Setup samsung 860 evo m.2 nvme ssd as bootdrive

ElliotGustafsson

I am in the works of getting a new pc. i've decided to go with a asus z170 pro gaming motherboard. It is the storage part of the build were i am not sure of what to do... i've read many posts of people having trouble setting up these kinds of drives as bootdrives as they aren't recognized by windows installer. Should i go with de 960 nvme och go the safer route and buying a regular 850 evo 2,5 inch. They are the same price for the 250gb versions of the two drives here in sweden so that is why i am asking.

If you are using Windows 10 you should be good to go (if I remember right) but otherwise you must go to Samsung's website and download the proper M.2 drivers and put them on a flash drive, then when you get to Select your hard drive click install device drivers and select the M.2 driver, it's not too bad

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Link us to the site. Its either the NVME drive on a huge discount or the 850 Evo seriously overpriced.

https://www.komplett.se/product/903115/datorutrustning/haarddisk/ssd-m2/samsung-960-evo-250gb-m2-pcie-ssd

https://www.komplett.se/product/828769/datorutrustning/haarddisk/ssd-25/samsung-850-evo-250gb-ssd

14 hours ago, ElliotGustafsson said:

I am in the works of getting a new pc. i've decided to go with a asus z170 pro gaming motherboard. It is the storage part of the build were i am not sure of what to do... i've read many posts of people having trouble setting up these kinds of drives as bootdrives as they aren't recognized by windows installer. Should i go with de 960 nvme och go the safer route and buying a regular 850 evo 2,5 inch. They are the same price for the 250gb versions of the two drives here in sweden so that is why i am asking.

If your mother board bios is up to date you should have no problems detecting and using the windows installer from a windows media source.

It will detect it in the drives list. just make sure the bios is up to date

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor