Video Editing Software Suggestions (Free or inexpensive?)

I am currently using Microsoft Movie Maker and I am starting to wish I had a few more options.

What is the defacto free editor that isn't Microsoft Movie Maker?

I honestly wouldn't mind paying some for decent editing software, but Sony Vegas is too much money. I used to use Corel Video Studio Pro (Which is about 50 bucks) but one day it inexplicably just stopped working and I could never get it to open again.

What do you all use to edit videos? Thanks

Not sure what you consider inexpensive but Sony Movie Studio is a very capable editor with lots of the same effects found on vegas pro for under 100 USD:

http://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-movie-studio-product-comparison/

I have used Vegas, and absolutely love it, but even I couldn't afford it. Even if I could, I'm thinking of just moving to an Adobe Premiere Pro license. In Canada it's $20 CAD monthly and seems like a much safer bet than splurging all that cash at once into Vegas. 

Davinci Resolve is great!

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking