Watercooling on a Budget

Go to solution Solved by atomicus,
2 hours ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

So it really is more about Rad per component rather than 1 Rad to rule them all ?

Yes, that is true. But as mentioned, for a GPU only loop, a single 240 is fine. You could always look at adding another rad etc. further down the line as and when you can afford it, but you would need a sufficient pump for that of course. 

If you leave your CPU out the loop, it is possible to just WC your GPU for your budget, but only JUST. And it's only possible because you already have the block. To do both within your budget is the problem, and I just don't quite see how this could be done (short of buying second hand), especially as we seem to be living in the most expensive country in the world for PC components right now. The £/$ rate has tanked, and even buying from the EU ends up costing a fortune.

Even just doing your GPU requires making something of a compromise, but I understand the noise of the Titan X cooler is your main problem, so going this route should at least resolve that. However, I have read plenty of cases where people have watercooled on the cheap and ended up with noisy pumps and fans, which while the overall dB level (and even temps) may not be so bad, the actual 'tone' of the noise is very annoying. This is something to think about it. Some noises are just annoying, regardless of how loud they are.

If you got a rad such as the XSPC EX240 Multiport, you could add a drain valve on to this easily.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

What about EK predator?

It cost 170€, so should be around 140GBP.

It already have CPU block, so you would just need to add your GPU in the loop also.

Then again, 240mm rad isn't perfect for Titan GPU + CPU.

Unless you want to just water cool GPU :P

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

16 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

What about EK predator?

It cost 170€, so should be around 140GBP.

It already have CPU block, so you would just need to add your GPU in the loop also.

Then again, 240mm rad isn't perfect for Titan GPU + CPU.

Unless you want to just water cool GPU :P

He doesn't have CPU block, and already has GPU block, so that poses an issue. Plus the Predator 240 alone is over his budget (we get shafted in UK on prices, it's £175 here), nevermind fittings he'd need to modify in order to use his block, and he's stated a dislike for black tubing. Still, not a bad idea if he could stretch to it. I have seen people modify the Predators with good results. As you say though, not a good idea for CPU + GPU together, but he could adapt for GPU only.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

3 minutes ago, atomicus said:

He doesn't have CPU block, and already has GPU block, so that poses an issue. Plus the Predator 240 alone is over his budget, nevermind fittings he'd need to modify in order to use his block, and he's stated a dislike for black tubing. Still, not a bad idea if he could stretch to it. I have seen people modify the Predators with good results. As you say though, not a good idea for CPU + GPU together, but he could adapt for GPU only.

would the pump in the predator have enough power to eventually add another rad and cpu block ?

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

2 minutes ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

would the pump in the predator have enough power to eventually add another rad and cpu block ?

It's not really designed for that, but you'd have to ask someone who has done it and see what temps they are getting. I've not seen it done personally. It would not be advisable IMO. 99% of the time the advice would be to go full custom rather than try this.

2 minutes ago, atomicus said:

It's not really designed for that, but you'd have to ask someone who has done it and see what temps they are getting. I've not seen it done personally. It would not be advisable IMO.

why do they add the option for it though ?

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

4 minutes ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

why do they add the option for it though ?

I have no idea. A 240 for CPU + GPU breaks one of the cardinal rules of watercooling that even the most basic of guides tells you about. I've seen people with the 360 Predator using the pre-filled blocks for a CPU + GPU loop, and the temps are nothing special, so for a 240 (even with an additional rad), they will NOT be good. Besides, all in this is an expensive solution, and as I say, the advice would always be to go custom for that kind of money.

this has been a slightly dis-heartening time for lil old me :( 

Going to have a rethink

Chicken Nuggets

10 minutes ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

this has been a slightly dis-heartening time for lil old me :( 

Going to have a rethink

I do understand that. No cheap and easy route to watercooling unfortunately, not without significant compromises anyway.

2 minutes ago, atomicus said:

I do understand that. No cheap and easy route to watercooling unfortunately, not without significant compromises anyway.

Apart from some Awful AIO's like the Rajintek Triton Leak Master Pro 240

Chicken Nuggets

7 minutes ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

Apart from some Awful AIO's like the Rajintek Triton Leak Master Pro 240

Which is no better than an air cooler for a CPU, worse even.

48 minutes ago, atomicus said:

Which is no better than an air cooler for a CPU, worse even.

Would a Massively thick rad be okay for GPU and CPU ? i.E like this one :

Image result for alphacool monsta 240

Chicken Nuggets

54 minutes ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

Would a Massively thick rad be okay for GPU and CPU ? i.E like this one :

No it doesn't work like that... a thick rad can help, but it's all about diminishing returns. It will struggle.

7 hours ago, atomicus said:

If you want to spend £30 on a pump, go for it, but generally you will get what you pay for. I've read many tales of people going cheap on watercooling and regretting it. I always ask people WHY they want to do this. Is it temps? Quietness? Aesthetics? Why have you specifically ruled out air cooling? The words 'budget' and 'watercooling' really are somewhat incongruous, particularly when you're talking about such a low amount of money to achieve it.

I used it in a loop that ran through two CPU blocks, but I'm not sure if that is equivalent to a CPU block and a GPU block like what @Hayabusa1989 is doing.

12 hours ago, atomicus said:

Forgot you had that block already. Well, you could get the XSPC ION pump which is about £35, a cheap rad for £30 (Magicool G2 is cheap), you'd need fittings of course, x2 for each component, so x6 minimum, and they'll be £4 each, so that's another £25. Don't if you have fans, but that's another £15-20 most likely, for rad optimised ones. You can have a drain valve located anywhere, ideally lowest point, so fittings for that will be around £15-20. XSPC do a good value one, but you'll need some other fittings either side of this of course, so you need to factor that in to the cost.

Looks like Atomicus saved the day again!

@Hayabusa1989

The Magicool's are pretty good rads, I've used a couple and they're just about as good as any other.  They arent quite as beautiful but they get the job done CHEAP!  Though the multi-port rads would make draining easier with additional cost for plugging all their spare holes.  

Ion's are also great since they include a (very small) res and have a pretty good output for the price.  

I would definitely recommend getting as much rad space as you can afford/fit.  Thickness helps a bit but it's really all about length... That's what she said...  

what kind of case are you using? or rather how much rad space could you fit in it?  preferably with one radiator to keep costs down

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

OK lets take a look at going with 3/8 barb instead of 7/16 compression fittings. With this selection you will have more options at a reduced price and using a barb fitting you should save enough to buy new hose and bag a few bucks for something else.

$0.99 Nylon Straight Barb 3/8

$0.79 Metal Reusable Hose Clamp (might find locally cheaper)

$1.78 total

Compared to Compression

$3.99 XSPC G1/4" to 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD Compression Fitting - Chrome Finish

I like the idea of the $39.95 Topsflo-TDC pump due to its price.

If the NZX H440 case(Video) is the one your using than you have a few options as far as rads i.e. "Liquid cooling support: 240mm, 280mm, 360mm Radiators (Front and Top) ".

Hit the Funny Button!    :D     The more you press it the funnier you get  :)

---------------------------------------------->

Projekt Wasserturm  Office/Game Room Remodel

11 hours ago, Eddie Current said:

OK lets take a look at going with 3/8 barb instead of 7/16 compression fittings. With this selection you will have more options at a reduced price and using a barb fitting you should save enough to buy new hose and bag a few bucks for something else.

$0.99 Nylon Straight Barb 3/8

$0.79 Metal Reusable Hose Clamp (might find locally cheaper)

$1.78 total

Compared to Compression

$3.99 XSPC G1/4" to 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD Compression Fitting - Chrome Finish

I like the idea of the $39.95 Topsflo-TDC pump due to its price.

If the NZX H440 case(Video) is the one your using than you have a few options as far as rads i.e. "Liquid cooling support: 240mm, 280mm, 360mm Radiators (Front and Top) ".

He already has two 7/16 compression fittings.

How about buying alphacool eisbaer 240 + alphacool eiswolf 240 radiator + alphacool extension tubes. Price should be around 200 euros which I would consider to be very cheap to build custom loop with ease.

3 hours ago, sl06bhytmar said:

How about buying alphacool eisbaer 240 + alphacool eiswolf 240 radiator + alphacool extension tubes. Price should be around 200 euros which I would consider to be very cheap to build custom loop with ease.

This was my original idea however i have been informed that this might not be a worthwhile option due to pump not being great on it :(

But it was my original idea :

Edit : Also no black tubes ever :( lol maybe for like a drain port but otherwise no black tubes :(

mywaterbuild.JPG

Chicken Nuggets

16 hours ago, atomicus said:

No it doesn't work like that... a thick rad can help, but it's all about diminishing returns. It will struggle.

So it really is more about Rad per component rather than 1 Rad to rule them all ?

Chicken Nuggets

2 hours ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

Yes, that is true. But as mentioned, for a GPU only loop, a single 240 is fine. You could always look at adding another rad etc. further down the line as and when you can afford it, but you would need a sufficient pump for that of course. 

If you leave your CPU out the loop, it is possible to just WC your GPU for your budget, but only JUST. And it's only possible because you already have the block. To do both within your budget is the problem, and I just don't quite see how this could be done (short of buying second hand), especially as we seem to be living in the most expensive country in the world for PC components right now. The £/$ rate has tanked, and even buying from the EU ends up costing a fortune.

Even just doing your GPU requires making something of a compromise, but I understand the noise of the Titan X cooler is your main problem, so going this route should at least resolve that. However, I have read plenty of cases where people have watercooled on the cheap and ended up with noisy pumps and fans, which while the overall dB level (and even temps) may not be so bad, the actual 'tone' of the noise is very annoying. This is something to think about it. Some noises are just annoying, regardless of how loud they are.

11 minutes ago, atomicus said:

agreed the shitty £12 pump i bought for my "make a loop from old AIO Bits" had the most awful clanky noises sometimes. 

Chicken Nuggets

What about... if i did the below

But instead of using the inbuilt pump on the Eisbaer i dont plug it in and use a pump like this one (that way the Eisbaer is both a Res and a CPU block of sorts?):
$_86.JPG

Laing DDC-1T 

??

mywaterbuild.JPG

Edited by Hayabusa1989

Chicken Nuggets

• 3 weeks later...

Update : 

My friend gave me a 
D5 Pump with EK Topper
EK Res 200ml i think

240m MONSTA 80mm thick Radiator by Alphacool

I bought some tubing, fittings, cpu block, 120mm radiator and an extra fan. 

hello.jpg

Testing and then 

hello 2.jpg

Will update further when lighting is added. 

Thank you all for your help !

Chicken Nuggets

lemme know what you guys think :)6d88bede-0304-4252-955f-5105ead4e5ad.mp4

66e431d7-7f5e-4492-b8e4-cc15398e1d96.jpg

yummy.jpg

Chicken Nuggets