if a laptop can run prime95 without over heating would you say thats good enough?

vanwazltoff

I am more of a desktop person and I know the temperature thresholds for them and what would be acceptable temps for full load and idle and OCing, from what I understand laptops are not even supposed to be in situations where the processor is at full load for long periods of time, by that logic I assume that a non high performance laptop that can sustain prime95 on a blanket where most of the air intakes are covered up and still have temps that are still a good 10-25C below the shut off point would be perfectly acceptable for daily use and mid-low end gaming

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

Well, TBH running P95 while sitting on a blanket would be exceptional for any laptop, my P370EM is running p95 "blend" as I type this and hitting 70C with 100% fan speed on all three fans *louder than most desktops* on a rock hard surface with the rear of the laptop raised approx 3cm, and that's an ULTRA performance notebook (P13k 3dm11) with extremely strong cooling.

*80C with system fans on "Auto", same surface, back still raised.

*83C same settings, laptop flat on bench.

In summary - If your laptop can run p95 while sitting on a blanket, consider yourself lucky. Probably not the greatest idea to stress the cooling system that way though - once you add some dust buildup those temps tend to skyrocket.

Desktop - Custom watercooled R4E/i7 3930k/GTX 780 SLI/32gb 2400mhz DDR3/Xonar STX/OCZ V4 256gb RAID 0/24tb RAID 5

Laptop - Clevo P370EM - i7 3630QM/GTX 680M SLI/8gb 1866mhz DDR3/840 pro 256gb RAID 0/750gb mechanical

Well' date=' TBH running P95 while sitting on a blanket would be exceptional for any laptop, my P370EM is running p95 "blend" as I type this and hitting 70C with 100% fan speed on all three fans *louder than most desktops* on a rock hard surface with the rear of the laptop raised approx 3cm, and that's an ULTRA performance notebook (P13k 3dm11) with extremely strong cooling. *80C with system fans on "Auto", same surface, back still raised. *83C same settings, laptop flat on bench. In summary - If your laptop can run p95 while sitting on a blanket, consider yourself lucky. Probably not the greatest idea to stress the cooling system that way though - once you add some dust buildup those temps tend to skyrocket.[/quote']

Its actually a customers laptop and I replaced the thermal paste with MX-4 and I put it on a blanket with most the ventilation covered up to simulate a real world scenario with a less realistic CPU and heat overload to make sure it wasn't hot to the touch on any surface. If I were to do the same test as you the temps would be less than 75C, I didnt do a blend test, I did the max heat test, I think it was small or large in place FFT test, I forget which one

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)