What type of OS should I buy?

MYX

hello everyone! for the new year im building my second PC, just wondering if I should buy a copy of windows 10 from a place like newegg, or buy a key from kinguin for only 20$

Thanks

Buying it from a legitimate seller is your best bet, if you have $120 or whatever it costs. Kinguin is a grey market and most of the keys are OEM or business keys. Sometimes they may get revoked, but  if you only spend $20 then just buy another later.

Ultimately your call.

When in doubt, re-format.

Running Windows unactivated doesn't do anything except put a small watermark in the corner of your display. I run unactivated copies of Windows Server.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

OEM keys are new, never issued keys.

Kinguin keys may have been issued to OEM computers that underwent a custom corporate imaging to say Win 7 and some custom software and were never activated (or maybe they where... you don't know). Kinguin gets their hands on the keys somehow and issues them willy nilly.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

PaulsHardware has mentioned several times he has not had problems with Kinguin 

I wouldnt mind going with kinguin on my personal pc, its just $20 

worst case scenario it doesnt work.... people throw $20 away on worse things

Photography / Finance / Gaming

I'd try Kinguin first, worst case it's just $20. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Depending on what you want to use the PC for, you might not need to buy an OS at all. You could run a Linux distro.

kinquin has Windows 10 for like 25 and a few bucks more for buyers protection if the key doesn't work, the difference is it's am OEM key so it only works on 1 computer and doesn't get the tech support other copies get, remember Kinquin is like the Ebay of software keys, you aren't buying from them, you are buying from a seller that sells through them, go with a top rated seller and you probably won't have an issue.

also running unactivated does more then "just places a watermark" many settings (including the ability to create additional user accounts on the PC) get locked out.