Watercooling on a Budget

Go to solution Solved by atomicus,
2 hours ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

So it really is more about Rad per component rather than 1 Rad to rule them all ?

Yes, that is true. But as mentioned, for a GPU only loop, a single 240 is fine. You could always look at adding another rad etc. further down the line as and when you can afford it, but you would need a sufficient pump for that of course. 

If you leave your CPU out the loop, it is possible to just WC your GPU for your budget, but only JUST. And it's only possible because you already have the block. To do both within your budget is the problem, and I just don't quite see how this could be done (short of buying second hand), especially as we seem to be living in the most expensive country in the world for PC components right now. The £/$ rate has tanked, and even buying from the EU ends up costing a fortune.

Even just doing your GPU requires making something of a compromise, but I understand the noise of the Titan X cooler is your main problem, so going this route should at least resolve that. However, I have read plenty of cases where people have watercooled on the cheap and ended up with noisy pumps and fans, which while the overall dB level (and even temps) may not be so bad, the actual 'tone' of the noise is very annoying. This is something to think about it. Some noises are just annoying, regardless of how loud they are.

Well it's very ghetto and the res/pump mounted outside the case looks awful, plus the tubing is a mess, but if you're happy with what you spent (and given) and your temps/noise levels are good, then none of that really matters. I don't see a drain port though.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

On 07/01/2017 at 0:23 PM, atomicus said:

Well it's very ghetto and the res/pump mounted outside the case looks awful, plus the tubing is a mess, but if you're happy with what you spent (and given) and your temps/noise levels are good, then none of that really matters. I don't see a drain port though.

:o 

I personally like the res/pump mounted outside - not that i had any choice. Tubing wise im sorta happy with loops and shit in it. I've ended up spending £140 including the GPU block. The pump is silent and i get brilliant temps compared to the stock bullshit cooling before, Roughly a 30c difference in temps. 

One day maybe i will do the whole "Hardline tubing and spending £30 a fitting and buying a whole new case etc." but for now i'm really happy. 

I don't get the "ghetto" comment though its not like I've used cable ties and shit.

Anyways as far as drain port goes ive got a fitting in the top of the big rad that i can drain out of.

like this : 

Image result for drain port water cooling

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

3 minutes ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

:o 

I personally like the res/pump mounted outside - not that i had any choice. Tubing wise im sorta happy with loops and shit in it. I've ended up spending £140 including the GPU block. The pump is silent and i get brilliant temps compared to the stock bullshit cooling before, Roughly a 30c difference in temps. 

One day maybe i will do the whole "Hardline tubing and spending £30 a fitting and buying a whole new case etc." but for now i'm really happy. 

I don't get the "ghetto" comment though its not like I've used cable ties and shit.

Anyways as far as drain port goes ive got a fitting in the top of the big rad that i can drain out of.

Plenty of builds in this case have the res/pump inside, but your config obviously didn't allow it. It does look rather precarious as you have it, but like I say, if it works and you're happy, that's all that matters.

Hard line fittings can be had for around £4-5 each lol, don't know where you get £30 from??

Can't see the drain port, but that's fine as long as you have one at a low point somewhere.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

2 hours ago, atomicus said:

Plenty of builds in this case have the res/pump inside, but your config obviously didn't allow it. It does look rather precarious as you have it, but like I say, if it works and you're happy, that's all that matters.

Hard line fittings can be had for around £4-5 each lol, don't know where you get £30 from??

Can't see the drain port, but that's fine as long as you have one at a low point somewhere.

Well regardless, thanks for all your help :) 

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

On 19/12/2016 at 4:06 PM, Hayabusa1989 said:

Hi,

So i have a £150-160 max budget to build a loop,
I already have the GPU Block for my Titan X (also came with a backplate)

Image result for ek titan x block manual

I need to obvs build a full loop around it. 

I am relatively new to Watercooling despite doing this myself with some cheap pump and old bits of AIO coolers - yes silly i know but fun : 
IMG-20160615-WA0025.jpg

Anywho i have £150 roughly to spend and need enough cooling power to cool the Titan X and the CPU - I will admit the CPU is an awful overclocker. 

The Titan X i really want to be able to push into the 1500mhz range though. 

Can you guys help me ?!?!?

Edit : i was hoping to use  7/16" ID 5/8" OD 16/11mm  tubing as i already have lots (see picture)

With that budget maybe check around ebay for rads if you give them a good flush then you'll be fine the 360mm rads usually go for 35 ish on ebay uk 

On 1/9/2017 at 2:51 AM, MekaStrix said:

With that budget maybe check around ebay for rads if you give them a good flush then you'll be fine the 360mm rads usually go for 35 ish on ebay uk 

its already done but thank you :)

Chicken Nuggets

Water cooling is noisier than air cooling most of the time.(pumps, fans)

|| i7-4790k | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Corsair RM650i 80+ Gold | Corsair 200R ||

What Pump or Fan are you using mine is silent :S

Chicken Nuggets

1 hour ago, Popi said:

Water cooling is noisier than air cooling most of the time.(pumps, fans)

LOL, no it is not! You are quite simply doing watercooling wrong if you are experiencing that.

4 hours ago, atomicus said:

LOL, no it is not! You are quite simply doing watercooling wrong if you are experiencing that.

I am not doing watercooling. Good air cooler tbh outperforms AIO units for an example in noise and performance.

And yes air cooling is quieter than watercooling(leds things make sound)

|| i7-4790k | MSI Z87-G45 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Corsair RM650i 80+ Gold | Corsair 200R ||

1 hour ago, Popi said:

I am not doing watercooling. Good air cooler tbh outperforms AIO units for an example in noise and performance.

Are you are lumping AIOs in with custom loops? They are a totally different thing, and yes they are generally noisier than air coolers. But I am referring to a custom loop. You CAN have a noisy system with a custom loop, but as I say, only if you do it wrong. Done right, it can inaudible.

13 hours ago, atomicus said:

Are you are lumping AIOs in with custom loops? They are a totally different thing, and yes they are generally noisier than air coolers. But I am referring to a custom loop. You CAN have a noisy system with a custom loop, but as I say, only if you do it wrong. Done right, it can inaudible.

Tempted to change this to the "marked as solved" lol

Chicken Nuggets

15 hours ago, Popi said:

Also this is highly dependant on what AIO unit you are using surely ? 

(also whilst my loop may not be as sophisticated as others it is silent)

And no you can't beat Custom Loop for performance with Air if the Loop is done well even I know that.

Chicken Nuggets

if you have £150 why dont you just save an extra £150 and get the P360 kit from EKWB and your GPU to the loop you will be hard pressed to get a loop going with £150 and for that price would you risk you're rig getting destroyed?

l i7 5930k | Rampage V Extreme | Corsair H110i GTX | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 Superclocked ACX 3.0 | EVGA SuperNova 750w G2 | Samsung 960 Evo 250GB l Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | 1 TB WD Red | Corsair 900D |

Evolution - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LbJq9W

CPU-Z Validation - http://valid.x86.fr/3dxmew

On 11.1.2017 at 9:17 PM, atomicus said:

Of course it can be inaudible if you've got couple of 360mm/420mm rads, so you could turn the fan speed on the lowest setting.

1 minute ago, Popi said:

Of course it can be inaudible if you've got couple of 360mm/420mm rads, so you could turn the fan speed on the lowest setting.

Even x2 280's would do it, or a single 280 for a CPU only loop.

I like the res/pump on the outside.  Is the res centered in the middle of the case?  Kinda reminds me of mine that sticks though a table surface.  

Watercooling is definitely quieter than air.  The ONLY data point that MAY be debatable would be idle usage noise readings but that's bs and like judging PC's by idle temps.  I've got 2xD5 running full speed and since they're properly decoupled, I can't hear a thing from them.  Noisiest thing is my HDD and it's not bad at all. 

Imo the best thing I ever did with watercooling was changing my fan curves to react to water temps instead of component temps. Since I've got lots of rad space (just over 1000mm x 120mm) I can have my fans go from 500rpm  at idle to 800rpm after 15 minutes or so of a full load and still maintain <50°c temps all around

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

On 12/01/2017 at 11:59 AM, RxL said:

if you have £150 why dont you just save an extra £150 and get the P360 kit from EKWB and your GPU to the loop you will be hard pressed to get a loop going with £150 and for that price would you risk you're rig getting destroyed?

I have already finished my build, check page 2.

Chicken Nuggets

On 13/01/2017 at 11:53 AM, Popi said:

Someone is very "anti" water for no reason.

Chicken Nuggets

On 14/01/2017 at 0:28 PM, 0ld_Chicken said:

I like the res/pump on the outside.  Is the res centered in the middle of the case?  Kinda reminds me of mine that sticks though a table surface.  

Watercooling is definitely quieter than air.  The ONLY data point that MAY be debatable would be idle usage noise readings but that's bs and like judging PC's by idle temps.  I've got 2xD5 running full speed and since they're properly decoupled, I can't hear a thing from them.  Noisiest thing is my HDD and it's not bad at all. 

Imo the best thing I ever did with watercooling was changing my fan curves to react to water temps instead of component temps. Since I've got lots of rad space (just over 1000mm x 120mm) I can have my fans go from 500rpm  at idle to 800rpm after 15 minutes or so of a full load and still maintain <50°c temps all around

ahh thanks :)

Chicken Nuggets

18 hours ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

Someone is very "anti" water for no reason.

I'm not anti watercooling.

1 minute ago, Popi said:

to say its more noisy than air....

Chicken Nuggets

12 minutes ago, Popi said:

its fine if you are some people are its not a big deal

Chicken Nuggets

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo After much thought, i will properly re-open or create another thread as in a few months time i will fully rebuild this and try to make it all contained tidy and nice :) My biggest reason is i get very close to kicking the tubes on the outside. First i need a new desk however. Consider this thread dead for a while unless anyone wants me to do benchmarks and or heat tests etc. 

IMG_0006.JPG

Chicken Nuggets

• 5 weeks later...

So I did redo it all inside a HAF-X Pictures Soon :) 

Chicken Nuggets