Low fps although not reaching 100 percent usage

Go to solution Solved by WereCat,

What cooler are you using and what temperature you are getting?

Your motherboard is not really good for handling this CPU and it may be throttling a lot due to overloading the VRMs.

Edit:

Actually I am positive it is because of that motherboard as it is VERY bad. Your CPU is 220W TDP and you need at least 990FX board for it, yours its for the FX4000 series CPUs and even those will be pushing it.

I tried to figure out why I get so low fps and I noticed that nothing in my setup seems to run at 100%. ( They can run at 100% tho. I've seen it before. )

I'll include a picture of afterburner. I took that picture while running "Cities Skylines" at 18fps (!) although cpu & gpu were both only at about 50%.

I don't really know what to check anymore.

Mainboard: ASRock N68-GS4 FX

CPU:           AMD FX-9590

GPU:          Sapphire radeon rx 480 nitro+

RAM:          2x 8GB DDR3

I'll include pictures with more specific specs.

Thanks in advance!

Afterburner.png

Specs.png

GPU-Z.PNG

CPU-Z.PNG

CPU-Z_Mainboard.PNG

CPU-Z_Memory.PNG

CPU-Z_SPD.PNG

Jesus this is the most in-depth post I've ever seen, kudos! However, I wouldn't exactly know...How optimised is the game?

Cities Skylines is huge CPU single threaded dependand game and thats most likely why.

Your CPU is most likely the cause of bottleneck. Why it is runing at 50%? Because its not using all cores effectively and the ones that run are weak even at that frequency.

GPU is just bored as that game is not really GPU intensive.

1 minute ago, adithyay328 said:

Jesus this is the most in-depth post I've ever seen, kudos! However, I wouldn't exactly know...How optimised is the game?

Thanks ^^ It's optimised enough for what I did in it so there's no way it should be that low. I have the same problem in other games too tho, Rocket League for example. You can see how the gpu usage "bounces" between two states. It seems like the same happens with my fps. Whenever my fps drop, the gpu usage drops too, so the gpu isn't the bottleneck.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Cities Skylines is huge CPU single threaded dependand game and thats most likely why.

I had the same thing in CS: GO the other day tho. My fps bounced between 150(ish) and 40.

I ran some tests and found that my cpu is the bottleneck like WereCat suggested. The taskmanager wasn't showing the right numbers so I used perfmon to get the right ones and it's maxing out. But I got a pretty highend CPU so it shouldn't perform so poorly so I did a benchmark and compared my score to other benchmarks with the exact same cpu and found that mine runs ridiculously slow for some reason.

(Look in the bottom left of the chart)

cpuBenchmark.PNG

Your motherboard is not really good for handling this CPU and it may be throttling a lot due to overloading the VRMs.

Edit:

Actually I am positive it is because of that motherboard as it is VERY bad. Your CPU is 220W TDP and you need at least 990FX board for it, yours its for the FX4000 series CPUs and even those will be pushing it.

14 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I'm using a "Alpenföhn Broken 2" and the temps were 25C/77F during the benchmark so thats not it.

Yea that's probably it.. Too bad. You don't happen to know a microATX AM3+ mainboard that's good enough, do you?

4 minutes ago, Krachwumm said:

I'm using a "Alpenföhn Broken 2" and the temps were 25C/77F during the benchmark so thats not it.

Yea that's probably it.. Too bad. You don't happen to know a microATX AM3+ mainboard that's good enough, do you?

As far as I know there is no such board for your CPU.

3 minutes ago, Krachwumm said:

Just found an fx-6350. Is that faster?

You have the best FX CPU there is however you don't have motherboard that can supply enough power to drive it at 100% and I doubt that your motherboard could handle even FX6350.

Don't really wanna take apart my micro-atx case but I guess I'll have to go back to atx then.. Thanks for the help tho!

15 minutes ago, Krachwumm said:

Don't really wanna take apart my micro-atx case but I guess I'll have to go back to atx then.. Thanks for the help tho!

To be honest... just sell it.

Reasons:

1.) You need 990FX motherboard and those are quite expensive considering AM3+ is dead platform and with no upgrade path.

2.) If you don't have ATX case you will need ATX case.

3.) To drive FX9590 at max speed you will either need AIO water cooler or top of the line air cooler and those are almost $80-$100.

So you will spend about $250 to get max of your CPU...or you can take these $250, sell your motherboard, RAM, CPU for about $120..so you will have $370.

Just buy i5 6500, new motherboard and DDR4 RAM. This will cost quite a bit less than $370 but you get AT LEAST double the performance!

And you can stay with micro ATX and your case and it will also use almost 4x less power.