Fresh windows install unable to boot

colonel_mortis
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

To try it, I connected one screen to my iGPU and one to my discrete GPU (780), and set my UEFI to use the integrated graphics. I am now able to boot into Windows, and both monitors work (with no extra software installed or anything, they just work)...

I'm going to try changing some settings because the current setup isn't really sustainable (it doesn't work great in Linux - one screen gets text and the other gets a GUI), but at least it boots now.

My primary OS is currently Linux Fedora, but I have been trying to install Windows 10 to dual boot, for games etc. Having managed to actually get the installer to run (which was far harder than it should have been for other reasons), it installed correctly. However, about 30s after the install completed and the desktop appeared, the screen went black, and I had to press the reset button. Now, whenever I boot into Windows, it freezes ~3 seconds into booting, when the dots are showing.

I have tried reinstalling several times, and they have all had the same result.

The hardware should be fine, because it works fine in Linux (and used to work fine before I switched away from Windows in the summer), so I can't figure out what else could be causing it.

HTTP/2 203

How many screens do you use? Windows might switch to the "primary" screen, where "primary" is windows logic.

1 minute ago, Dutch-stoner said:

How many screens do you use? Windows might switch to the "primary" screen, where "primary" is windows logic.

I have two screens, but there is no input to either (one on display port had no input detected before and none after it crashed, and the one on VGA had input before and was a black screen (but still detected as input) after).

HTTP/2 203

I had lots of trouble getting it to work propperly on my system. Had to switch cables/ports and go into bios (AMD APU + green team crapy GPU) and make some changes there too, before I saw an booted windows screen.

But I wonder if you heard any boot sounds, like the windows tune. Might also depend on account login, sooo... Did you try save mode? If none of these pieces of advice help you out, I don't think I can. But considering how big of a fight I had, me thinks it's somewhere there. (also try output sources where there are no devices connected...)

Are you using GRUB by any chance? Or are you relying on "Select Boot Device"?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Are you using GRUB by any chance? Or are you relying on "Select Boot Device"?

Because of other issues, I have my hard drive set up with a GPT partition table, so to select the OS I use the UEFI's boot device selection. I've not added it to grub yet, though I do use grub for fedora.

HTTP/2 203

Can you try adding the Windows 10 install to the bootloader? Also, does Windows include the Boot Manager in the boot order?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

I appear to be able to boot into safe mode, but I'm at a loss as to what to do when I get there. I've tried replacing the graphics drivers, using DDU to make sure, but it hasn't made any difference, and still crashes, except it now crashes to a black screen with no peripherals powered rather than to just a frozen screen with, I think, my kb and mouse powered.

11 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Can you try adding the Windows 10 install to the bootloader? Also, does Windows include the Boot Manager in the boot order?

What do you mean add it to the bootloader? GRUB? I am able to boot using the UEFI boot manager, and since it takes a few seconds before it crashes I can't imagine that it's to do with the way the boot device is selected, surely?

HTTP/2 203

2 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

I appear to be able to boot into safe mode, but I'm at a loss as to what to do when I get there. I've tried replacing the graphics drivers, using DDU to make sure, but it hasn't made any difference, and still crashes, except it now crashes to a black screen with no peripherals powered rather than to just a frozen screen with, I think, my kb and mouse powered.

Depending on what kind of your windows version, you might want to "clone" your screens, when in safe mode. (same output to all your screens) So all act like they are primary. But considering the route you take with boot orders, not sure if it's the solution. (my suggestion that is)

35 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Does Event Viewer tell you anything that may have occurred during the non-Safe Mode boots?

35 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

What do you mean add it to the bootloader? GRUB? I am able to boot using the UEFI boot manager, and since it takes a few seconds before it crashes I can't imagine that it's to do with the way the boot device is selected, surely?

Can you add Windows 10 to GRUB and seeing if anything changes?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

10 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Can you add Windows 10 to GRUB and seeing if anything changes?

It hasn't made a difference.

10 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Does Event Viewer tell you anything that may have occurred during the non-Safe Mode boots?

There are a whole load of errors "DCOM got error 1084 attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server" (not all are ShellHWDetection - there's also WSearch, dps, EventSystem and BITS. It then logs a shutdown "The process C:\Windows\System32\RuntimeBroker.exe" has initiated a restart [...] for the following reason: Other (unplanned)". There are then no more events logged until the events for me rebooting the computer (Kernel Power and regular boot messages). I had left the computer for more than an hour between it freezing and forcibly rebooting, so it wasn't in the middle of something.

The DCOM errors are also logged when booting into safe mode, but it boots correctly.

HTTP/2 203

To try it, I connected one screen to my iGPU and one to my discrete GPU (780), and set my UEFI to use the integrated graphics. I am now able to boot into Windows, and both monitors work (with no extra software installed or anything, they just work)...

I'm going to try changing some settings because the current setup isn't really sustainable (it doesn't work great in Linux - one screen gets text and the other gets a GUI), but at least it boots now.

HTTP/2 203

If I remember correctly error code "1084" is a device issue while the "ShellHWDetection" refers to the GPU being non-responsive or undetectable. I believe that one way to fix the issue is to install the Windows 10 driver straight from Nvidia or to delete the object (GPU) from Device Manager and letting it try to obtain the base driver again.

WSearch (Windows Search) not starting up may mean that explorer.exe itself has crashed before fully booting up causing noticeable response time outs.

I don't remember what "dps" or "BITS" are for.

Mind if I ask what the error code for the EventSystem is? The EventSystem is what logs error and doesn't tell much without the code.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

On 24-12-2016 at 3:43 AM, Dutch-stoner said:

I had lots of trouble getting it to work propperly on my system. Had to switch cables/ports and go into bios (AMD APU + green team crapy GPU) and make some changes there too, before I saw an booted windows screen.

Somehow I wonder why you didn't try this before. Someone suggested to do something, which you tryed after a while, which you voted as "best answer", without remembering it has been suggested before...

1 hour ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Somehow I wonder why you didn't try this before. Someone suggested to do something, which you tryed after a while, which you voted as "best answer", without remembering it has been suggested before...

I had tried your suggestion of connecting to switching cables/ports, but the eventual solution involved connecting to the port on the motherboard and changing the UEFI setting so that it would use the onboard GPU as the display for booting, though once it gets to the windows login screen and to the linux gui it automatically switches to the discrete GPU. That may have been what you meant, but it wasn't how I interpreted your post.

On 24/12/2016 at 4:08 PM, ARikozuM said:

If I remember correctly error code "1084" is a device issue while the "ShellHWDetection" refers to the GPU being non-responsive or undetectable. I believe that one way to fix the issue is to install the Windows 10 driver straight from Nvidia or to delete the object (GPU) from Device Manager and letting it try to obtain the base driver again.

WSearch (Windows Search) not starting up may mean that explorer.exe itself has crashed before fully booting up causing noticeable response time outs.

I don't remember what "dps" or "BITS" are for.

Mind if I ask what the error code for the EventSystem is? The EventSystem is what logs error and doesn't tell much without the code.

I think the errors that I had been getting, which seem to have gone away now that the initial boot is being handled by the iGPU, are event type 10005, with error code 1084.

HTTP/2 203