBD4vVA

This video is the MSI 1080 Gaming X with an i7 6700k @ 4.3Ghz: https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=FezySgHpXfo

I see it but I think there is something else going on there.  A 20fps variance is pretty big across the same core type.  To me it's pointing to either the details, overclock, etc.  I have seen alot of GTX 1080 reviews by multiple YouTubers and haven't seen that wide of a margin.

3 minutes ago, Omie said:

Are they using the same specs to compate btw? 

4 minutes ago, PCGeek said:

I see it but I think there is something else going on there.  A 20fps variance is pretty big across the same core type.  To me it's pointing to either the details, overclock, etc.  I have seen alot of GTX 1080 reviews by multiple YouTubers and haven't seen that wide of a margin.

Yeah, I was shocked to see that but I don't want to risk it. I also looked at videos of other games like Mafia 3/WD2 and even there the Gaming X was performing worse than the Strix by maybe about 10 fps. Not sure why. I'm thinking the Gaming X is built for quietness but not performance. When it comes to my build, I would not sacrifice performance over noise level. 

5 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Are they using the same specs to compate btw? 

Yeah, same CPU too. What's funny is that the CPU in the Gaming X build is overclocked higher than the build with the Strix and it still gets much less fps.

1 minute ago, Omie said:

Yeah, same CPU too. What's funny is that the CPU in the Gaming X build is overclocked higher than the build with the Strix and it still gets much less fps.

Asus card has higher clock speed 

1.61 vs 1.67 on a8g and 1.76 on 08g that's why. How about Evga cards? Or gigabure xtreme? Are they in stock? 

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Asus card has higher clock speed 

1.61 vs 1.67 on a8g and 1.76 on 08g that's why. How about Evga cards? Or gigabure xtreme? Are they in stock? 

EVGA cards are in stock I believe, but after the thermal pad and VRM fiasco, I'm staying as far away from them as possible. Plus it also has other issues in some units such as uneven LED color which would annoy the hell out of me.

Gigabyte Xtreme looks nice, but I hear lots of coil whine reports from Gigabyte and issues with the fans being bent, etc.

2 minutes ago, Omie said:

EVGA cards are in stock I believe, but after the thermal pad and VRM fiasco, I'm staying as far away from them as possible. Plus it also has other issues in some units such as uneven LED color which would annoy the hell out of me.

Gigabyte Xtreme looks nice, but I hear lots of coil whine reports from Gigabyte and issues with the fans being bent, etc.

The whole thermal issue has been fixed already and coil whine is a rare case but if you have the patience then go for it

you could always flash the gaming X card with a Gaming Z bios and get the extra clock speed by default

7 hours ago, Omie said:

my asus gtx 1070 strix OC  :

runs @ 2126 mhz vcore

+120 mhz on the core clock

+400 mhz on the memory clock

temps are never going higher than 61c even after 4-5 hours of gaming in bf1 !!

:) 

Card variants will run with 3-4 fps difference between them. These videos show nothing, they obviously had different graphics settings. Not even a massive overclock will grant you a 20 fps difference, that's just impossible. You guys sound like people who will immediately believe in ghosts just because a wooden plank is screeching. There's always a rational explanation.