Parting out vs selling a computer as a unit.

KWelz

I am getting ready to sell a lot of extra parts and one of my secondary computers.   The extra parts are easy.  But I am trying to decide if I should sell the system as one unit or if I should part it out as well...  

If you were looking to buy which would you prefer?  What have you found the easiest when selling?  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

It would be easier and faster to sell the entire computer whole, you will usually get less money for it though.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

You would make money if you sold the parts individually, what are the specs?

7 minutes ago, chris76816 said:

You would make money if you sold the parts individually, what are the specs?

Z170 Deluxe

Noctua DH15S cooler

EVGA 980Ti SC+

16Gb Crucial Memory

256GB SSD

EVGA 550G2 PSU

Corsair 600C case.   

I already have to sell a 6600K in with the same board and memory as listed above along with another 980TI and a 970 and about 50 other odds and end parts.   So it is a bit of a pain to be honest.   :(

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

I usually part out old systems I want to sell, opens up the amount of people who are willing to buy the parts since shipping becomes reasonable. Older more obsolete things like all pii's etc I usually do as a cpu/mobo/ram combo for cheap since the parts together are usually worthless (that that's got nothing to do with thisxD)

Part out, if you dont have a spare psu keep the psu and case. they always seem to come in handy

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

A big reason why you'd be better off selling the parts individually is this - The resale value of the brand (Assuming you still have the packaging)

Someone will not be as willing to pay a higher price for your custom build as it has no reputable brand. HOWEVER. The parts do. Because of this if you sell each part individually the trust is placed in the part with it's reputable brand rather than the randomer who built the computer (Not saying you didn't build it well but it's all about brands)

This is also why Apple computers retain their value better than Windows PCs because the brand is seen as stronger.

Basically if you sell each individual part the resell value will be retained more than if you sold the PC as a single unit. Coolers and cases retain value incredibly well whereas CPUs and GPUs don't. RAM is middle of the road in resell value. I would definitely rather buy parts individually than buy the build as a unit.

I had an account called Joegeddon active since April 20th 2015

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | XFX RADEON RX580 8GB XXX | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Thermaltake Versa H22 | Corsair RM550x PSU | MSI AM4 B450M-A PRO Motherboard

1TB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB M.2 WD BLUE SSD

Laptop - Asus UX303UA

Intel i7 6500U | Intel 530 Graphics | 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 256GB SATA 3 SSD

Thanks everyone.  Sounds like parting it out is the smart move...    Guess I am back to taking Photos of all this crap...  :D

Just now, KWelz said:

Thanks everyone.  Sounds like parting it out is the smart move...    Guess I am back to taking Photos of all this crap...  :D

Also. Bundle the parts together if you want them sold fast and don't bundle the parts if you want to maximise your return.

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | XFX RADEON RX580 8GB XXX | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Thermaltake Versa H22 | Corsair RM550x PSU | MSI AM4 B450M-A PRO Motherboard

Laptop - Asus UX303UA

Just now, Joe_MacDougall said:

Also. Bundle the parts together if you want them sold fast and don't bundle the parts if you want to maximise your return.

I am going to bundle to an extent.   CPU/Mobo/Memory will be sold as a unit.  The rest I will either hold onto or sell off piecemeal.  

Now I just have to get all this stuff orginised, set up a heatware account and make one hell of a FS post . LOL

Just now, KWelz said:

I am going to bundle to an extent.   CPU/Mobo/Memory will be sold as a unit.  The rest I will either hold onto or sell off piecemeal.  

Now I just have to get all this stuff orginised, set up a heatware account and make one hell of a FS post . LOL

Enjoy. Haha. The extra time spent will get you more money. :P

Desktop

Laptop - Asus UX303UA