Upgrading from AM3+ to LGA1150 advice?

itsamee
Go to solution Solved by it_dont_work,
2 minutes ago, itsamee said:

I bought the motherboard new from amazon for like £45 so it should be fully functional  (been looking for a while for a pcie 3.0 and this one popped up)

Then it really just comes down to you (though I like testing my mobo's before to 30 day return window is up so make sure I haven't a dud with a damaged dimm etc)

I'd save to extra cash and buy the better cpu to begin with and have the cash I would of spent on the i3 to spend at the pub or something.

secondhand cpus are usually a pretty safe purchase

So I am upgrading my PC atm (using an FX4100, 8GB and GTX 960 (don't hate me for this pair) atm).

I have a LGA1150 motherboard gtx 960 and 16gb RAM but looking for a compatible cpu. 4th gen i5s are going for over £200 on bids even when they are used so won't be getting one till people stop stupidly bidding lol.

But there are i3 4130s on eBay for around £60 and was wondering if this would be good till I can get a i5/i7/Xeon for a reasonable price?

Thanks

Do you know for sure the mobo works and everything on it is in good working order? If that is the case I'd probably just wait till you've got the cash for an i5 or i7 for the board. When going used it's about keeping your eyes open and looking until the right thing pops up for you to grab.

Not much point spending money on two things, just makes your 200 pound i5 60 pound more expensive. Also you can always go with not having a pc for a little while if you've a laptop and sell your amd platform. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

First off, you can't use Xeon CPUs on the Z97 platform.

Secondly, those sorts of prices are becoming pretty common as people are purchasing previous generation CPUs as the newest 6th generation offer little to no performance improvement over the previous ones.

I would wait and see if prices fall after Kaby Lake and Ryzen are released. It's potentially only a couple of months.

I say jiggly-bytes when I see "GB".

It goes down better than you would expect.

1 minute ago, it_dont_work said:

Do you know for sure the mobo works and everything on it is in good working order? If that is the case I'd probably just wait till you've got the cash for an i5 or i7 for the board. When going used it's about keeping your eyes open and looking until the right thing pops up for you to grab.

Not much point spending money on two things, just makes your 200 pound i5 60 pound more expensive. Also you can always go with not having a pc for a little while if you've a laptop and sell your amd platform. 

I bought the motherboard new from amazon for like £45 so it should be fully functional  (been looking for a while for a pcie 3.0 and this one popped up)

2 minutes ago, itsamee said:

Then it really just comes down to you (though I like testing my mobo's before to 30 day return window is up so make sure I haven't a dud with a damaged dimm etc)

I'd save to extra cash and buy the better cpu to begin with and have the cash I would of spent on the i3 to spend at the pub or something.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

3 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Ok thank you for help!

So I have been offered an e3 1231 v3 for £180. Is this a good price? Thanks

I checked asrock website and this cpu is compatible too