Laptop temps at ~90 celsius degrees when idle.

Underi

So I got my laptop fixed, now I've got another problem. The temps are constantly ~90 degrees. It isn't exactly worrying me (even when it should) because it seems to be working fine. ATM when I'm writing with steam, qbittorrent and chrome open, it's at 88 degrees. If I start playing for example Counter-Strike : Source, the temps go to 95-100. I have checked the CPU fan and it is spinning. The laptop IS getting air. I noticed that the backplate was very dusty so I cleaned it off. I don't have any compressed air cans so I couldn't clean the fan. The laptop is Asus K50AF.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

If you're at boiling temps and not concerned, you need to rethink things a bit... Performance should throttle by default after ~83°C so something is very off.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

3 minutes ago, Natsoup said:

If you're at boiling temps and not concerned, you need to rethink things a bit... Performance should throttle by default after ~83°C so something is very off.

Intel cause throttle at around do 100

You probably have the heatsink mounted wrong. 

Portable water boiler anyone?

But seriously, take it apart and repaste the CPU then clean the heatsink. Should take some temps down. 

idk

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Portable water boiler anyone?

But seriously, take it apart and repaste the CPU then clean the heatsink. Should take some temps down. 

And check the screws and make sure there is decent mounting pressure. 

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Intel cause throttle at around do 100

No you are way off. A intel CPU throttles at 85c, it will try and shut down at 100c

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

You will have to open it or get it open and look for symptoms. You might have to dismount the thermal assembly too.

9 hours ago, Dackzy said:

No you are way off. A intel CPU throttles at 85c, it will try and shut down at 100c

Probably depends on laptop. My books all throttle at 100c

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

not unless that laptop brand has done something to remove it. Granted that the throttling temp has been going down. I think it was 90c back in second gen, but skylake is 85c.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

42 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

No. 100c is shutdown temp. Unless you're running a custom fully unlocked bios there is no way to achieve this. Or the laptop manufacturer shipped it like that, in which case fuck those guys, they have no idea wtf they are doing. What we're all forgetting here is that yes, while the CPU is rated to "survive" at 100C for brief moments at a time, NOTHING ELSE surrounding the laptop is. The screen is not, the battery is not, if the chassis is poorly built it's not. Laptop temps matter alot more than desktop because heat damage due to high temps is a very real thing *cough* Razer *cough*. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

39 minutes ago, Pendragon said:

No. 100c is shutdown temp. Unless you're running a custom fully unlocked bios there is no way to achieve this. Or the laptop manufacturer shipped it like that, in which case fuck those guys, they have no idea wtf they are doing. What we're all forgetting here is that yes, while the CPU is rated to "survive" at 100C for brief moments at a time, NOTHING ELSE surrounding the laptop is. The screen is not, the battery is not, if the chassis is poorly built it's not. Laptop temps matter alot more than desktop because heat damage due to high temps is a very real thing *cough* Razer *cough*. 

This 100 c temp was true for most Macbook that I've used. But most macs seem to run really hot. I have had Macbook run at max cpu lot at 100c for weeks and there still running 5 years later. 

Well, since OP isn't worried about the high temperature, it can be consider a 3-in-1. Laptop, heater and a stove.