PC 4k playback

red_jelly

G'day,

so i have got a pretty good PC specs in my signature but it cannot playback 4k to 4.6k video files in VLC. It doesnt playback smoothly. TO be fair its from the Ursa mini 4.6k ~500mb/s and 4k scans of 35mm film. 

any tips on getting it to play back smoothly?

cheers,

red xxx

Cpu: 5820K @4.0GHz   Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-SLI    Ram: Patriot Signature 16GB @ 2133   GPU: Gigabyte G1 980  Soundcard: ASUS DX  

Speakers: Logitech Z906 and Astro A40's   Keyboard: Logitech G510

18 hours ago, red_jelly said:

G'day,

so i have got a pretty good PC specs in my signature but it cannot playback 4k to 4.6k video files in VLC. It doesnt playback smoothly. TO be fair its from the Ursa mini 4.6k ~500mb/s and 4k scans of 35mm film. 

any tips on getting it to play back smoothly?

cheers,

red xxx

VLC on Windows has trouble with 4K content, use something like Media Player Classic.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

I have had a lot of trouble with VLC not playing back high bit rate files or high res ones. I would try to use another software to play it back in. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

1 hour ago, xQubeZx said:

I have had a lot of trouble with VLC not playing back high bit rate files or high res ones. I would try to use another software to play it back in. 

I recommend MPC-HC, so far it has been working fine for me when previewing high bit rate master files from my video cameras.  VLC is great for watching finish products, but not the original files straight out of the camera.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

15 hours ago, W-L said:

-Moved to Photography and Videography-

This discussion could also technically be in the Programs, Apps and Websites section since the issue is an application that is having performance issues.  It has less to do with Photography and Cinematography because it's not discussing capturing or editing something acquired by a camera.