My First Build

What's up! Thanks for stopping by here.

I've never built a computer and really only got into it a few weeks ago. I never done anything building wise so it'd be great if you guys could help me out here!

I want this to be a computer that is great for browsing the web and viewing high quality videos. I want it to be able to edit basic film likely in hitfilm express. I'm not too sure about gaming yet, so I think I'll hold off on a video card, I just really haven't got the time to spent to game regularly. So bascially this thing should be mainly productivity. I think I will try to do a hackintosh with this though so I've sorta based this one off of a similar build on tonymac86. 

It needs to be under $350 give or take some but here are the parts. Will this work?

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 (uses onboard HD 530 Graphics)

RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 2133MHz DDR4

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-H110M-S2H (rev. 1.0)

HDD: Seagate 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch

PSU: EVGA 430 W1, 80+ WHITE 430W

Case: Zalman ATX Mini Tower PC Case T4

Wifi: TP-Link Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter (TL-WDN4800)

Thanks again!

7 minutes ago, 12345 said:

What's up! Thanks for stopping by here.

I've never built a computer and really only got into it a few weeks ago. I never done anything building wise so it'd be great if you guys could help me out here!

I want this to be a computer that is great for browsing the web and viewing high quality videos. I want it to be able to edit basic film likely in hitfilm express. I'm not too sure about gaming yet, so I think I'll hold off on a video card, I just really haven't got the time to spent to game regularly. So bascially this thing should be mainly productivity. I think I will try to do a hackintosh with this though so I've sorta based this one off of a similar build on tonymac86. 

It needs to be under $350 give or take some but here are the parts. Will this work?

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 (uses onboard HD 530 Graphics)

RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 2133MHz DDR4

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-H110M-S2H (rev. 1.0)

HDD: Seagate 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch

PSU: EVGA 430 W1, 80+ WHITE 430W

Case: Zalman ATX Mini Tower PC Case T4

Wifi: TP-Link Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter (TL-WDN4800)

Thanks again!

You should probably get a graphics card for video editing but the HD 530 Graphics should be fine. Maybe get a used card? I'm no expert on this subject but it's just a suggestion.

27 minutes ago, 12345 said:

I want it to be able to edit basic film likely in hitfilm express. 

It needs to be under $350

Oh, you're going to want a lot more CPU horsepower if you want to edit video without frustratingly long render times for everything- even correctional effects like digital stabilization. Also, that's a pretty dangerous power supply. I've included a case that comes with a solid Antec Earthwatts 500 unit.

I would recommend expanding to a budget of $550 and getting something like this. It'll handle just about anything besides gaming. Video editing is more CPU-dependent, and you only really start to benefit from GPU hardware acceleration when you invest in a serious GPU.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($304.99 @ Jet) 
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Team Elite Plus 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($37.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Hitachi 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Antec SONATA III 500 ATX Mid Tower Case w/500W Power Supply  ($40.98 @ PCM) 
Total: $550.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-17 18:04 EST-0500

If you're on a really low budget and can't afford to expand at all, then this is what I recommend-

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($191.91 @ Jet) 
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Avexir Core Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($41.88 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Antec SONATA III 500 ATX Mid Tower Case w/500W Power Supply  ($40.98 @ PCM) 
Total: $366.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-17 18:07 EST-0500

It's a lot more powerful than the build you put together, but it's far behind the first build in my post.

4 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Oh, you're going to want a lot more CPU horsepower if you want to edit video without frustratingly long render times for everything- even correctional effects like digital stabilization. Also, that's a pretty dangerous power supply. I've included a case that comes with a solid Antec Earthwatts 500 unit.

I would recommend expanding to a budget of $550 and getting something like this. It'll handle just about anything besides gaming. Video editing is more CPU-dependent, and you only really start to benefit from GPU hardware acceleration when you invest in a serious GPU.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($304.99 @ Jet) 
Memory: Team Elite Plus 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($37.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $550.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-17 18:04 EST-0500

If you're on a really low budget and can't afford to expand at all, then this is what I recommend-

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($191.91 @ Jet) 
Memory: Avexir Core Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($41.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $366.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-17 18:07 EST-0500

It's a lot more powerful than the build you put together, but it's far behind the first build in my post.

Thanks for commenting man! That's an interesting thought though. I wasn't ever intending to edit very much though so maybe the medicore cpu would work. I'll definitely consider going up to the i5 though.

One question, is the psu bad because it'd be too little power? I though evga was a pretty reputable brand... I didn't think 430w would be too little but then again I'm only judging off of other people's builds. How much power goes to each one of the components though? Like about 100w to cpu right? What about everything else?

27 minutes ago, 12345 said:

Thanks for commenting man! That's an interesting thought though. I wasn't ever intending to edit very much though so maybe the medicore cpu would work. I'll definitely consider going up to the i5 though.

One question, is the psu bad because it'd be too little power? I though evga was a pretty reputable brand... I didn't think 430w would be too little but then again I'm only judging off of other people's builds. How much power goes to each one of the components though? Like about 100w to cpu right? What about everything else?

Of course. I'm here to help.

The i5 build is $366, so it's within $16 of your budget. However, the Core i7 build will give you almost unparalleled video editing performance on the platform (Second only to the Core i7 6700k with a significant overclock). It also has an SSD for reduced Windows boot times and Hitfilm load times (Hitfilm takes a while to load up on my hard drive, so I have a reason to recommend it), and more importantly, it has 16GB of RAM, which will also greatly improve video editing performance. For $550, I think it's an absolute no-brainer for an extremely capable video editing workstation.

No, the power supply is bad because it uses low-grade components that have poor electrical performance and poor thermal tolerance. EVGA's '80 plus' non-bronze certified units usually also have really sloppy soldering and craftsmanship, drastically increasing the risk of a short circuit. 

A power supply failure won't just fry the power supply. There's a good chance that if one goes down hard, it's taking the rest of the PC with it.

With your configuration, even 300 watts is more than enough. I usually recommend a little grey 350w SeaSonic unit for $32, but this case is great and it comes with a great power supply, which is very rare. It's a steal.

I would highly recommend a SSHD (hybrid drive) hard drive if you just can afford one drive, as it will boot windows fast and give you the storage capacity you need.

I think something like a Micro-ATX case and form factor would be better, no need for a huge ATX case for what you need.

also look into refurbished components and sales / open boxes you can get good deals for components that work perfectly fine.

maybe a used GPU or an older gen GPU on sale would be much better than the on-board graphics.