960m overclocking

App4that

My side fling is a Y700 with a 960m. The 960m has an ASIC of over 86%, but you don't get many options for overclocking. I can max the +135 on the core no problem. 

Anyone flashed the bios on one? Had any luck?

P.S. Don't need any performance, silly thing runs NMS maxed while staying under 60c with the fan not even kicking in. Just want to play around with it. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

dude don't its a vary big liability and a stupid idea to overclock a enclosed laptop. 

I'm, not the brightest bulb in the bunch. And kinda figured. But curiosity and all.

Yeah overclocking on laptops is not something I would recommend. Laptops are usually engineered to use the minimal amount of fans to keep the components at a safe operating temperature, so if you overclock and it gets a bit hotter you could certainly run into some issues with thermal throttling and you could damage your components. Also this would likely void your warranty.

Specs:

CPU: i5-6500 3.2 GHz Mobo: ASRock H110M-HDV RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2133 MHz DDR4 GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition Storage: 120GB Sandisk Ultra II 1 TB WD HDD 7200 RPM PSU: Antec VP600P 600W Display: CrossOver 2795QHD 2560x1440 105 Hz OC OS: Windows 10 64 bit

Just now, Speshul_ said:

Yeah overclocking on laptops is not something I would recommend. Laptops are usually engineered to use the minimal amount of fans to keep the components at a safe operating temperature, so if you overclock and it gets a bit hotter you could certainly run into some issues with thermal throttling and you could damage your components. Also this would likely void your warranty.

A 960m runs cool, it's not like a 970m. Hottest I've ever seen it even at over 1300MHZ was 60c. 

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

A 960m runs cool, it's not like a 970m. Hottest I've ever seen it even at over 1300MHZ was 60c. 

That's pretty hot for a Laptop TBH......

1 minute ago, NoNamer12345 said:

That's pretty hot for a Laptop TBH......

LOL, no. You could cook an egg on my wife's Apache Pro. Give her shit about it all the time. 

Just now, App4that said:

LOL, no. You could cook an egg on my wife's Apache Pro. Give her shit about it all the time. 

You could even cook an egg with a car engine. BTW bios flashing would result in parts not being recognized by the bios and, hence windows.

1 minute ago, NoNamer12345 said:

You could even cook an egg with a car engine. BTW bios flashing would result in parts not being recognized by the bios and, hence windows.

Difference is you don't type on a car engine LOL. Seriously, heat is not a concern.

Windows is also, not a concern. CS major. More curious if anyone's done it. 

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Difference is you don't type on a car engine LOL. Seriously, heat is not a concern.

Windows is also, not a concern. CS major. More curious if anyone's done it. 

My friend once flashed a bios on a (Brace yourself) *cough* ChromeBook *cough* and managed to install windows on it. Flashing Bios is something you have to be very careful. And if something happens to the laptop, You have to accept it. This is coming from a guy who tried to install custom laptop overclockable bios. I had to reinstall windows and then there was this overheating problem where it always goes above 90c. Had to reinstall all drivers and buy a laptop cooler. Thankfully that site has been taken down!

Yeah, we have specific servers space for the crap we pull on campus for that reason. If, or when we crash it no one else loses their shit. 

Seems a waste. Good little card and it's got a ton of headroom. My guess is it would hit 1500MHz easy. Might make it a final project for this semester. Hmmmm.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Yeah, we have specific servers space for the crap we pull on campus for that reason. If, or when we crash it no one else loses their shit. 

Seems a waste. Good little card and it's got a ton of headroom. My guess is it would hit 1500MHz easy. Might make it a final project for this semester. Hmmmm.

Yeah. If you even end up breaking it, its is going to cause trouble. Be sure to keep it under 70C

Certain laptop designs allow the cpu and GPU to approach 90C.

OP isn't pushing any extra volts anyway, so any additional heat is negligible. Volts are what ordinarily ramps up the heat output. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Certain laptop designs allow the cpu and GPU to approach 90C.

OP isn't pushing any extra volts anyway, so any additional heat is negligible. Volts are what ordinarily ramps up the heat output. 

Yeah I'm not sure where people are getting that. The 960m is just a 750ti. 

5 minutes ago, App4that said:

Yeah I'm not sure where people are getting that. The 960m is just a 750ti. 

Overclocking laptops is quite fun. My laptop's Radeon 5470 overclocked eons better than my desktop GTX 960, and with better than 100% Scaling for clock speed increase. Just a shame it's still so low performance as to not be very useful. 

My eyes see the past…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Overclocking laptops is quite fun. My laptop's Radeon 5470 overclocked eons better than my desktop GTX 960, and with better than 100% Scaling for clock speed increase. Just a shame it's still so low performance as to not be very useful. 

I doubled the clock speed on my HD4600. People forget the smaller the chip, the more you can ring it's neck LOL

Just now, App4that said:

I doubled the clock speed on my HD4600. People forget the smaller the chip, the more you can ring it's neck LOL

My Radeon 5470 went from 750 MHz to 900 MHz, (and the RAM from 800 to 1000 MHz). Battlefield 3 on Low settings went from about 21 fps average to 26 fps, just enough to be playable. 

Parents got me that game without asking about the system requirements. 

I wonder if the Bay Trail Atom can be overclocked, now that I consider. 

My eyes see the past…