The ''Girlfriend'' build

Ok, the time has finally come, I got my girlfriend so far to finally consider buying her own rig.

Use case:

So she likes games, not as much as I do but she pulls me away from my own PC to occasionally play some Overwatch and stuff like that. We like to play together a lot too, either on console or with my pc hooked up to the telly. She used to have a laptop on which she played a lot of games with me online but that one is now too old and doesn’t run games as fast anymore. So, after me carefully working her up to the idea she’s opening up to buying her own, so she can play with me again and to do some other casual things.

She wants:

The PC to last for at least 5 years (besides the GPU) so she can still somewhat play games in 5 years, although maybe on low/medium. I know, 5 years is a long time, and anything can happen in those years, faulty components, leaps in graphics and tech, ect. I told her it was a stretch but that’s what she wants.

All this, for a reasonable price.

So I went to work and put together a machine that might not be as powerful but should be very reliable, good components, long lasting stuff. This is what I came up with using alternate.at.

(Mind you, I do live in Europe, prices are in euros and comparatively more expensive as in the US)

PCU: Cooler Master G550M 550W                              €69
Cooler Master is a reliable brand and 550W seems like a good way to go with this build.

SSD: Mushkin MKNSSDTR480GB 480 GB                 €117
Good €/GB

RAM: Kingston HyperX DIMM 8GB DDR4-2133         €60
Very happy with my own HyperX RAM (DDR4-2400)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-6500                                         €207
Best value i-5

Cooler: Noctua NH-D14                                                €75
Seemingly best Air Cooler.

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X 3G              €269
1070 too expensive and 1050 underperforms

Tower: Sharkoon MA-M1000                                       €35

Cheap

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-H110M-S2PV H110                €65
Good GIGABYTE experiences, enough USB and other kinds of ports. Enough slots for whatever she needs.

This comes out on roughly 900 Euro.

BUT, she thinks it is too expensive, which is understandable. But I don’t really know where to cut as I don’t want her ending up with a machine that either fails or lacks behind in horse power in the next 5 years. Keeping in mind I did choose this rig so it could be upgraded in the future (extra ram, ssd, new GPU)

My question. Should she just bite the bullet or is there still something to be done? Am I maybe over reaching with some components? I’d like to know your opinions on the matter, maybe I even made a grave mistake somewhere. I've tried making compromises but they just don't feel right to me.

It's my first post on here, sorry it was such a long one. Thanks in advance!

I know the NH-D14 is an epic cooler, but it's completely overkill.

A CM hyper 212 will be plenty.

Also if you are planning to keep it that long i would get an rx 480. That should last longer than the 1060 3GB.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I would get an EVGA G2, G3, P2, PS, T2 unit instead of the CM one. It is much better and will last longer. You also don't to buy a $75 cooler if a cooler at all. That's a waste of money. For the GPU, I would get an rx470 and in 2 or so years you can get the price-point equivalent then. Other than that, looks good

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Also if you are planning to keep it that long i would get an rx 480. That should last longer than the 1060 3GB.

They sadly only offer the CM hyper TX3, but it got a bunch of good reviews too.

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

In fact the stock cooler is more than enough :P 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€215.61 @ Mindfactory) 
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€53.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (€52.89 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Silicon Power S60 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€114.25 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 470 4GB G1 Gaming Video Card  (€200.39 @ Mindfactory) 
Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case  (€48.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (€72.87 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €758.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-05 21:14 CET+0100

Something like this? :D 

Just now, SCGazelle said:

I would get an EVGA G2, G3, P2, PS, T2 unit instead of the CM one. It is much better and will last longer. 

That's just overkill...something like a SS S12II is more than high enough quality to even power a 1080 and i7 6700k (assuming it has the wattage capacity)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I gotta agree with Sam on that cooler & additionally, unless you're overclocking which that i5-6500 can't do then the intel stock cooler is just fine.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

If you want to "future proof" (For lack of a better term) than get an i7, or at least an i5k sku so you can overclock later.  

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

In fact the stock cooler is more than enough :P 

-snip-

Yes, i agree with that, but if you have such a budget i would spent a little bit of it on a nice air cooler to keep the noise and temps down. :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, Mike Soda said:

I gotta agree with Sam on that cooler & additionally, unless you're overclocking which that i5-6500 can't do then the intel stock cooler is just fine.

The stock cooler is included with the processor I assume?

Just now, Orangey said:

The stock cooler is included with the processor I assume?

Yep :) 

Yes, i agree with that, but if you have such a budget i would spent a little bit of it on a nice air cooler to keep the noise and temps down. :P

Fair enough.

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

My girlfriend says ''Thanks'' to all of you, with these tips I think we'll be able to find a more affordable rig!

2 minutes ago, Orangey said:

My girlfriend says ''Thanks'' to all of you, with these tips I think we'll be able to find a more affordable rig!

Psst, little note, if you are wondering what to play next with your SO, lego games are a good option :P

Especially the newer ones with some nice controllers. I recently started to play LEGO marvel super heroes and it's much more fun than i expected. Even tho i don't know anything about it.

Psst, little note, if you are wondering what to play next with your SO, lego games are a good option :P

Especially the newer ones with some nice controllers. I recently started to play LEGO marvel super heroes and it's much more fun than i expected. Even tho i don't know anything about it.

Gang Beasts is a pretty cool game as well.

Just now, Hulkbert said:

Gang Beasts is a pretty cool game as well.

Man, we laughed so hard at that game. Lego is still something we have to dive in sooner or later :) ATM we are playing Salt & Sanctuary and Red Rope, both games ar brutal @.@ So we could probably use the chance of pace.