Need to replace mechanical drives, some advice.

Bion1985

So I have two Seagate Barracuda 2TB drives that are failing. I need to keep about the same amount of storage (4TB or more) for my gaming pc. Anyone have some suggestions on some good drives? Heard WD Blacks are good, and I'm also seeing Seagate Firecuda drives. Anyone got aNY advice. Can be 1 real large drive or two mid sI've ones.

4TB WD Black should do the job, it's  fast (as far as mechanical drives go)  and reliable.

WD black is fine for general/gaming use

if you are looking for something to store your movies/photos/music long term and it doesnt have to be as fast as a WD Black i'd suggest going for a WD Red they are meant to run 24/7 for a very long time 

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

WD Blacks are good for pure performance, but they're really loud and run hot (usually 45-50C if left alone). Firecudas are the SSHD lineup, I think, so it might eke out more performance if you play a game a lot.

If you're wanting to shave some money, WD Reds or other NAS variants work just as well too.

I hear people arguing between Seagate, WD, and HGST being good manufacturers for hard drives. I personally use 2 x 3TB WD Red drives in RAID0 for local storage and a 9TB RAID5 in my server using the same drives for redundancy. I've never had one fail but I've heard other people complain about WD drives failing. It's up to you. 

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

but I've heard other people complain about WD drives failing.

Seriously? i heard people mostly complain about Seagate a few years back. Currently I dont hear anything about bad drives unless it is some xyz brand

Maingear Systems seems to swear by WD Re drives saying they have the lowest failure rate in their experience and they use them in all their systems

i generally trust their claim since Re drives are supposedly meant for enterprise/business environments

WD Black is also rock solid from my own experience. i had a WD Black 500gb last me 7years before it failed (these were the first gen wd black drives)
My 1TB WD Black has been rock solid for more than 3 years now

Photography / Finance / Gaming

So using WD reds as game storage is fine? I know they are server/NAS usage but they can be used as regular system drives? What's the speed on them? I think I need at least 7200rpm.

i think REDs run at 5400rpm so WD Black is the way to go.