Synaptics Announces Industry-First Optical-based Fingerprint Sensors for Smartphones

Press Release from Synaptics: http://www.synaptics.com/company/news/fs9100-optical-fingerprint-sensor

Natural ID FS9100 optical fingerprint sensors are designed for placement under the cover glass, including 2.5D glass, located in the front, bottom bezel of devices.  Under cover glass biometrics eliminates button cut-outs and glass thinning processes required by capacitive under-glass sensors, leading to glass yield improvements. The highly reliable FS9100 optical solution excels with wet finger performance, and being protected by glass, is durable, scratchproof, waterproof, and eliminates ESD concerns.

Unlike optical fingerprint sensors used for access control and public biometric identity verification, the advanced FS9100 sensor leverages unique Synaptics optical technology developed for mobile devices and breaks through key technical barriers with an extremely thin form factor and minimal power consumption.

FS9100 optical fingerprint sensors feature Synaptics’ SentryPoint technology, offering OEMs a wide-range of unique and highly secure authentication features including Quantum Matcher with PurePrintanti-spoof technology. PurePrint examines fingerprint images using unique artificial intelligence technology to distinguish between fake and actual fingers.

Could this be the rumored fingerprint scanner for the Galaxy S8 that is said to be near bezel-less? Fingerprint scanners are very convenient but unlike passwords, it can be spoofed and copied as demonstrated by the iPhone 5s Touch ID bypass. I hope it's secure as Windows Hello. Even identical twins can fool Windows Hello.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

If I were to cut someone's finger will it still gets recognized or will I be arrested?

So what's the advantage between this and what we currently have for TouchID?

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

"Even identical twins can fool Windows Hello."

I think you meant to say "can't "? I watched the whole video and the twins couldn't beat it :/

Just now, AnonymousGuy said:

The highly reliable FS9100 optical solution excels with wet finger performance, and being protected by glass, is durable, scratchproof, waterproof, and eliminates ESD concerns.

ToucId (back when I had iPhone 5s) has no water resistance at all

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

If I were to cut someone's finger will it still gets recognized or will I be arrested?

Both. 

Breaking News. Synaptics purchased by Apple. iPhone 7+ confirmed optical fingerprint sensor. 

Just now, Belgarathian said:

Both. 

Breaking News. Synaptics purchased by Apple. iPhone 7+ confirmed optical fingerprint sensor. 

iphone 7+ we removed the lightning port so you can have better fingerprint sensor

2 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Pretty sure TouchID is capacitive , not optical. I might be wrong. 

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

iphone 7+ we removed the lightning port so you can have better fingerprint sensor

If it gets wireless charging I wouldn't even be surprised. Wireless charging, wireless AC sync, Bluetooth headphones only. 

I don't think it would even effect how I use the iPhone if they removed the lightning port and added wireless charging....

Pretty sure TouchID is capacitive , not optical. I might be wrong. 

Yes what I'm asking was the advantage of optical over capacitive.  Wet finger performance is the only one I can think of but it's such a rare occurrence that my fingers are wet (except when I'm fingering your mom :D) that it's kinda like "eh not really that significant of a breakthrough".

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

If it gets wireless charging I wouldn't even be surprised. Wireless charging, wireless AC sync, Bluetooth headphones only. 

I don't think it would even effect how I use the iPhone if they removed the lightning port and added wireless charging....

Even for only 1999.99 more?

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Yes what I'm asking was the advantage of optical over capacitive.  Wet finger performance is the only one I can think of but it's such a rare occurrence that my fingers are wet (except when I'm fingering your mom :D) that it's kinda like "eh not really that significant of a breakthrough".

Now you can finger your mom and unlock your phone......

2 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Synaptics isn't disclosing everything just yet but I hope it's better than what Apple is doing. Touch ID basically is a camera. Upon placing a finger to the Touch ID sensor, it takes a high resolution photograph of the fingerprint (around 300 dpi I think) and encrypts that information to the Secure Enclave inside the A7 chip and above. It can be spoofed very easily with Elmer's glue unfortunately since all Touch ID needs is an exact match of the fingerprint. Synaptics is claiming that their technology can differentiate real fingers and fake fingerprints.

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

For Apple, that would be not needing to have a Touch ID button. So you could have the optical touch sensor in the middle of the screen. 

7 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Both

13 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Both. 

can you guys recommend me a good knife that is under $50 /s

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

can you guys recommend me a good knife that is under $50 /s

This butter knife works well 

Tableware-Butter-Spreading-Knife-Steak-K

5 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

This butter knife works well 

-snip-

Day 254, only half way done

29 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

They look sexy imo

2 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

Both. 

Not again. If they were to acquire Synaptics, they'll probably call it "Magic ID".

2 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Day 254, only half way done

They look sexy imo

That would be bad if Windows Hello would only log you in if you're cute or not. 

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

That would be bad if Windows Hello would only log you in if you're cute or not. 

Image result for linus sebastian ugly

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Image result for linus sebastian ugly

I'm sure Windows Hello would log in this one automatically.

luke_lafr.PNG

?????