Ubisoft UPlay Passport(Online Pass) Required to Unlock Single Player Content in ACIV

EChondo

*UPDATE*
Ubisoft has heard the outcry and they are removing the UPlay Passport for ALL games, even ACIV.

Link: http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-and-uplay-passport/

Great Ubisoft! Now I can buy The Division :D

ORIGINAL POST:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/10/29/online-pass-required-for-some-assassin-s-creed-iv-single_2d00_player-content.aspx

They may not like it, but gamers are at least familiar with the idea of an online pass gating off multiplayer content. However, in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, a noteworthy element of the single-player campaign is unavailable without the Ubisoft's Uplay Passport.

When protagonist Edward Kenway boards a ship, he has the option to add the ship to his fleet. This fleet functions similarly to your assassin recruits in previous titles; you can send them on missions, and after a varying number of real-time minutes, the ships return with money and spoils. However, we've confirmed that your access to this whole loop is gated by the Uplay Passport. In other words, if you borrow the game from a friend who has already redeemed the code (or buy the game used), you don't get the fleet and the benefits that come with it in your single-player game.

Note that the Uplay Passport is different from simply being a registered Uplay user. Being a part of Uplay is free, but the Passport is a game-specific code included with new copies. According to Ubisoft's site, the Uplay Passport "will come with a unique code that, when redeemed, grants you access to online multiplayer play, bonus content, and more. In instances where your game’s Uplay Passport has already been redeemed (such as if you’ve bought a used copy of a game) you will be able to purchase a new Uplay Passport code online."

On one hand, the fleet does include online elements. You are able to have your friends assist you to make missions go faster, for instance. On the other hand, there's nothing about it that demands this assistance; once you can use your fleet, you can do the missions solo. Previous installments in the series, like Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, included similar offline versions of this mechanic.

We've reached out to Ubisoft for comment, and will update this story if/when we hear back.

I am utterly disgusted that this is still a thing. I know PC gamers don't have to deal with this, but this is outright greed.

Right now, I'm no longer buying any Ubisoft games, and yes, that includes WatchDogs.

I was so excited for AC4 but now I will likely not buy AC4 because of this.

I have trouble giving away the ubisoft games that come with video cards because noone wants to install uplay.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

What is the reasoning behind this? Stopping pirates? I haven't checked but unless the feature that the UPlay passport takes out 'needs' a server to run then I would be certain that you could go to TPB and download a pirated version of AC4 and have a better experience.

Ubisoft has fucked up.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

What is the reasoning behind this? Stopping pirates? I haven't checked but unless the feature that the UPlay passport takes out 'needs' a server to run then I would be certain that you could go to TPB and download a pirated version of AC4 and have a better experience.

Ubisoft has fucked up.

It's a console only thing, since you can't buy used Ubisoft games on the PC. The entire purpose is to screw over the used game market and places like GameStop/EB Games.

It's a console only thing, since you can't buy used Ubisoft games on the PC. The entire purpose is to screw over the used game market and places like GameStop/EB Games.

I didn't realise it was a console only thing. But still even EA stopped doing this sort of thing a little while ago. Surely it wouldn't be helping their sales it, if anything it is just bad PR.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

I didn't realise it was a console only thing. But still even EA stopped doing this sort of thing a little while ago. Surely it wouldn't be helping their sales it, if anything it is just bad PR.

Ubisoft is a bit slow at times with this stuff. Eventually they will get rid of it, it just might take a few big releases.

Ubisoft just gave EA some new ideas to make money...

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

This is plain stupid since a crack will bypass this... It only makes life worse for those who buy the game.

Its like EA and Ubisoft are trying to compete with each over for worst company of the year award 2014. 

I want the division so bad, but ubisoft why must you do this?

My reaction xD

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Ubisoft has fucked up.

actually the main point of the online pass is to try and profit user that buy used disc on retailers since they get zero money from used sales, that why, pirates can give a fuck about and cracked console games are to far to be a problem that publishers should even care

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Should prob be known, Ubisoft heard the outcry, They've eliminated the need for passports across all their games as of today starting with AC blackflag

http://blog.ubi.com/assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-and-uplay-passport/

I just read this, and came here to update my thread, I just saw your post xD

Thanks for the update though!