Is it worth the upgrade???

=_ZeRo_=

Hi all,

Getting the upgrade itch a little bit at the moment. I'm thinking of upgrading the CPU and motherboard in my current rig and moving them to my ageing second rig.

Also I will be upgrading my gpu from current 980 to a 1080TI when released. Current specs are:

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD8GX3M2B2133C9 8GB DDR3

GPU: 980

I am thinking of switching to Intel socket 2011-3 and putting the 980 in there till 1080ti drops.

Current monitor I'm running is 2560 x 1440 I don't plan on going any bigger as I'm happy with it but might look and going triple monitor down the track.

So is it worth the $$$ or is it a waste and just get a 1080ti when released and put it in the current rig.

Any thoughts would be great! :)

The 4790K still has life in it, I'd stick with it.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

15 minutes ago, =_ZeRo_= said:

Hi all,

Getting the upgrade itch a little bit at the moment. I'm thinking of upgrading the CPU and motherboard in my current rig and moving them to my ageing second rig.

Also I will be upgrading my gpu from current 980 to a 1080TI when released. Current specs are:

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD8GX3M2B2133C9 8GB DDR3

GPU: 980

I am thinking of switching to Intel socket 2011-3 and putting the 980 in there till 1080ti drops.

Current monitor I'm running is 2560 x 1440 I don't plan on going any bigger as I'm happy with it but might look and going triple monitor down the track.

So is it worth the $$$ or is it a waste and just get a 1080ti when released and put it in the current rig.

Any thoughts would be great! :)

Sure, you could get a newer cpu, but the 4790k will likely give you around the same frame rate as a newer cpu when paired with even the newest gpus. I guess if you need more cpu horsepower for whatever non-gaming reason or if you wan't to try to add some "future proofing" it makes sense. As far as the 1080ti, I generally advise people to buy realesed hardware (ie: 1080) rather than wait for unreleased hardware to hit the market.

Thanks for the replies :)

Seems it will be better sticking it out for a while then :)