2 gpu in sli every second generation vs 1 gpu every gen

kiwibacon

Hi,

I was wondering what peoples opinion are.

say like 2 cards in sli then skipping generation instead of getting 1 gpu every gen.

Ex. option 1. 980 ti sli then skipping 1080ti  and upgrading to 1180ti or

option 2 getting 980ti then upgrade to 1080ti

seems like both options cost same money in long run but the sli setup seems suprerior as 980ti sli prob will keep up 

3800X, Corsiar 32gig 3200mhz LPX, Asus Hero X570. 2080ti black edition

In my experience sli doesn't work well and it isn't supported in most indie games, and it just isn't smooth in my experience (2x 980)

What I did. Get the first card when it's hot, the second when the price falls because of the new architecture launch.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, SwiftCraftmc said:

In my experience sli doesn't work well and it isn't supported in most indie games, and it just isn't smooth in my experience (2x 980)

name a game, no such issues here

i have 2x 980ti and all the games with no sli support dont matter cos 1 card is powerful enough anyway and thats at 4k.

Never had issues. 

3800X, Corsiar 32gig 3200mhz LPX, Asus Hero X570. 2080ti black edition

1 minute ago, App4that said:

name a game, no such issues here

Gta v, (Not games) unity 4, unity 5 unreal 4, blender

GTA V? I get incredible scaling in GTA V. Did you have the same model?

1 minute ago, kiwibacon said:

he has 980s hes prob memory limited.

Maybe. I've yet to find a games that's a problem. Heck, I've yet to find a game that doesn't benefit. Did take some work though. But I enjoy that.

1 minute ago, kiwibacon said:

he has 980s hes prob memory limited.

Which is why I'm staying at 1080p with a single GTX 970-even at 1080p 4GB of vRAM is becoming a limiting factor-and that's before I go to 1440p with a second 970 for SLI (I do however know how to handle vRAM consumption-reducing AA and then reducing textures if necessary).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I did it. Prefer it. Easier to play games, still decent frame rates on AAA on max. 

Had two oe titans, wish I kept them. Got two Titan blacks. Sold my 980's after using them for about a week or two. Returned my 1080 strix and now my 1080 sc is here collecting dust 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

6 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

I did it. Prefer it. Easier to play games, still decent frame rates on AAA on max. 

Had two oe titans, wish I kept them. Got two Titan blacks. Sold my 980's after using them for about a week or two. Returned my 1080 strix and now my 1080 sc is here collecting dust 

TBH, of the 700 series, the Titan and Titan Black are the only cards worth buying now for SLI, due to the 780ti having only 3GB of vRAM.

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

TBH, of the 700 series, the Titan and Titan Black are the only cards worth buying now for SLI, due to the 780ti having only 3GB of vRAM.

Yea that's what I realized having a pair of 660ti's. Playing cod ghost destroyed those cards in surround. Buying a titan was the biggest improvement in gaming I have ever felt, aside from going from a ball mouse to optical.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

11 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Yea that's what I realized having a pair of 660ti's. Playing cod ghost destroyed those cards in surround. Buying a titan was the biggest improvement in gaming I have ever felt, aside from going from a ball mouse to optical.

For me the big improvements been going from a uadro NVS110M/Geforce 7000go (a potato by 2004 standards, but excellent for 3DS Max7) to a GTX 650ti 2GB (at 1024x768 85Hz), then less than 12 months later to a GTX 970 (at 1080p after getting a new screen).

PMSL