i7-6700 non-k to k, what's the real difference?

Go to solution Solved by Arcanekitten,
4 minutes ago, staubgame said:

snip

It will give you a small performance boost but if you'r getting a non-z mobo it's def not worth it.

So, I have another recent thread but that question wasn't answered whereas my others were, so here's what:

I can't figure out wether the base clock difference in the i7 makes any difference.

the i7-6700 is clocked at 3.4 with 4ghz boost

while the 6700k is locked at 4ghz with 4.2 boost to a single core.

What does this actually do?

Some background:
I'll use it to play games, streaming and youtube encoding/rendering, the price difference is 50€.

I was offered a decent B150 from MSI with 16 Gigs of RAM for a extremly cheap price (new, full warranty, god bless companies buying too much) so no Z170 and overclocking anyway.

However I would pay the extra for the k if there's a boost in performance. Since the PC is requiered to be as silent as possible (personal requirement, I'm really picky on that ^^) I got used to a high end air cooler, I tried some AiO but they were loud af. (Corsair 2x240mm something-ish, forgot which one).

At the moment I'm holding on to a i7-2600k with a motherboard that starts to fail (some usb ports only work when they feel like it, 2 Sata Ports are dead. weird stuff), thus the Board and RAM Update comes at a great time.

I didn't oc the 2600k either. (Bought it with plans but never really bothered. Now I'd rather buy a new system :P )

Thanks in advance. :)

If it was me I would wait a bit more for kaby lake or even ryzen, 1-2months maybe we will start see them.

If you really can't wait get the 6700k with a Z170 motherboard, if no Z just get a 6700

1 minute ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

With a non-Z motherboard? Not enough to justify the price

So only get the 6700 non k as it is cheaper? ^^
600Mhz sound quite much but I can't really find anything on the differnce.

4 minutes ago, staubgame said:

snip

It will give you a small performance boost but if you'r getting a non-z mobo it's def not worth it.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

The only difference you'll experience (or not if you don't have a non z motherboard) is overclocking. You can just boost the non k to 4.9GHz and you'll be fine. I would recommend getting a z170 mobo as you can oc the beast to 4.69GHz stable (I saw it on one of the other members signature here on the forum)

The dream:

Spoiler

Project Malachite (in progress):

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

3 minutes ago, PCMR Ricos said:

If it was me I would wait a bit more for kaby lake or even ryzen, 1-2months maybe we will start see them.

If you really can't wait get the 6700k with a Z170 motherboard, if no Z just get a 6700

3 minutes ago, Arcanekitten said:

I'm offered the b150 board with RAM for almost nothing, saving more than 100€ already. So no waiting for kaby lake as the board will be returned then.

I'm working at a company that has one "to spare" so to say. So no selection, only the B150 and 16 Gigs RAM :P

2 minutes ago, staubgame said:

I'm offered the b150 board with RAM for almost nothing, saving more than 100€ already. So no waiting for kaby lake as the board will be returned then.

I'm working at a company that has one "to spare" so to say. So no selection, only the B150 and 16 Gigs RAM :P

Yh I wasn't suggesting you swap your mobo but it isn't overclockable so get a 6700 to save your stacks.

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

2 minutes ago, PCMR Ricos said:

Just get the 6700 and god bless you ^^

6 minutes ago, Arcanekitten said:

Guess the non K it is then. 

Thanks for your answers and have a nice christmas. :)

1 minute ago, staubgame said:

Guess the non K it is then. 

Thanks for your answers and have a nice christmas. :)

You too! Anything I will be here ;) 

The K is faster, even without OC. It is worth it.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

4 minutes ago, Praesi said:

Plus it also helps with resale value, if you plan on selling it in the future instead of just throwing to a landfill (shame on you). You should be able to get a better price if you want to sell it. 

imo I would still take the 2600k in this day and age.

I'd go with the K. It's not usually that much more, and you get more performance.

I never understand the people who say that it's not worth the cost....yet they'll gladly suggest getting a 6700k if you'd said you were getting a Z series board. Oy.

There's a 600mhz delta between these two, so the results are comparable. You're getting around a 10fps boost.

Not a ton, but there shouldn't be that much of a gap between the two CPUs in terms of price anyway.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, Praesi said:

True, but if he decides to go with the nonK he can always get a B150 or H170 Hyper and overclock using the BLCK..

On 24.12.2016 at 0:48 AM, Praesi said:

On 24.12.2016 at 0:53 AM, AkatsukiKun said:

Plus it also helps with resale value, if you plan on selling it in the future instead of just throwing to a landfill (shame on you). You should be able to get a better price if you want to sell it. 

imo I would still take the 2600k in this day and age.

The resale value is something that came to my mind as well. At the moment I can still sell my 2600k for quite a decent margin which is why i'm looking around.
For my particular offer I'm limited to the B150 Board as that is the only thing on offer for 80€, RAM included. So OC isn't really an option (except for BLCK).

However, for Overclocking I'd probably have to get a new CPU cooler as well (sporting a Dark Rock 3 from bequiet (not the bigger pro) which is really silent, but not as efficient as possible. I think I mentioned earlier that background noise is something I'm really looking out for. :) And I haven't yet found an AiO that is equally quiet. Usualy I hear the pump, shame, really. 

Asus just started being offerend with Cashback and 15% off so I need to re-evaluate. gnnn <.<

But no matter how I combine it I'd still have to pay 150€ more for Z170 with a K cpu.