Computer boots up but nothing on screen, z170 pro gaming red light on ram.

xStorM
Go to solution Solved by Evanair,

According to a few other forums, that motherboard has harder than normal ram slots. Even when they click sometimes they don't seat correctly. Try using a little more force once they are in. Don't use a hammer or anything... 

What the title says, My computer turns on (Fans spinning, Cooler fan spinning, Motherboards led lights turn on) but my gpu fan starts spinning and then stops (dont know if thats supposed to happen (im new) ) There is a red light right beside the ram that turns on its called "dram led" Also,I dont here the beeps that you are supposed to hear, so i dont know whats wrong. Please help my first pc build and i am a big newb haha!

Specs:
NZXT s340 Case
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Mobo
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz and 2 sticks of 8 GB
Cooler Master Hyper 112 LED
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1060
EVGA 650G power suply

43 minutes ago, mvitkun said:

Try installing your graphics card in one of the other pcie slots. 

Its not even booting up to the bios without gpu

make sure the RAM is all the way in.  sometimes it may look seated but not.  

"Cheapness is not a skill"

1 hour ago, davidna2002 said:

make sure the RAM is all the way in.  sometimes it may look seated but not.  

It is fully in.

20 minutes ago, xStorM said:

It is fully in.

You might try reseating it again. I actually had this issue on my ASUS Z77 motherboard...I had to reseat the RAM four times because apparently my board was really sensitive to how the RAM was placed in (If it was even a little off, it wouldn't work).

Also, try pressing the DRAM okay button (Your board should have one).

If that doesn't work, try clearing CMOS

18 hours ago, scottyseng said:

You might try reseating it again. I actually had this issue on my ASUS Z77 motherboard...I had to reseat the RAM four times because apparently my board was really sensitive to how the RAM was placed in (If it was even a little off, it wouldn't work).

Also, try pressing the DRAM okay button (Your board should have one).

If that doesn't work, try clearing CMOS

Reseating the ram doesn't fix it. I don't know if this means anything but when I turn my PC on the Light on the right goes from cpu to ram and then stays on ram. 

I cant seem to find the DRAM okay button, will it say in the manual where it is?

And i have tried clearing CMOS, doesnt fix.

1 minute ago, xStorM said:

Reseating the ram doesn't fix it. I don't know if this means anything but when I turn my PC on the Light on the right goes from cpu to ram and then stays on ram. 

I cant seem to find the DRAM okay button, will it say in the manual where it is?

And i have tried clearing CMOS, doesnt fix.

Ah, sorry, your board doesn't have it (I have a older ASUS board).

Hmm, have you tried using only one stick of RAM / trying each individual slot? When the motherboard gets stuck on RAM, it's some kind of RAM issue (For me, the RAM wasn't seated in all the way) or a RAM stick died.

5 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Ah, sorry, your board doesn't have it (I have a older ASUS board).

Hmm, have you tried using only one stick of RAM / trying each individual slot? When the motherboard gets stuck on RAM, it's some kind of RAM issue (For me, the RAM wasn't seated in all the way) or a RAM stick died.

Is there any way the mobo could be causing this problem? I will try this im just wondering.

Just now, xStorM said:

Is there any way the mobo could be causing this problem? I will try this im just wondering.

It's also possible. It's not unheard of to have motherboards arrive dead (As with any PC part).

I will try to use one and put in all slots, ill get back to you after im done this.

5 minutes ago, xStorM said:

I will try to use one and put in all slots, ill get back to you after im done this.

Yeah, you might need to try both ram sticks separately. It's possible one is bad but the other isn't. Or maybe certain RAM slots have issues on your board.

54 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, you might need to try both ram sticks separately. It's possible one is bad but the other isn't. Or maybe certain RAM slots have issues on your board.

Nope, doesn't work. I tried both sticks in all slots, still red light and no video siginal.

Take your cooler off and take out the cpu, then simply put it back in and the cooler back on.

29 minutes ago, xYowie said:

Take your cooler off and take out the cpu, then simply put it back in and the cooler back on.

That will fix it? xD

6 minutes ago, xStorM said:

That will fix it? xD

Fixed it for me, i have z170-a and 6700k and the dram led was stuck red until i reseated the cpu

5 hours ago, xStorM said:

Nope, doesn't work. I tried both sticks in all slots, still red light and no video siginal.

Yeah, I would try poking with the CPU as mentioned above. Either something is dead, or something is loose.

According to a few other forums, that motherboard has harder than normal ram slots. Even when they click sometimes they don't seat correctly. Try using a little more force once they are in. Don't use a hammer or anything... 

On 12/7/2016 at 8:16 PM, xYowie said:

Fixed it for me, i have z170-a and 6700k and the dram led was stuck red until i reseated the cpu

didnt work

On 12/8/2016 at 0:08 AM, scottyseng said:

Yeah, I would try poking with the CPU as mentioned above. Either something is dead, or something is loose.

I tried it, no luck :/

On 12/8/2016 at 1:09 AM, Evanair said:

i did that and no it flashes cpu, then flashes ram, then stays on vga

Just now, xStorM said:

i did that and no it flashes cpu, then flashes ram, then stays on vga

oh no it flashed vga and then stays on bootdevice