i7 6800k vs i7 6700k

I want to build a PC both for gaming and productivity (3D modeling, rendering, design apps, etc), and I'm between these to CPU's, Broadwell i7-6800k and Skylake i7-6700k, the motherboard is an Asus X99-A II, and the GPU is an EVGA 1070, however, I'm not sure which of those CPU is the best option as the broadwell has more cores and cache, but the skylake works at a faster speed.

2 minutes ago, AwkwardSLCE said:

I want to build a PC both for gaming and productivity (3D modeling, rendering, design apps, etc), and I'm between these to CPU's, Broadwell i7-6800k and Skylake i7-6700k, the motherboard is an Asus X99-A II, and the GPU is an EVGA 1070, however, I'm not sure which of those CPU is the best option as the broadwell has more cores and cache, but the skylake works at a faster speed.

It depends how much of the rendering and that is CPU exclusive. 

4 minutes ago, AwkwardSLCE said:

Well, I assume you know the motherboard will only work for the 6800k, as the skylake will need a z170 board. Moving on,

Go with the broadwell if you can afford it (assuming at least some workloads will benefit). Yes, the skylake is theoretically faster for most games, but I have yet to see a title that will be bottlenecked by a 6800k. So if it will provide you with a benefit in your other workloads, may as well go for it.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

1) How heavy a workload do you put your system under?

2) How much of the content creation work that you do is CPU intensive and on software that is able to exploit the extra two cores?

3) How much other stuff do you tend to do while the rendering is ongoing?

4) Are you planning to overclock, and if so how intensively?

Honestly though, if you can afford to then I would wait the month for Kabylake to drop and then revisit the question.

Just now, Paradine Sage said:

1) How heavy a workload do you put your system under?

2) How much of the content creation work that you do is CPU intensive and on software that is able to exploit the extra two cores?

3) How much other stuff do you tend to do while the rendering is ongoing?

4) Are you planning to overclock, and if so how intensively?

Honestly though, if you can afford to then I would wait the month for Kabylake to drop and then revisit the question.

Piling on to part 4, RyZen looks to be quite competitive with Broadwell-E as well, and has been confirmed by AMD for release in Q1 2017 (which starts in a few weeks)

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

15 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

Piling on to part 4, RyZen looks to be quite competitive with Broadwell-E as well, and has been confirmed by AMD for release in Q1 2017 (which starts in a few weeks)

I agree w/ tarfeef101, id wait for AMD Zen CPU, because it is on par with the 6800k and will probly be alot cheaper, however if you have decided to go for intel cpu, id go with 6800k. because it is way better for productivity and can handle games.

44 minutes ago, AwkwardSLCE said:

You're asking for a recommendation between two entirely different platforms.  The Z170 platform is for the mainstream market.  The X99 platform is for the Enthusiast market.  You're asking for a professional computer, meaning you should be on a professional platform.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Wait and see how much Ryzen will cost. It should perform better than both and will hopefully be close to the same price.