Need help understanding conversions, video editing (keyframes), RGB/YUV

MajorFoley

Ok so last year when i was actively uploading on youtube i noticed that my colors on my youtube videos were kind of slightly washed out (yet later i thought that it was brightness/contrast being raised) and i created a thread on videohelp

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/374674-x264-conversion-with-Virtualdub-sony-vegas-13-Color-issues

Honestly it got way too technical than i thought it was going to be as much as i'm trying to understand it

So currently i record with FRAPS (not efficient i know but enough to suit my needs atm) and when i finish recording, i convert my video using the x264 codec with virtual dub which my settings are shown in the uploaded video.

Funnily enough if i try using Keep RGB, VLC refuses to play it, it's just a green screen no matter what i do but windows media player plays it fine. There are some screenshots on that thread of the examples i took about the small color differences but if requested i can reupload them to this thread.

I want to make a transition to using something like sony vegas stuido so i can edit my videos with intros, effects like fade in's etc. I have done a couple of tests with it and i found that unless i tick zero latency, the videos become horribly out of sync the longer the video goes, but i dont have quite the understanding of what zero latency actually does.

Another thing is on that thread i linked a video that the person mentioned if you wanted to use sony vegas you had to use something like --keyint 1 or vegas would refuse to open the video? I know when i have done a conversion in either Vdub or Sony Vegas i couldn't open the compressed video again. I don't exactly know much about keyframes so i found this link when i was searching vegas and keyframe --1 and found this link but still a little lost. It says there are limited keyframes but not every frame can be a keyframe but if you do keyframe 1 wouldn' that turn every frame into a keyframe?

https://www.bandicam.com/support/tips/h264-fourcc/

And of course this is turning out to be a big thread but another thing in my x264 settings what are output modes VFW and file and then the VFW FourCC i mean its like it has 2 copies of x.264 and h2.64 with 1 capitalised and the other not. What differences are there between them?

x264xfw64 settings (current).png

Another thing i just wanted to ask, when i recoreded with fraps i believe the video colors it's using is YUV (it doesn't say what according to media info) but i accidently compressed with using the keep input colourspace option in x264 and when i looked at the media info on the converted file i saw that it as YUV 4:4:4. Why does it take so much longer if it isn't really even converting it but keeping it the same color space? Is it because it has alot more detail than YUV 4:2:0? Would the same hold true to keep/accept only RGB?