PC power on issue

Boyo901

Hello everyone!

I could really do with some help if possible.

I recently was on my pc playing a game with a friend when the screen went black. I waited a while and nothing happened. So i pressed the power button once and it shut down. I then went to bed and left it off. Next day i tried booting it up and nothing happened. Checked all the cables etc and everything was ok. The motherboard has a light on to show it's still getting power from the psu. But i don't understand why it wont start. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers :)

Your graphics card is probably a little bit unplugged from the motherboard. Take the graphics card out and get a cloth and clean the pins that go into the motherboard. Then put it back in the motherboard and see if it works. If it doesn't please respond as i would like to fix this issue.

CPU: i7-6700K | Motherboard: MSI Z170A Krait Gaming 3X | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4-2666 Memory

Solid State Drives: Two PNY 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drives | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply | Case: Thermaltake Core V71 ATX Full Tower Case.

PCPartPicker

9 minutes ago, Joseph Hartness said:

Your graphics card is probably a little bit unplugged from the motherboard. Take the graphics card out and get a cloth and clean the pins that go into the motherboard. Then put it back in the motherboard and see if it works. If it doesn't please respond as i would like to fix this issue.

I tried it without the graphics card and the pc doesn't boot at all. Like it's as if the power is off (which it isn't). But like i said above, the pc is getting power still. Just nothing happens when i try turn it on. Im beginning to believe something is wrong with the motherboard. Thanks for the quick reply!

38 minutes ago, Boyo901 said:

I tried it without the graphics card and the pc doesn't boot at all. Like it's as if the power is off (which it isn't). But like i said above, the pc is getting power still. Just nothing happens when i try turn it on. Im beginning to believe something is wrong with the motherboard. Thanks for the quick reply!

No idea what to do :(

A couple questions, because I was having a similar issue (in my case, it was a bad psu)

• What psu do you have?
  • How long have you had it?
  • Do you have any other psus? If so, try testing the computer with that one to see if it works then.
  • Maybe the power supply is not powerful enough? Do you have a pcpartpicker link for your pc?

Hopefully I can help :)

Comic Sans is the best font.

14 minutes ago, DeDra said:

A couple questions, because I was having a similar issue (in my case, it was a bad psu)

• What psu do you have?
  • How long have you had it?
  • Do you have any other psus? If so, try testing the computer with that one to see if it works then.
  • Maybe the power supply is not powerful enough? Do you have a pcpartpicker link for your pc?

Hopefully I can help :)

Ive had it almost 2 years now. Without any fault's. Here is the link;

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Boyo901/saved/VLjZLk

Unfortunately i don't have another psu :(

3 minutes ago, Boyo901 said:

Unfortunately i don't have another psu :(

Okay. Do you know anyone who may have any spares that you could borrow? 

If not, try this: http://www.howtogeek.com/172933/how-can-i-test-my-computers-power-supply/

You could also try shorting out the motherboard power pins to see if it's just the power button.

13 minutes ago, DeDra said:

Okay. Do you know anyone who may have any spares that you could borrow? 

If not, try this: http://www.howtogeek.com/172933/how-can-i-test-my-computers-power-supply/

You could also try shorting out the motherboard power pins to see if it's just the power button.

I don't unfortunately :(

The psu seems to be giving power out thought that's what i don't understand as the motherboard light is on.

How do i do the shorting thing? I'm kinda new to this haha!

21 minutes ago, Boyo901 said:

How do i do the shorting thing? I'm kinda new to this haha!

It's really simple. Just unplug the power button cable from the power button header on the motherboard, then using a screwdriver, touch both the pins that the cable was taken off of, being careful not to bend the header on the motherboard or touch anything else. It should just turn on normally. Hopefully this works! :)

25 minutes ago, DeDra said:

It's really simple. Just unplug the power button cable from the power button header on the motherboard, then using a screwdriver, touch both the pins that the cable was taken off of, being careful not to bend the header on the motherboard. It should just turn on normally. Hopefully this works! :)

I'll see if i can find a tutorial haha!