240mm Radiator vs 420

I'm thinking about upgrading from a H100i v2 ( 240mm with duel 120's ) to a custom loop with a EX420 radiator ( 420mm with triple 140's ) and I was wondering if the temp improvements would be worth it, or if it would just be 3-4 degrees.

Cooling a 5820k overclocked to 4.33ghz ( idles 40, under load 60-65 ) Still respectable but ya know.

Plus my case can fit a larger radiator and has a see-through mesh on the top ( NZXT Phantom ) and I can see it can fit it...which is annoying me due to this giant hole.

Just now, JamesHewitt said:

I'm thinking about upgrading from a H100i v2 ( 240mm with duel 120's ) to a custom loop with a EX420 radiator ( 420mm with triple 140's ) and I was wondering if the temp improvements would be worth it, or if it would just be 3-4 degrees.

Cooling a 5820k overclocked to 4.33ghz ( idles 40, under load 60-65 ) Still respectable but ya know.

Plus my case can fit a larger radiator and has a see-through mesh on the top ( NZXT Phantom ) and I can see it can fit it...which is annoying me due to this giant hole.

Temps would be better and so would be aesthetics 

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

Temps would be better and so would be aesthetics 

I know it would be better, wondering more if you could estimate how much roughly. 

If it's only a small amount, it's basically aesthetics.

1 minute ago, JamesHewitt said:

I know it would be better, wondering more if you could estimate how much roughly. 

If it's only a small amount, it's basically aesthetics.

You don't need it neccarily temps will improve but unless your also cooling Gpu No

My life

2 minutes ago, JamesHewitt said:

Welcome to the Forums!

Having a larger rad would provide better cooling and give dead silent performance while at load however your temp difference wouldn't be crazy large, Also at that point if you were to go with a full custom loop it wouldn't be a bad idea to add in your GPU to lower the overall noise of the system while giving it great cooling. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Welcome to the Forums!

Having a larger rad would provide better cooling and give dead silent performance while at load however your temp difference wouldn't be crazy large, Also at that point if you were to go with a full custom loop it wouldn't be a bad idea to add in your GPU to lower the overall noise of the system while giving it great cooling. 

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

You don't need it neccarily temps will improve but unless your also cooling Gpu No

So basically a couple of degrees but noticeable sound reduction from fans, which would be quite useful.

I've already got a GTX 980TI Hybrid, so no real need to add it to a loop. Overclocked by GPU+100 and Mem+400, only hits around 45-50c under load.

I was planning to upgrade to a 1080ti when it's released and adding it to a loop would be better and cheaper than waiting for a hybrid, but never done a loop before so i obviously fear leaks. 

Thanks for the welcome as well :)

1 minute ago, JamesHewitt said:

So basically a couple of degrees but noticeable sound reduction from fans, which would be quite useful.

I've already got a GTX 980TI Hybrid, so no real need to add it to a loop. Overclocked by GPU+100 and Mem+400, only hits around 45-50c under load.

I was planning to upgrade to a 1080ti when it's released and adding it to a loop would be better and cheaper than waiting for a hybrid, but never done a loop before so i obviously fear leaks. 

Thanks for the welcome as well :)

You can do it and in the future when you get a 1080ti you can easily add that to the loop no problem

My life

10 minutes ago, JamesHewitt said:

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

Welcome to the Forums!

^This last year I switched from and h100i to a custom loop, and while I didn't really see any temp change on my CPU (at least at the speed I run my fans at)  the system is nearly silent, especially my gpu which went from jet engine loud while overclocked at its max OC to silent while 20-30 degree difference.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

Like pretty much everyone here has said, there would be minimal temp differences. If you do a good job with the loop, aesthetics and cost will be much higher. There will be decent noise improvements with all that rad space. You definitely should only do this if you're going to add a GPU though, so only do it if you are positive you will add it. As for leaks, all I can say is I haven't had any, and on my most recent build I used hardline tubing and compression fittings WITHOUT collars. So if that doesn't leak, pretty much nothing will as long as you do it right. And I have faith that you will.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

11 minutes ago, Himommies said:

You can do it and in the future when you get a 1080ti you can easily add that to the loop no problem

9 minutes ago, Ryoku said:

^This last year I switched from and h100i to a custom loop, and while I didn't really see any temp change on my CPU (at least at the speed I run my fans at)  the system is nearly silent, especially my gpu which went from jet engine loud while overclocked at its max OC to silent while 20-30 degree difference.

4 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

Like pretty much everyone here has said, there would be minimal temp differences. If you do a good job with the loop, aesthetics and cost will be much higher. There will be decent noise improvements with all that rad space. You definitely should only do this if you're going to add a GPU though, so only do it if you are positive you will add it. As for leaks, all I can say is I haven't had any, and on my most recent build I used hardline tubing and compression fittings WITHOUT collars. So if that doesn't leak, pretty much nothing will as long as you do it right. And I have faith that you will.

Thank you all for your input. I probably will upgrade to a loop then at some stage after the 1080TI is released. Probably best I look into loops and chances of leaking in the meantime :)

2 minutes ago, JamesHewitt said:

Thank you all for your input. I probably will upgrade to a loop then at some stage after the 1080TI is released. Probably best I look into loops and chances of leaking in the meantime :)

Like tarfeef101 said leaks are unlikely if you do it right but they are possible, even if you do buy the best fittings and whatnot it's still possible you could get a dud but these are the risks we run to have the coolest computers around =P ... This was my first custom water cooling build and I did hardline and haven't had a leak so its not very difficult to do. 

That being said if I had to redo it again I would have went with soft tubing as I don't really care about whether the runs look super clean and straight I don't use lights and stuff to light up the inside of my case (I think that stuff is tacky) you can't even see through the tinted glass.  So It would have been a lot easier to just have done soft tubing and It would have taken me like a day to complete the loop rather then a few days to get all the hardline runs perfect.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump