HD 598 vs AD900x vs DT990 Pro

OneSaltyDog

I am asking for a pair of headphones for christmas and I have limited it down to the sennheiser HD 598 (I have tried my friends and they are very comfortable

and sound nice, but they have almost no bass, and I enjoy bass for immersion), the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro (250ohm or 32 ohm?), and the Audio

Technica AD900x. I will be using these for mainly CSGO competitive, Battlefield 1, Fallout, and other RPGs, so I need a good soundstage for

CSGO, but I would also like a fun headphone for immersion in other games. For music, I listen to mostly Hip Hop and Rap, so I would like headphones that

excel in that genre also. Which of these 3 headphones, or others, would be the best

balance of those for around $150? Also what DAC or Amp would you recommend for these? 

Thank You for any help.

5 minutes ago, OneSaltyDog said:

I am asking for a pair of headphones for christmas and I have limited it down to the sennheiser HD 598 (I have tried my friends and they are very comfortable

and sound nice, but they have almost no bass, and I enjoy bass for immersion), the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro (250ohm or 32 ohm?), and the Audio

Technica AD900x. I will be using these for mainly CSGO competitive, Battlefield 1, Fallout, and other RPGs, so I need a good soundstage for

CSGO, but I would also like a fun headphone for immersion in other games. For music, I listen to mostly Hip Hop and Rap, so I would like headphones that

excel in that genre also. Which of these 3 headphones, or others, would be the best

balance of those for around $150? Also what DAC or Amp would you recommend for these? 

Thank You for any help.

DT 990's are the most comfortable IMO and probably have the cleanest sound as far as hearing all the details, atleast compared to headphones in that price range. 

dt990 have the omst bass of them all. dt990 gets my vote, and you probably wont need a dac/amp.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The Sennheiser HD 598s have an extremely balanced sound signature. Most headphones are 'colored', in that they have overamplified bass or treble, which users can often get used to. 

A neutral sound signature is difficult to get used to immediately, but you'll be hearing things the way they were intended to be heard.

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

ATH AD900X hands down for positional audio. Otherwise HD 598 for the most accurate sound signature and soundstage.

The DT990 is dead last with colored sound signature, in particular way, way too much treble.

Thanks for the help, I decided to go with the AD900x. As for a better audio source, I have a Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 3 Motherboard. Would these benefit at all from a soundcard, amp, or dac, or is my motherboard fine? Thanks again

1 hour ago, OneSaltyDog said:

Thanks for the help, I decided to go with the AD900x. As for a better audio source, I have a Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 3 Motherboard. Would these benefit at all from a soundcard, amp, or dac, or is my motherboard fine? Thanks again

Try it with your mobo first, and IF it gets loud enough and SQ is good enough for you, then don't bother with anything else. 

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

12 hours ago, OneSaltyDog said:

If this is one of the newer Gigabyte models with Creative onboard audio, you will be distressed to learn that it has significant bass roll-off. I would invest at minimum in that case in a Asus Xonar DGX soundcard.

4 hours ago, SSL said:

If this is one of the newer Gigabyte models with Creative onboard audio, you will be distressed to learn that it has significant bass roll-off. I would invest at minimum in that case in a Asus Xonar DGX soundcard.

oh my god, Creative onboard. Doesn't that garbage have like 35 ohms Output Z?  Or maybe I'm confusing that with the equally awful soundcards they make.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

1 hour ago, Pomfinator said:

oh my god, Creative onboard. Doesn't that garbage have like 35 ohms Output Z?  Or maybe I'm confusing that with the equally awful soundcards they make.

Probably that as well.

The Gaming 3 has the ALC1150 DAC chip and an OPA2134 or OP1652 amp, without any Creative crap. So the motherboard will be fine.

EDIT: The OP1652 is found in the UD series only.

I don't like using the HD 598 while listening to hip hop/rap. I find the trebling to be too fatiguing, and the lack of bass just ruins it for me. On the other hand, it's great for competitive fps games. The positioning and sound stage are amazing. Out of the three headphones you've listed, the DT990 would be the best.

You have many other headphones to choose from. What other headphones have you considered?

1 hour ago, NewKID said:

I don't like using the HD 598 while listening to hip hop/rap. I find the trebling to be too fatiguing, and the lack of bass just ruins it for me. On the other hand, it's great for competitive fps games. The positioning and sound stage are amazing. Out of the three headphones you've listed, the DT990 would be the best.

You have many other headphones to choose from. What other headphones have you considered?

You do know that the DT990 has way more treble than the HD 598, right? People normally find the treble on the DT990 to be a bit too harsh, while they don't do that with the HD 598.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

24 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

You do know that the DT990 has way more treble than the HD 598, right? People normally find the treble on the DT990 to be a bit too harsh, while they don't do that with the HD 598.

That may be true. The HD 598 has barely any bass. It'd be easier to use EQ to turn down the treble on the DT990 than turn up the almost non-existing bass on the HD 598

19 minutes ago, NewKID said:

That may be true. The HD 598 has barely any bass. It'd be easier to use EQ to turn down the treble on the DT990 than turn up the almost non-existing bass on the HD 598

I would not say that the HD 598 has barely any bass, heck I think they plenty of bass (a bit too much for me sometimes), I would rather use headphones with less bass. Yes I am more a fan of the sound that "neutral" headphones have (k612, HD600)

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.