Watercooling on a Budget

Go to solution Solved by atomicus,
2 hours ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

So it really is more about Rad per component rather than 1 Rad to rule them all ?

Yes, that is true. But as mentioned, for a GPU only loop, a single 240 is fine. You could always look at adding another rad etc. further down the line as and when you can afford it, but you would need a sufficient pump for that of course. 

If you leave your CPU out the loop, it is possible to just WC your GPU for your budget, but only JUST. And it's only possible because you already have the block. To do both within your budget is the problem, and I just don't quite see how this could be done (short of buying second hand), especially as we seem to be living in the most expensive country in the world for PC components right now. The £/$ rate has tanked, and even buying from the EU ends up costing a fortune.

Even just doing your GPU requires making something of a compromise, but I understand the noise of the Titan X cooler is your main problem, so going this route should at least resolve that. However, I have read plenty of cases where people have watercooled on the cheap and ended up with noisy pumps and fans, which while the overall dB level (and even temps) may not be so bad, the actual 'tone' of the noise is very annoying. This is something to think about it. Some noises are just annoying, regardless of how loud they are.

So these are unfinished pics as i killed my PSU and will not be beautifying the case till then, also it did need a massive clean in these photos and i was able to do so. 

WhatsApp Image 2017-02-27 at 22.54.46.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2017-02-27 at 22.53.46.jpeg

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

and for those wondering how i actually drain the system its pretty easy. The Res is very movable and i simply attach a tube to the top and turn it upside down and move the case around a little. Already managed to drain without any serious issues. 

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz