Should I overclock if I have a resolution greater than 1920x1080

Okay so I understand that this sounds like a very dumb question, but I was wondering if I should overclock my CPU if I play at a resolution greater than 1920x1080. On my old setup I had my CPU overclocked to 3.7ghz and it helped a ton. But on my new setup I have an i7 4790k and it is currently at stock speed (4.0ghz according to speccy). Now what I was wondering is should I overclock? Again I know this sounds like I am a major idiot but I have been hearing this rumor from a few people/YouTubers that once you go over 1920x1080 in resolution the overclock is unnecessary. I got a 3440x1440 monitor for my new setup and I personally think overclocking would be better. The more I type the more I realize how dumb this sounds. But what do you guys think? 

Assuming you play games that are not cpu intensive , its gonna be alright. 

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

I see no reason why your resolution would effect your CPU performance for gaming, you will just need a better GPU. If you have a decent cooler and compatible motherboard, you should certainly go for an overclock, it is an unlocked chip (k).

Specs:

CPU: i5-6500 3.2 GHz Mobo: ASRock H110M-HDV RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2133 MHz DDR4 GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition Storage: 120GB Sandisk Ultra II 1 TB WD HDD 7200 RPM PSU: Antec VP600P 600W Display: CrossOver 2795QHD 2560x1440 105 Hz OC OS: Windows 10 64 bit

You should overclock to find safe zones for your CPU in case you need to overclock. Even at higher resolutions, overclocks are good as long as you can perceive them.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Assuming you play games that are not cpu intensive , its gonna be alright. 

Well I play games like GTA V and BF1. They run at 60 fps, but get the occasional drop. Should I overclock? 

Just now, ARikozuM said:

You should overclock to find safe zones for your CPU in case you need to overclock. Even at higher resolutions, overclocks are good as long as you can perceive them.

Okay, I will do that.

7 minutes ago, ImKindaOk said:

Well I play games like GTA V and BF1. They run at 60 fps, but get the occasional drop. Should I overclock? 

you can. don't go past 1.3v and slowly work up also expect to need a few days to do this. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, GDRRiley said:

you can. don't go past 1.3v and slowly work up also expect to need a few days to do this. 

Up to 1.45V is fine for Haswell for an AIO/Air cooler assuming temps don't go over 85C. If the chip is delided which I doubt then he could probably go higher. 

I would not overclock.

The edge it gives you is more often than not - negligible. But you pay for that edge with the lifespan of your hardware.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

Thank you all for the replies! I think for now I am just gonna keep it stock, when I get my h100i in the mail, I might try to overclock then, because as of now I am just using a cooler master air cooler on the CPU. 

5 hours ago, FIXXX said:

I would not overclock.

The edge it gives you is more often than not - negligible. But you pay for that edge with the lifespan of your hardware.

As long as temps and voltage aren't excessive, the decrease in lifespan is irrelevant for people who don't plan to keep the same cpu running for 10-20 years.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 hours ago, ImKindaOk said:

Okay so I understand that this sounds like a very dumb question, but I was wondering if I should overclock my CPU if I play at a resolution greater than 1920x1080. On my old setup I had my CPU overclocked to 3.7ghz and it helped a ton. But on my new setup I have an i7 4790k and it is currently at stock speed (4.0ghz according to speccy). Now what I was wondering is should I overclock? Again I know this sounds like I am a major idiot but I have been hearing this rumor from a few people/YouTubers that once you go over 1920x1080 in resolution the overclock is unnecessary. I got a 3440x1440 monitor for my new setup and I personally think overclocking would be better. The more I type the more I realize how dumb this sounds. But what do you guys think? 

resolution has no impact on CPU performance. None, what so ever.

things that affect CPU performance is:

• Field of View
  • draw distance/render distance
  • physics based objects (particle explosions, smoke effects, fire effects, hairworks, tressFX, grass /tree density in areas with physics based motion rather then fixed animation loops etc...)
  • NPC density (AI)
  • multi-GPU setups
  • networking (multiplayer will add CPU load)

5 hours ago, ImKindaOk said:

BF1 will never run 100% at 60 FPS with a i7 4790k. i got my 4790k running at 4.4GHz on all 4 cores, and it still dips every now and then. What i did to combat some of the dips was to reduce the GPU load... and yes, i play at 3440x1440