New HDD and SSD

TheNeonWhiteOne
Go to solution Solved by TheNeonWhiteOne,

I think I'll just keep windows on the hdd i currently have and move games to the new one because my current one gets loud when playing games. I'll only move the games i play most to the ssd and install windows on it in the future when I get a new cpu, motherboard, ram and gpu, because I'll have to reinstall Windows for that anyway. and my motherboard only has sata II so it won't be as much of an upgrade as I thought

I am getting a 1 tb hdd and a 240gb ssd in a day and 20 hours and I think I know how I can put Windows on the ssd along with bf1 and chrome. Im just asking to make sure and I don't know what migration software to use for windows. 

heres the toms hardware post about it:http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3264615/set-hdd-ssd.html

1 minute ago, TheNeonWhiteOne said:

I am getting a 1 tb hdd and a 240gb ssd in a day and 20 hours and I think I know how I can put Windows on the ssd along with bf1 and chrome. Im just asking to make sure and I don't know what migration software to use for windows. 

heres the toms hardware post about it:http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3264615/set-hdd-ssd.html

Are you going to install Windows on the SSD? The simple thing to do would be to do a fresh install of Windows on the SSD and use the HDD as a storage device.

This old guide Linus made still works today. Just plug both drives in at the same time, boot up the system with the installer for Windows plugged into a USB drive or the disc in an optical drive, and select that particular thing to boot from.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

3 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Are you going to install Windows on the SSD? The simple thing to do would be to do a fresh install of Windows on the SSD and use the HDD as a storage device.

This old guide Linus made still works today. Just plug both drives in at the same time, boot up the system with the installer for Windows plugged into a USB drive or the disc in an optical drive, and select that particular thing to boot from.

I would prefer not to reinstall Windows and all that stuff, would rather migrate it

2 minutes ago, TheNeonWhiteOne said:

I would prefer not to reinstall Windows and all that stuff, would rather migrate it

Migration is just asking for tons of problems. Do the easy thing and reinstall Windows. If you're worried about losing data and all that then do the following:

Installed Windows on your fresh new SSD. Feel free to leave your new HDD plugged in while you do so. Of course, when you select a drive to install Windows on, double check that you're selecting your SSD to install Windows on.

Once Windows is installed and is working to a point where you're satisfied with messing with it, turn off your PC, plug in your old hard drive, and boot up Windows. Make sure your force your BIOS to choose to boot into the install of Windows on your SSD.

Your old hard drive should show up in File Explorer. Go into your User folder and you should find any and all files that are absolutely essential for you. Drag and drop them to your new drives however you like.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

6 minutes ago, TheNeonWhiteOne said:

then you would have to clone the windows partition from the HDD over to the SSD. try using acronis. but the guy above me is right. migrating is just asking for trouble. ive tried that before and it booted but none of my software ran correctly 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

I can move all my games and files to the new hdd then freshly install Windows 10 on my sdd. But what about all my drivers and such, do I have to reinstall all that too and go through that hassle

I think I'll just keep windows on the hdd i currently have and move games to the new one because my current one gets loud when playing games. I'll only move the games i play most to the ssd and install windows on it in the future when I get a new cpu, motherboard, ram and gpu, because I'll have to reinstall Windows for that anyway. and my motherboard only has sata II so it won't be as much of an upgrade as I thought