Can i do 4k gaming on Xeon 2680 v4???

Go to solution Solved by scottyseng,
3 hours ago, hareshparmar_arch said:

i tend to use 1080 sli ...or waiting on 1080 Ti ...my only concern is CPU ...i m an architect ...i m betting heavy money on this build...its gonna be my only built atleast for next few years...so i desperately need to get it RIght somehow....

I would say go for the 6950X. The xeon downclocks when most cores are loaded, so it's probably realistically closer to 2.2-2.6GHz (Only turboing to 3.3Ghz if 1-4 cores are loaded). I have a Xeon E5-2695V3, 14 core 28 thread at 2.2GHz in my home NAS, and for games that use single cores, it's quite bad. It chokes really hard when it comes to heavy gaming because the game would only use one core at 2.2GHz. However, it eats my 2500K alive at rendering, even beating out my coustin's 5820K overclocked (4.4GHz...could go more, but the AIO cooler could not handle the heat). But the 2500K (OC to 4.6GHz in my PC) is a much better CPU to game on.

Revit relies more on CPU power. GPU is mostly for shading / preview.

Also, make sure you have a really good CPU cooler.

i am building a workstation for fastest renderings  possible (revit,sketchup,3dsmax,lumion)...but i also want 4k gaming as smooth as possible..

i7 6950x or xeon 2680 v4???

Do you need 14 cores and 28 threads? Also the single core performance on the i7 is better. Depends on what you're doing.

I would go with the i7 6950X because that would definitely be better for the gaming side of things. However when it comes to gaming the i7 6700K is the best in benchmarks because of the amazing single core performance.

I had an account called Joegeddon active since April 20th 2015

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | XFX RADEON RX580 8GB XXX | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Thermaltake Versa H22 | Corsair RM550x PSU | MSI AM4 B450M-A PRO Motherboard

1TB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB M.2 WD BLUE SSD

Laptop - Asus UX303UA

Intel i7 6500U | Intel 530 Graphics | 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 256GB SATA 3 SSD

i7 over Xeon for gaming. 2.4/3.3 Ghz is really going to hurt you in gaming and any application that doesn't use all 14 cores. IMO you're better off with the 6950x for both applications.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

The area is a bit tricky with these CPUs since you seek something that works for both heavy multithreaded loads ánd gaming performance which benefits more from fewer, faster cores like the people above me pretty much already stated. The i7 6950X is definitely the better choice then except for the fact that I'm furiously jealous of you, you lucky s.o.a.b. :dry:

15 minutes ago, hareshparmar_arch said:

i am building a workstation for fastest renderings  possible (revit,sketchup,3dsmax,lumion)...but i also want 4k gaming as smooth as possible..

i7 6950x or xeon 2680 v4???

You should also remember that most of the frame rendering for 4K is done on your GPU, not CPU.

27 minutes ago, Joe_MacDougall said:

Do you need 14 cores and 28 threads? Also the single core performance on the i7 is better. Depends on what you're doing.

I would go with the i7 6950X because that would definitely be better for the gaming side of things. However when it comes to gaming the i7 6700K is the best in benchmarks because of the amazing single core performance.

ya but that would make my renderings worst...

Just now, hareshparmar_arch said:

ya but that would make my renderings worst...

I think 20 threads is enough plus you'll get way better gaming performance from the i7 6950X.

I had an account called Joegeddon active since April 20th 2015

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | XFX RADEON RX580 8GB XXX | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Thermaltake Versa H22 | Corsair RM550x PSU | MSI AM4 B450M-A PRO Motherboard

1TB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB 7200RPM HDD | 500GB M.2 WD BLUE SSD

Laptop - Asus UX303UA

Intel i7 6500U | Intel 530 Graphics | 12GB 1600MHz DDR3 | 256GB SATA 3 SSD

26 minutes ago, Mina Darsh said:

The area is a bit tricky with these CPUs since you seek something that works for both heavy multithreaded loads ánd gaming performance which benefits more from fewer, faster cores like the people above me pretty much already stated. The i7 6950X is definitely the better choice then except for the fact that I'm furiously jealous of you, you lucky s.o.a.b. :dry:

i tend to use 1080 sli ...or waiting on 1080 Ti ...my only concern is CPU ...i m an architect ...i m betting heavy money on this build...its gonna be my only built atleast for next few years...so i desperately need to get it RIght somehow....

25 minutes ago, YoFavRussian said:

You should also remember that most of the frame rendering for 4K is done on your GPU, not CPU.

didnt knew that...thanks...so 6950x ??....dont mind i lack computer knowledge...

36 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

4K Gaming is dependent on the video card, not the processor. At least if you're already using high-end processors.

its my first built and will remain my first built atleast for few years....so gotta get this right...i need fastest rendering but also want 4k gaming

38 minutes ago, pyrojoe34 said:

i7 over Xeon for gaming. 2.4/3.3 Ghz is really going to hurt you in gaming and any application that doesn't use all 14 cores. IMO you're better off with the 6950x for both applications.

thanks...

actually it shouldn't be much of an issue . sure single thread performance isn't great ( around a bit more than that of an i5 6400 ) , but at 4k so much load is put on the gpu that you  really won't see much of a difference as the cpu won't be loaded much . At 1080p however ...

I would still suggest the 6950x because of the higher clocks . The xeon has 40% more cores , but once overclocked the i7 can easily get 70%+ performance boost over the xeon in single thread performance and should pull ahead because of this.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 hours ago, hareshparmar_arch said:

I would say go for the 6950X. The xeon downclocks when most cores are loaded, so it's probably realistically closer to 2.2-2.6GHz (Only turboing to 3.3Ghz if 1-4 cores are loaded). I have a Xeon E5-2695V3, 14 core 28 thread at 2.2GHz in my home NAS, and for games that use single cores, it's quite bad. It chokes really hard when it comes to heavy gaming because the game would only use one core at 2.2GHz. However, it eats my 2500K alive at rendering, even beating out my coustin's 5820K overclocked (4.4GHz...could go more, but the AIO cooler could not handle the heat). But the 2500K (OC to 4.6GHz in my PC) is a much better CPU to game on.

Revit relies more on CPU power. GPU is mostly for shading / preview.

Also, make sure you have a really good CPU cooler.